• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    The only thing that hasn't worked right since then is my printer. Both networks recognize it (in that it shows up as an option) but neither will connect to it. If I want to print something, I have to take my laptop out to the family room (where the range extender is), then connect to the printer directly (it acts as its own network connection, but of course with no internet access). Print my document or pic, then disconnect and reconnect to my internet connection. Pain in the butt and I'm not sure how to fix it.

On some printers, one must first connect to it with a wired LAN connection, after that the wireless will work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    On some printers, one must first connect to it with a wired LAN connection, after that the wireless will work.

You know that occurred to me. I seemed to remember I had to do that originally. I need to dig around in my desk drawers and see if I can find the cable and original instructions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And in case anyone else has signal issues, for best practice, Comcast recommends a 2 way split at the head end, one for CATV, one for Internet. THEN split the CATV leg 4x, 6x, whatever. That way you only split the CATV signal strength without affecting the internet power.

Each split distributes the feed evenly. So if you split it first, its a 50% signal decrease for internet. If you split it once for everything and you do a 6 way split for internet and 5 TVs, Internet now only has about 17% of the original signal.

TV can handle the drop better than high speed modems.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ok. 3rd box so far is good to go. For right now I have just hooked up the main box and internet thru their supplied 2 way splitter. All channels coming in clearly
    After dinner I'll be running the 3 way splitter instead to complete the 2 upstairs boxes. Hopefully all goes well at that point.

Looks like I've gotten 2 bad main boxes in a row. Let's hope none of the secondary boxes are bad. I hadn't gotten to that point yet. Wanted to get 1 box up and running without issue first after yesterday's debacle with a bad box

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks to all who tried to help. Turns out wasn't anything I did, just 2 bad boxes.
    All 3 tvs up an running now with zero issues.....for the moment

For some reason the 3 way splitter wouldn't work so I ended up using three, 2 way splitters. No idea why the 3 way wouldn't work but it'll be returned and I'll get my $37 back. Picture quality is good. Internet speed is fine. Working as it should.

This is what ended up working for me as far as running the splitters

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What a journey.

Yeah. Not how I was expecting to spend a beautiful weekend. Oh well. What ya gonna do
    Now time to watch my Blackhawks play live for the first time this season. Even though it's a bad year I've missed watching my hockey

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah. Not how I was expecting to spend a beautiful weekend. Oh well. What ya gonna do
    Now time to watch my Blackhawks play live for the first time this season. Even though it's a bad year I've missed watching my hockey

Congrats...speaking of hockey, man Toronto/Boston had an old time fight. I liked that.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Congrats...speaking of hockey, man Toronto/Boston had an old time fight. I liked that.

Dont see to many of those anymore. Was watching a game a month or so ago. Dont remember which teams. Both were Canadian teams though. All 6 on each side paired up and three down. Goalies included

Just now in Hawks game had a decent brawl

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If you want NWI INGO can go to your place and ensure you have 3 more "bad" boxes. We will leave raccoons and take your beer as well. :)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you want NWI INGO can go to your place and ensure you have 3 more "bad" boxes. We will leave raccoons and take your beer as well. :)

Raccoons...meh. Mess with my beer and that's a whole different story

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

And my wife never understands why I am always a bit hesitant on technology changes where I am dependent on a single 3rd party. I work in IT, though admittedly not the most technical of my colleagues and yet I still am hesitant on some of these things because it often becomes painful, especially when my wife is the main consumer of whatever service it is.

Though, I will say setting up services at the new to me house back in November, went pretty well on several of these things and actually got to take advantage of several newer offerings/hardware, etc of the services than I had in the previous house.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom