Selective Service... is it constitutional???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Honor, duty, responsibility are just terms for slavery, and if you are not a slave then you have none of those, do you?

In a free country, one may choose to shirk such things w/out reprisal. One may also choose to accept them. Choice is the key. While I would resist a draft (violently if necessary), I would drive to the armory & volunteer if I were needed for a just cause (repel invaders).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I signed up for the Draft as soon as I became of age.
    In fact I still have my draft card around here somewhere.

Course at my age, if I burned my Draft Card nobody would care... LOL

SERIOUSLY though, in the event of a major attack/war there needs to be a mechanism in place to get the manpower mobilized as quickly as possible to defend the country.

Even with this in place, it'll take some months for newly trained soldiers to make it through training.

Imagine how much longer it would take if there was no mechanism in place?

Whether it's constitutional isn't the issue to me in this case.
    If an individual feels no obligation to be available to defend their country in the event of a major attack/war, then they should find a country they can be loyal to and go there...

You're serious? Think about that line of reasoning for a minute. See where that has led. I'm not gonna post the inevitable Hitler/Stalin/Mao pics, but seriously. We're on a forum where the 2A is held right below the Gospel in importance, and you're telling me that it's not an issue if the draft is constitutional. :n00b:

I will happily (well, willingly. I'm not happy to have to kill folk.) sign up and I'll bring my own equipment if necessary to be able to defend this nation. But if this nation decides to be the aggressor, if it decides to be the one who by rights should lose because it decides to interfere with other nations for unjust reasons and purposes, then I will just as happily languish in prison rather than let a nation that stands for freedom spread tyrrany abroad.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In a free country, one may choose to shirk such things w/out reprisal. One may also choose to accept them. Choice is the key. While I would resist a draft (violently if necessary), I would drive to the armory & volunteer if I were needed for a just cause (repel invaders).

and if there were not sufficient volunteers? After all, why should I sign up, that's why we have a gubmint. To deal with this sort of thing. As has been pointed out, WW2 was staffed mostly by draftees. I seriously doubt we would have a higher rate of volunteers if the enemy came here.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I find it interesting what people decide all on their own is or isn't Constitutional. I can't see how anyone can be so sure about this. Congress has the power to raise an Army, it doesn't say how it must do so.

I don't agree with the draft, but Supreme Courts going back a very long time have said it's Constitutional. No, that alone doesn't make it so, but it must be taken into account.

Unfortunately you're right. The draft is constitutional by ruling of the Supreme Court. But I still think they screwed up that decision.

As to slavery, what do you pure libertarians think about military discipline? If I sign up voluntarily, I still must follow someone else's orders. I can't just quit whenever I want. In your pure view, should I be able to resign from the military I voluntarily joined if I get an order I don't like, or I'm sent to a war I dont' agree with? Isn't that a form of slavery too, according to your argument?

Not sure If I would call myself a pure libertarian, but if you volunteer then yes you should be subject to military discipline, and no you shouldn't be allowed to quit until your enlistment is up. You entered a contract with the US government. Not sure if the other branches have a similiar slogan, but USMC= U Signed a MotherF---ing Contract. I support the military and think it can be a great option for many people coming out of high school, but I just think that idea of forced servitude to the Government via the draft in the name of freedom is abhorrent.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    and if there were not sufficient volunteers? After all, why should I sign up, that's why we have a gubmint. To deal with this sort of thing. As has been pointed out, WW2 was staffed mostly by draftees. I seriously doubt we would have a higher rate of volunteers if the enemy came here.

If there aren't enough willing volunteers, then we either deserve to be overran or the war isn't just. FDR did illegal things to toss our hat into the WWII circle to sate our ill-advised entangling alliance with Britain.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If there aren't enough willing volunteers, then we either deserve to be overran or the war isn't just. FDR did illegal things to toss our hat into the WWII circle to sate our ill-advised entangling alliance with Britain.

So using WW2 as the example. If we were taken over by Germany/Japan, we would deserve it. Certainly would have cut down on enjoying all your rights then...

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I think the draft is a bad idea also. If you don't want to serve I sure don't want you covering my back either. Some think wars are unjust some think they are.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So using WW2 as the example. If we were taken over by Germany/Japan, we would deserve it. Certainly would have cut down on enjoying all your rights then...

Had they invaded the US, I'm sure plenty of volunteers would have stepped up. Remember that WWI & the Treaty of Versailles caused the European portion of WWII & that oil embargoes caused the Pacific portion of WWII. It's not like we were just sitting here all innocent, freely trading with all other nations & minding our own business when all of a sudden we got attacked for no reason... :rolleyes:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Not sure If I would call myself a pure libertarian, but if you volunteer then yes you should be subject to military discipline, and no you shouldn't be allowed to quit until your enlistment is up. You entered a contract with the US government. Not sure if the other branches have a similiar slogan, but USMC= U Signed a MotherF---ing Contract. I support the military and think it can be a great option for many people coming out of high school, but I just think that idea of forced servitude to the Government via the draft in the name of freedom is abhorrent.

In other words, you understand that freedom isn't free and you are perfectly fine allowing someone eles to pay your share.:patriot:

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by $mooth
    Canada has had conscription in the past as well (WWI and WWII)

But unless you're a Canadian citizen, they cannot conscript you just because you're within their borders at a time of conscription.

Thats exactly what i was talking about...a repeat of the draft dogers years gone by

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You got a card? I remember filling one out, but dont remember getting one in return. Dont deny yourself one of those government cush jobs sign up.:patriot:

I got one, filled it out, took it to the post office and got a letter in return with a number on it. I still have it, almost 30 years later.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    In other words, you understand that freedom isn't free and you are perfectly fine allowing someone eles to pay your share.:patriot:

Well if 5 years of VOLUNTARY service in the Marine Corps and 3 deployments to Iraq isn't my fair share then call me a coward.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago

There are always reprisals for everything, be it legal or social. If you lie then people don't trust you, if you want people to trust you then you are forced to tell the truth. Also, you have have slavery in a free country, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Also, i would not suggest going to an Armory to get a weapon is we were invaded. Life isn't a tv show, the military would tell you to get lost.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

FDR started drafting people in 1940. Before Pearl Harbor. Just because he could.

You're arguing to take people's share. :noway:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Had they invaded the US, I'm sure plenty of volunteers would have stepped up. Remember that WWI & the Treaty of Versailles caused the European portion of WWII & that oil embargoes caused the Pacific portion of WWII. It's not like we were just sitting here all innocent, freely trading with all other nations & minding our own business when all of a sudden we got attacked for no reason... :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure the volunteers would be so easy to get now. Heck a lot of people stand around while other people get attacked all the time. There has been a lot of work done to make the citizens think their own country is crap. Don't hold your breath waiting for people to drop the X-box controller and put their necks on the line for something they hardly respect.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are always reprisals for everything, be it legal or social.

The potential reprisal for an American male not complying with enslavement via conscription is the threat of imprisonment or death. That's not exactly equivalent to a social stigma...

I'm not so sure the volunteers would be so easy to get now. Heck a lot of people stand around while other people get attacked all the time. There has been a lot of work done to make the citizens think their own country is crap. Don't hold your breath waiting for people to drop the X-box controller and put their necks on the line for something they hardly respect.

If we can't raise enough volunteers for a just cause, then our nation is already lost. Enslaving people isn't going to fix it at that point.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well if 5 years of VOLUNTARY service in the Marine Corps and 3 deployments to Iraq isn't my fair share then call me a coward.

Well my apologies, Marine. I may just be having a "senior moment" with this whole discussion equating military service by conscription with slavery. I see it as a rationalization by two-faced pussies, yet wavers of the flag of patriotism. Back in 78 I sent my selective service card and in 83 I enlisted. Again, my apologies.

Top Bottom