Selective Service... is it constitutional???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "decided", huh? Like some have "decided" that they cannot carry weapons with them because legislation forbids it, I suppose?

Yes, "decided". All of those people "decided" to sign that document, unless you have proof they were "forced" to sign it.

You make a "decision" to get out of bed every day. You make a "decision" to put on clothes every day.
    If you drive, you make a "decision" to follow the rules of the road.

As I stated previously, your "decisions" have consequences. Even "indecision" sometimes has consequences.

The OP, or anyone else for that matter, makes a free-will "decision" to live by the law of the land or not, and the actions that they take as a result of their "decisions" will, as I said, have consequences.

If the OP "decides to sign the selective service forms, that simply means he/she is registered for service. It does not guarantee a "call to arms", nor does his/her "decision NOT to sign, guarantee a summons to court.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There's a real easy way to avoid signing up for the selective service,
    JOIN THE MILITARY!

I volunteered for the Marine Corps. in 1977 without a second thought.
    Viet Nam was barely over, but we were at peace.
    I served my four years during the cold-war.

Things are different now, by a LONG shot, but I would go again now,
    today, if my country called.

To the OP, what you do is your decision. You'll have to live with the consequences it brings.

I just hope you appreciate the men and women that decided to sign that selective service form.

Remember, if you're not willing to stand behind our military,
    you're more than welcome to stand in front of them!:patriot:
    That is not a valid way to get out of signing up for SS. You must still sign up. My father found this out almost 20 years after joining the USN when the SS informed him that he had never signed up and was required to do so, despite having already been in the USN for 20 years.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That is not a valid way to get out of signing up for SS. You must still sign up. My father found this out almost 20 years after joining the USN when the SS informed him that he had never signed up and was required to do so, despite having already been in the USN for 20 years.

I'll be damned! Learn something new everyday!

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    ok. wow. didnt expect 13 pages:): but I guess I should have made myself clear, that like others have said its an argument against being forced to and volunteering. again why is there still a draft if there are TONS of people going into the military daily? also what about marshal law?? which yes, I believe we are heading towards like a freight train... could they call the selective service in for patrolling our own streets??? (as like the national guard did during Katrina) just a thought that was wondering about... again, not that I dont want to serve, but the military is not what it used to be, and Vietnam was the last real "war". anyway yeah I will be sending it in obviously. appreciate the insight.
    -TW

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I too am curious as to how a draft is "constitutional".

Yes congress has the right to raise an army, but where does it say by conscription? Isn't the recruiting process the method that is being employed for that? And doesn't that recruiting process meet the restrictions imposed by the constitution in that it is not forceable?

Just because a method is not working as well as the government wants it to, doesn't mean that it can just throw off the "chains" which bind it and do whatever it wants to do make it's "quota". That's the problem we have now. It's the slippery slope and boy are they more than happy to go sliding down that one.

For the folks that say it was necessary to "make a difference". Really? I mean REALLY? Is that the argument you are going to use? That is the same argument that can applied to the restriction or elimination of every single one of our "rights".

It would sure "make a difference" to the amount of "gun violence" we have here in America if we totally ban firearms from general ownership. Only one allowed to buy a firearm is a government entity. Manufacturers would not be allowed to sell them to the general public and could only build them in "approved" facilities where every part and every gun is tracked. Then impose an automatic death penalty that can be administered by police on the street for violators of the ban! Boy would that make a difference!

Seriously, it would. Let's not stop there!

Heck, it would sure "make a difference" if government agents (police, feds, etc.) could just shoot you if they "thought" you committed a crime or "thought" you might be "thinking" about committing one! ... boy there would be a whole lot less criminals! Less over crowded jails! Probably a lot of dead innocent people too but hey, no one's really "innocent" are they? Got to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelet!

Ridiculous.

This has nothing to do with chest bumping or talk about how much people who don't want to go to war (especially if that war is something we should probably not be involved in).

This is another fine example of how we are easily divided. There are many people who don't seem to "get it". To support the rights (that is supposed to be) protected by the constitution we must support them ALL.

So far, how's the "we just support the rights that we think are important to us personally" been working out?

Not too good as far as I can tell.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    again why is there still a draft if there are TONS of people going into the military daily?
    The draft and forcible registration of citizens continues to exist so that the next totalitarian president can make his pawns dance for him in his real-life game of Risk.

Just look at the past tyrant presidents who used the draft... Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, Johnson... unsurprisingly these are four of the most totalitarian presidents in American history.

also what about marshal law?? which yes, I believe we are heading towards like a freight train... could they call the selective service in for patrolling our own streets??? (as like the national guard did during Katrina) just a thought that was wondering about...
    Sounds like talk of dissent. Maybe we should have the obedient troops round you up and lock you in prison... the same way Lincoln, Wilson, & FDR handled your kind. Oh yes.. the same guys who conscripted Americans and committed all sorts of other atrocities. Tyrannical policies go well with other tyrannical policies.

You bring up a good point that I was going to make. What does it take for a nationalist to take off their rose-colored glasses in regard to authoritarian control of citizens? What if the war was OBVIOUSLY wrong, even moreso than usual?

What if you're being drafted to fight a civil war against U.S. states who secede from this Federal tyranny? Will you "answer the call" to kill your countrymen and protect the Federal dominion over the republic? Hypothetical of course.

Will you "answer the call" to attack a U.S. ally? Enough of you are convinced Obama hates Israel... WHAT IF??? Should you have a choice??

We can't have any p***ies "picking & choosing" what wars they fight, can we????? You either believe in a free person's right to choose their battles -or- you believe you are nothing but a cog in the Federal machine.

If my resistance to authoritarian control of the populace offends anyone, maybe they should MOVE TO RUSSIA!!!
    hammer.gif

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Just look at the past tyrant presidents who used the draft... Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, Johnson... unsurprisingly these are four of the most totalitarian presidents in American history.

Sounds like talk of dissent. Maybe we should have the obedient troops round you up and lock you in prison... the same way Lincoln, Wilson, & FDR handled your kind. Oh yes.. the same guys who conscripted Americans and committed all sorts of other atrocities. Tyrannical policies go well with other tyrannical policies.

MOVE TO RUSSIA!!!
    hammer.gif

Come one now, Lincoln, Wilson, FDR were the some of the greatest US Presidents ever. You must not have read the history books in government schools.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    You confuse patriotism with nationalism. Being willing to be called up in a draft regardless of the war at hand is utterly ridiculous and nationalistic. I do not trust those who are our leaders, either in Congress or the White House, to act with a conscience. They have proven themselves time and again to have no concern for the welfare of the American people beyond ensuring that they will get another term.

I refuse to serve my country in perpetrating abhorrent, evil, unconscionable acts including waging unjust wars. I will serve my nation in whatever required means that are conscienable and Constitutional besides the voluntary service I would offer when the call went up. That, as near as I am able to tell, is patriotic.

It is always your privilege (thank you veterans - draftees) to pursue your political agendas and hold accountable those who represent you in government. In the interim though "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities..."

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    ok. wow. didnt expect 13 pages:): but I guess I should have made myself clear, that like others have said its an argument against being forced to and volunteering. again why is there still a draft if there are TONS of people going into the military daily? also what about marshal law?? which yes, I believe we are heading towards like a freight train... could they call the selective service in for patrolling our own streets??? (as like the national guard did during Katrina) just a thought that was wondering about... again, not that I dont want to serve, but the military is not what it used to be, and Vietnam was the last real "war". anyway yeah I will be sending it in obviously. appreciate the insight.
    -TW

The reason the Selective Service is still in existence is that a few politicians are scared of change, and since it only cost $22 million dollars a year to run they think of it as cheap insurance. Scrapping the Selective Service is not going to win anyone any votes so nobody bothers with it.

IMHO it should be scrapped, it is a waste of time and money that is a relic of a different time and thinking.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If we all ran our lives and this country like it was fantasy baseball we would all be in a world of ****. Sometimes stuff has to be done that you don't agree with but is still the right thing for a lot of reasons, Selective Service is one of these things, IMO.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If we all ran our lives and this country like it was fantasy baseball we would all be in a world of ****. Sometimes stuff has to be done that you don't agree with but is still the right thing for a lot of reasons, Selective Service is one of these things, IMO.

Enslavement can be the right thing? :dunno:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I find it interesting what people decide all on their own is or isn't Constitutional. I can't see how anyone can be so sure about this. Congress has the power to raise an Army, it doesn't say how it must do so.

And if the Supreme Court ruled that a Ban on all firearms was "constitutional" would you agree? and if not, what makes you think you can decide "all on" your "own" that it's not?

Maybe you will say that it's "obvious"... ok how about this. What if they rule you have to be part of an active state approved Militia (such as the National Guard)? That would seem to fit the 2nd Amendment. As long as you are a member of a state approved militia your right to "keep and bear arms" would not be "infringed". Would that ruling have to be taken into account?

As far as voluntary joining... It's like any contract. There should be penalties for breaking an agreement and they should be spelled out in that contract. When you "sign up" you agree to be held accountable under the UCMJ and to perform the lawful duties assigned to you.

Top Bottom