• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Don’t know if this was mentioned but never go pick up the equipment. It’s usually refurbished stuff. Have them send u new equipment. You might have bad equipment. I had to learn the hard way.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Pixelated is likely not enough signal. Are you connected with no splitters in the chain which would give you a best case test?

Yeah. I did a straight run from service coming into house directly to receiver. Every channel is crap. Only thing I can see is when I pull up the guide.

Frustrated now and have everything packed up and I'm returning it all and cancelling. Stick with Dish I guess and just deal with not being able to watch hockey

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Yeah. I did a straight run from service coming into house directly to receiver. Every channel is crap. Only thing I can see is when I pull up the guide.

Frustrated now and have everything packed up and I'm returning it all and cancelling. Stick with Dish I guess and just deal with not being able to watch hockey

Have you considered just using a Roku or similar device? Lots of options with those.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Have you considered just using a Roku or similar device? Lots of options with those.

Still can't get my hockey with those either. I've looked into it. NBC blacks out the games unless you have their channel.
    Also in order to get the channels that everyone in the house likes I'd need 3 different devices plus the cost of better internet to be able to stream the shows. It all adds up to about the same cost in the end.
    I just thought switching to comcast for both tv and internet would be the easiest. Not only save a couple bucks but get my hockey back and consolidate bills....boy was I wrong. Wasted my whole weekend now messing with this crap!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I installed for a competitor for a few years.(At&T). On a majority of installations, we would re-use the home's coax and a bit of reconfiguration of splitters in certain cases.

Anyway, getting to the point. I seem to remember some Comcast installations having some sort of diplexer type splitter that split the internet signal from the TV signal but I don't know if that was for the benefit of the internet, TV, or both.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    You can have multiple Roku devices and they all can access the subscriptions you are signed up for. Check out Hulu live they have the channel you are talking about but it may be that NBC still blacks it out which sucks.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Just fyi - I had a similar problem for at least a year with my comcast internet. Intermittent dropouts anywhere from several a day to none for a couple weeks at a time. Called for a tech appt 3 or 4 times when it was out, but cancelled all of those since it always started working before they could arrive. Finally got fed up enough and let the tech show up. Turns out while I had good signal at the house cable entrance, by the time it got thru the house cables to the gateway, it was 10 dB lower and the gateway couldn’t remain connected as signal levels fluctuated. Tech added a 10 dB amp at the entrance and that fixed it. Also boosted the tv signal, but I’d never had tv problems. BTW, the tech didn’t charge me for either the visit or the amp he installed. YMMV, of course.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    They did system reboot which made it worse. Talked with someone on a call back that couldn't stop stuttering and was zero help. All they wanna do is charge me $70 to send a tech out even if it turns out to be a problem on their end, which it has to be. And ever since they did a system reboot it keeps rebooting over and over and over again by itself.

I think I'm done. Packing this stuff up and heading to comcast to tell to shove it where the sun doesn't shine

:rofl:
    Welcome to comsucks!!!
    U do know they are the #1 hated compnay in surveys right!
    And since you are u, well...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    They did system reboot which made it worse. Talked with someone on a call back that couldn't stop stuttering and was zero help. All they wanna do is charge me $70 to send a tech out even if it turns out to be a problem on their end, which it has to be. And ever since they did a system reboot it keeps rebooting over and over and over again by itself.

I think I'm done. Packing this stuff up and heading to comcast to tell to shove it where the sun doesn't shine

Imagine the stress you could have saved yourself by forking over the $70 at the beginning and just having them figure it out. Sometimes its worth it to pay someone else to do it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Imagine the stress you could have saved yourself by forking over the $70 at the beginning and just having them figure it out. Sometimes its worth it to pay someone else to do it.

Sssshhh again with your logic!!
    THIS IS NWI INGO!
    we vote often, vote early, and want everything for FREE!

but all this trouble to watch hockey!!
    WHAT IS HE! CANADIAN!!! ;)

Meh!

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Wanting to watch Hockey, in Indiana is the problem.
    It is just not natural.

OP,
    Did you install the amp / splitter we discussed earlier?
    If so, you either have a cable issue or another bad STB.

If it were me, I would go with an antenna and streaming.
    It is the way the industry is going.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Wanting to watch Hockey, in Indiana is the problem.
    It is just not natural.

OP,
    Did you install the amp / splitter we discussed earlier?
    If so, you either have a cable issue or another bad STB.

If it were me, I would go with an antenna and streaming.
    It is the way the industry is going.

Yes installed the amplifier that I posted from BB. Also a straight run directly to box. Nothing changed and once they did a system reset in their end it was worse. Then kept doing a reset on it's own over and over.

EDIT TO ADD Only connected one tv just to make sure it was good to go before adding the other 2 lines. Didnt even connect up the internet

As far as streaming goes it's just not cost effective at least in my area. Already touched on that earlier. Need multiple devices to get the shows we watch and in the end still have no hockey. Also would have to upgrade internet which will double that bill. When all said and done would be spending the same amount of money if not more and STILL NO BLACKHAWKS!

I LOVE HOCKEY!!!!

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Get rid of them as well. :)

Lol. Thanks. I needed a laugh.
    Having a beer at Chilis now. Girl at comcast store has been great. She wanted me to try all new boxes and cables. She gave me, in writing, that if problem continues she will send a tech at no cost. I can live with that but I'd rather of been out shooting today

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have comcast and for the most part I've been happy with it. A few months ago though, I lost phone, cable and internet all of a sudden. Called tech support and was told that my gateway had never been activated. I told him that was funny since it had been activated for several years. He had no explanation for that, but he did manage to "reactivate" it and everything worked, but I had to re-do my two networks. I have a utility wall with electrical and plumbing on it that really plays havoc with wireless signals, so I got a range extender that I put on the other side of that wall and that solved the problem, but it acts as its own network. Wasn't a huge deal to set it back up though.

The only thing that hasn't worked right since then is my printer. Both networks recognize it (in that it shows up as an option) but neither will connect to it. If I want to print something, I have to take my laptop out to the family room (where the range extender is), then connect to the printer directly (it acts as its own network connection, but of course with no internet access). Print my document or pic, then disconnect and reconnect to my internet connection. Pain in the butt and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Top Bottom