• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Until you add the batteries and inverter into the mix :D Even a cheap trolling motor battery is going to run you $70 and a cheap 1-2kw inverter that will most likely die a hideous death right when the microwave *almost* has the chili defrosted is going to be $150-200. Might as well buy that Champion 3500 watt generator for $250 and be done with it!

I built a couple of engine-alternator sets when I was just starting out in alternative energy and gave it up as a lost cause.

You do not have to convince me that there are better routes to take than this Junk Yard Generator. I was just saying Most could build one out of the stuff that is laying around their homes if worst came to worst. Most people tend to just throw their hands in the air and try to wait it out for help. Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath look around where you are and Macguyver it...

Personally, I prefer a real generator myself.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I gather that. ;) I guess I will have to go look. I'm guessing it's less that 1 hp.

I am going to suspect it is a 120VAC Blower Motor...

A 1Hp motor should be around 750 watts, roughly...

The Data plate on the motor should tell you either the Wattage or the Amperage then just apply Ohm's Law...

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Since this is the generator q&a thread, I've got a question... What size generator is needed to power the blower on a gas furnace?

My furnace is on a 15Amp breaker, so anything over 1500 Watts should work.

If you are getting something just for emergency use, 3500-5000 Watts is acceptible.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You do not have to convince me that there are better routes to take than this Junk Yard Generator. I was just saying Most could build one out of the stuff that is laying around their homes if worst came to worst. Most people tend to just throw their hands in the air and try to wait it out for help. Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath look around where you are and Macguyver it...

If it wasn't for them, those of us involved in disaster response would be bored...

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I know next to nothing about generators but would like to get one. What kind of appliances, how many lights (60 w bulbs), etc. can you run on 3500 watt generator? How do I calculate the wattage and what would happen if I exceeded the wattage? Like I said, you're dealing with a real dummy here when it comes to generators. Finally how do you run the electricity inside from a detached garage? Would you use an extension cord?

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    3500 watts is a little more than 2 15A circuits.
    That's like a fridge and a few lights on one, and a microwave on the other.
    Look on the nomenclature tags of your appliances to see how much power they use.
    Or there are charts online.
    Google ohms law (Power in watts = voltage x current)

Usually if you exceed the wattage a breaker will trip.

Keep the generator outside of the garage, the fumes can kill you.
    use only 12ga. or larger extension cords.

When you are done with the genny, shut off the fuel supply and let it run dry, that way the carb will not gum up.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I know next to nothing about generators but would like to get one. What kind of appliances, how many lights (60 w bulbs), etc. can you run on 3500 watt generator? How do I calculate the wattage and what would happen if I exceeded the wattage? Like I said, you're dealing with a real dummy here when it comes to generators. Finally how do you run the electricity inside from a detached garage? Would you use an extension cord?

For lights and TV and the like, all you need to do is add up the wattages. A 3500 watt generator could run 35 100 watt lightbulbs :D

It gets complicated when you want to run something with a motor like the fridge or air conditioner, well pump, or shop tool. Then you need 2-3 times running wattage for the starting wattage. So an air conditoner that was rated at 1500 watts probably wouldn't start on a 3500 watt generator, or you might have to disconnect all other appliances, and once it started you could then reconnect them. Something to be aware of, cheaper generators often do not allow you to draw the full wattage from one plug, the split it into two legs, so in a 3500 watt generator, each leg can provide only 1750 watts, so your ability to start a motor is even less.

If you exceed the wattage generally you just trip the breaker.

You could run an extension cord (a very heavy gauge one) from the non attached garage, but even with the main door open I wouldn't spend much time in there, carbon monoxide builds up rapidly, even with the door and window open. Do NOT run one in an attached garage.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    One thing to keep in mind about generators is that they are rated/advertised differently. For example a Honda EU3000i is rated at 3000 watts. Invertor provides good clean power that is suitable for electronics. Cost $1500 and what I wanted. In contrast I just bought a cheap 4000 watt generator for emergencies. Advertised 4000 watts (peak power), but actually puts out 2800 watts. Cost $350 or what I can afford.

What will 2800 watts run? Well two space heaters running on high will run but they really make the unit work. So, one space heater, my fridge and a few lights. Fridge and freezer in the summer. The small air conditioner in my camper (should pull similar power to my milk house heater). Electric hotplate for cooking. I don't plan on hooking it up to my tv or computer. I would be conservative in what you decide to power.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Related question but somewhat seperate thought. The generator I bought has a pos/neg hookup labeled 12 volt. If I were to hook my 12 volt invertor from my car to these leads, wouldn't this basically give me a sort of poor mans invertor? The downside is that I would be limited to 400 - 800 watts but the power should be clean enough to run a computer or charging electronics.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    What will 2800 watts run? Well two space heaters running on high will run but they really make the unit work.

That's 3000 watts, watch yer cords......
    :laugh:

To get the most out of these units, you have to access the twistlock plug.
    If you have a 120v twistlock, it is not too hard to make an adapter to break it out to individual circuits.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    VERT;1632571 The generator I bought has a pos/neg hookup labeled 12 volt. .[/quote said:
    Look in the book and see how many amps you can draw from the 12v outputs.
    I am going to take a guess and say no, it wont work.

(800 watts at 12volts is 66 amps)

But you can charge a car battery with those outputs.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    woowoo2, shibumiseeker, vert, Thanks for the info! That helps me understand what I might need just for basic needs. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    For lights and TV and the like, all you need to do is add up the wattages. A 3500 watt generator could run 35 100 watt lightbulbs :D

It gets complicated when you want to run something with a motor like the fridge or air conditioner, well pump, or shop tool. Then you need 2-3 times running wattage for the starting wattage. So an air conditoner that was rated at 1500 watts probably wouldn't start on a 3500 watt generator, or you might have to disconnect all other appliances, and once it started you could then reconnect them. Something to be aware of, cheaper generators often do not allow you to draw the full wattage from one plug, the split it into two legs, so in a 3500 watt generator, each leg can provide only 1750 watts, so your ability to start a motor is even less.

If you exceed the wattage generally you just trip the breaker.

You could run an extension cord (a very heavy gauge one) from the non attached garage, but even with the main door open I wouldn't spend much time in there, carbon monoxide builds up rapidly, even with the door and window open. Do NOT run one in an attached garage.

Do they make a generator that doesn't sound like a jackhammer? The ones I've heard in my neighborhood generally make enough noise to keep everyone around them awake all night.

Top Bottom