• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Given all the troubleshooting, I'd say the cable is fine and its their box(es). I'd see about swapping them, or calling out a tech and fighting the install fee; its not your fault they gave you crap boxes.

Another way to test; move your modem and router to the TV's cable. If internet works there, you KNOW your infrastructure is good and its their boxes. (and therefore they shouldnt charge you to come swap the boxes/install them)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Given all the troubleshooting, I'd say the cable is fine and its their box(es). I'd see about swapping them, or calling out a tech and fighting the install fee; its not your fault they gave you crap boxes.

Another way to test; move your modem and router to the TV's cable. If internet works there, you KNOW your infrastructure is good and its their boxes. (and therefore they shouldnt charge you to come swap the boxes/install them)

I have a local comcast store, which is where I got the boxes and signed up for service. I'm gonna take box back in morning and swap it out and see what happens.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    If you got a picture when you were initially setting up the STB, then I doubt cables or connections are the problem. Sounds more like corrupted programming at the start that may have bricked the STB or put it in a mode where it can’t send signals to the tv. I assume you only got the one STB so you don’t have a second one you could try.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm not sure this will help, but I think activation for TV service is different than for just Wi-Fi?

Have you visited the web page for activation?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-internet-gateway-modem

I haven't been an Xfinity customer for awhile.

Yeah I've been on website and chatted on the phone with their tech service dept. They say the signal is getting to the box and reception is good. Tech kept saying the word "intriguing" while running the diag tests and having me swap cables, ports, etc. Several attempts and the word "intriguing" kept flowing from her mouth.
    Gonna swap the main box tomorrow and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'm gonna have to do the service call but I'm damn near 100% positive it isn't anything on my end

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you got a picture when you were initially setting up the STB, then I doubt cables or connections are the problem. Sounds more like corrupted programming at the start that may have bricked the STB or put it in a mode where it can’t send signals to the tv. I assume you only got the one STB so you don’t have a second one you could try.

What's an STB? I got 1 main box then 2 smaller boxes. Didnt even attempt to program or use the 2 small boxes as I couldn't get the main box to work

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    STB = Set Top Box

Got ya. Technically I guess I have 3 but 1 is the main one. Just like it is with Dish or Direct TV. I believe it houses all the programming info and is the one that has to be set up first and since I can't get that to work there's no sense in trying the others

I appreciate the responses and I will update thread tomorrow when I swap boxes. Just cant see it being anything else at this point

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It most likely *is* your comcast box.
    From your drawings, bottom pic, all I can recommend is dont do that many splits. Get a 1 to 4 splitter and use that coming into house and then run the cables to each device from their.

Everytime you do a split you get a signal loss which you may or may not notice at the tv end unless you are looking at the HD channels.

If you are going to do it via your bottom pic then get AMP splitters that connect to power so they boost the signal after the split for no signal loss.

Cable signal is more forgiving then dish signal with splitters but the cleaner hardware install is the 1 to 4 splitter. A 1 to 4 AmP splitter would be even nicer to ensure all signals are good and you dont run into cable length issues which I doubt your house is that big, aka mansion or 3+ stories.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It most likely *is* your comcast box.
    From your drawings, bottom pic, all I can recommend is dont do that many splits. Get a 1 to 4 splitter and use that coming into house and then run the cables to each device from their.

Everytime you do a split you get a signal loss which you may or may not notice at the tv end unless you are looking at the HD channels.

If you are going to do it via your bottom pic then get AMP splitters that connect to power so they boost the signal after the split for no signal loss.

Cable signal is more forgiving then dish signal with splitters but the cleaner hardware install is the 1 to 4 splitter. A 1 to 4 AmP splitter would be even nicer to ensure all signals are good and you dont run into cable length issues which I doubt your house is that big, aka mansion or 3+ stories.

I was gonna stop at best buy when I go to exchange the box and get a 3 way splitter. 2 runs are downstairs and then a third goes upstairs and splits in a closet to do the family room and bedroom so I'll have to leave that the way it is.
    Comcast opens at 11, so gonna drink my coffee and head there after.
    Will update if I get it up and running.....or not

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I was gonna stop at best buy when I go to exchange the box and get a 3 way splitter. 2 runs are downstairs and then a third goes upstairs and splits in a closet to do the family room and bedroom so I'll have to leave that the way it is.
    Comcast opens at 11, so gonna drink my coffee and head there after.
    Will update if I get it up and running.....or not

The 3-way should help, just remember there're two types of them - balanced & unbalanced. The former has 5.5 dB loss at all ports, the latter 7 dB loss on two ports and 3.5 dB loss on one port. Sometimes the unbalanced is useful in certain configurations, so check the specs on the actual unit you're buying to make sure you get what you want.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The 3-way should help, just remember there're two types of them - balanced & unbalanced. The former has 5.5 dB loss at all ports, the latter 7 dB loss on two ports and 3.5 dB loss on one port. Sometimes the unbalanced is useful in certain configurations, so check the specs on the actual unit you're buying to make sure you get what you want.

Thanks for the info. Maybe buy both if they have them. Can always take 1 back

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Either will work. The amazon one has a few more features than the BB. The 2 idiot's who left negative reviews on amazon dont know how to use it. They saw RED led and though the device was not working/failed. The RED led means the device *IS* WORKING! people are so sssstttuuuppppiiiddd and dont read!

the whole idea is to boost the signal BEFORE doing a split. Both of those device will do that. The amazon one has a phone port that also sends power to it. So if you have phone service via comcast your phone will still work.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Either will work. The amazon one has a few more features than the BB. The 2 idiot's who left negative reviews on amazon dont know how to use it. They saw RED led and though the device was not working/failed. The RED led means the device *IS* WORKING! people are so sssstttuuuppppiiiddd and dont read!

the whole idea is to boost the signal BEFORE doing a split. Both of those device will do that. The amazon one has a phone port that also sends power to it. So if you have phone service via comcast your phone will still work.

I got ya. No home phone so that's not a big deal. Sitting in lot waiting on Comcast to open now. Then head to BB and pick that splitter up.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I bet it is either the box or Comcast screwed up the numbers when entering info. I had both of those issues when I had my Comcast installed several months back. I paid for install and tech hooked everything up, was getting same problem you are having. After some checking he found out the STB they sent him with was different than the one they entered numbers for. He got that resolved then went to get the other tv's working which were wireless boxes, one of them wouldn't work, come to find out the brand new wireless box was bad out of the box.

Just FYI. Mine is hooked up like your top drawing, but I have wireless boxes in bedrooms. Main cable into splitter...one to modem and one to STB.

Good luck. I love my Comcast internet but their customer service flat out sucks! I really can't wait for Endeavor to get to my house.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    New box installed. Programming went smoothly.

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Every channel is nothing but a pixelated screen.
    Called and they're doing a system reboot now.

If this isn't resolved I'm taking all this crap back and cancelling their service and staying with Dish.
    Main reason I wanted to switch besides saving money is because dish dropped my NBCSC and I haven't been able to watch a single Blackhawks game this season.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    They did system reboot which made it worse. Talked with someone on a call back that couldn't stop stuttering and was zero help. All they wanna do is charge me $70 to send a tech out even if it turns out to be a problem on their end, which it has to be. And ever since they did a system reboot it keeps rebooting over and over and over again by itself.

I think I'm done. Packing this stuff up and heading to comcast to tell to shove it where the sun doesn't shine

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom