• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hit craigs list up this spring in a couple of months to find all the winter toys on sale...

Yeppers.

CL typically has good deals on generators when shops and businesses decide to move on to bigger and better things. Just need a couple grand to land a really nice gen set.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The generator dump has already started. CL is full of "got this for the ice storm, never used it," ads. Most want 90% or better of what they paid though.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm also thinking about running multiple generators and "adding on" as funds permit.
    I would be interested in shibumseeker's opinion on this also. As Our resident Alt Power Guru...

Mine from the eyes of an Army Mechanic. I prefer to run Generators in pairs. By this I do NOT mean Simultaneously. I mean run one for XX hours, start the other one confirm output is within spec, flip the transfer switch to change the "load" generator, and shut the other one down for Maintenance. I prefer either 12 or 24 hour "up" cycles...

Plus running 2 in this type of setup allows me ample time to go crap this genny is junk I need to switch it out... ;)
    The generator dump has already started. CL is full of "got this for the ice storm, never used it," ads. Most want 90% or better of what they paid though.
    That was why I said wait a couple of Months...
    After bumping their legs on them in the Garage for a while you would be surprised at how much the prices will drop...

That is why I am shopping for my next quad now. ;)

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The portables? Knock-offs, and they just dropped the entire line of portables, and will have a new product line to dump on the market in 2011. In this case, Honda is #1 for a reason.

For the larger residentail units, they use Generac motors, which are fine, and have a great service following.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    IMHO there is no easy way to feed two or more generators into one single switch. I.E. two generators feeding once transfer switch at the same time. If you ran your furnace on one and the rest of your house on another it would require two emergency transfer switches, one for each generator tied to specific loads in your home.

As a general rule of thumb I have learned two is one and one is none.. That being said, the alternating use of more then one generators is a wise choice to lessen the abuse on a particular unit.

I would also suggest keeping a log book with run hours, oil changes, air filter maintenances, etc for each unit. Also keep plenty of oil, spare air filters, oil filters, spark plugs, etc on hand.

Just my two pennies and remember, I don't know anything..

Top Bottom