• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why don't you just come on down here and try out one of my 9mm 1911s? They really are a lot of fun and make sense for those guys not reloading. Judging by the number of "minor" caliber guns showing up in USPSA single stack division I would say the 9mm is here to stay. As we age our hands get weaker so maybe the 9mm 1911 is the wise mans gun.

I have heard that a lot. I always thought that IF I ever get a 1911, it would HAVE to be a 45. Just because. But I keep hearing more and more how much better the 9mm is. I have also read where guys have shot 45's for years, and now have problems with their hands. And have since moved on to 9mm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have heard that a lot. I always thought that IF I ever get a 1911, it would HAVE to be a 45. Just because. But I keep hearing more and more how much better the 9mm is. I have also read where guys have shot 45's for years, and now have problems with their hands. And have since moved on to 9mm.

Yes. I have carpal tunnel. I still carry a 45 but shoot mostly 9mm now. That and my 45 reloads are not as spunky as factory hardball.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Like Sam said in "Ronin", 1911, served my country well.
    Sean: Old gun heh. Seems you lost a few wars, huh?
    Sam: Well, at least we didn't cry about it.

Get one. You deserve it.
    (I own 2, and Glocks too)

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    World War 1, World War 2, Korean War, Vietnam War and various other smaller conflicts.....the 1911 served with distinction and putting big holes in the opposition. Own a piece of history!!!!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What is everyone :whistle::whistle:about? I like Glocks and M&Ps and Walthers and Smith Revolvers and....... In fact I am even considering building up a nice Glock 17 or 34 in case my kid wants that as a first gun. I will give him his choice of a Glock, PPQ or M&P. After all all kids should start with a plastic gun. :cool:

My son is 20 and in college. I told him when he started college that his graduation present would be whatever gun he prefers (he lives with his mother in Minnesota, so he hasn't done more than shoot with me several times when he comes to visit me). Last time he came home was the first time I had 1911's. After shooting a few 9mm handguns, I handed him a Ruger SR1911 and warned him it was a little more stout than the 9mm he'd just finished shooting. He shot the first magazine and, after setting the gun down, turned to me with a huge grin on his face and informed me he "didn't want to shoot the wimpy 9mm's again, that he just wanted to shoot the .45's". What can I say? My heart swelled as any proud father's would :D

That was when he informed me he wanted a new 1911 for his first gun / graduation present...:):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    m1911-07blowuptank.jpg

And then there is this....

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    FWIW; Was at my private range last summer shooting, when a fellow member asked if I'd be willing to let him shoot my AR-15 if he let me shoot his Springfield 1911 I don't recall the model but it was stainless steel with a 6" barrel with a 8 +1 capacity. Keep in mind I had not shot any hand guns in over six months and had not shot a 1911 in years. Gun was loaded with his reloads. I shot the best damn group with a handgun in my life before or since. The only reason I don't own a 1911 is the one I would buy is kinda pricy and I don't have a actual use for it so spending near a 1k on a range fungun is kinda hard to justify when my boys all need shotguns, rifles and other hunting shooting equipment. Otherwise I would own a 1911.

I some times think those that hate 1911 are of cut from the same cloth as are Glock haters.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    Are you finding yourself feeling that 2:30 feeling while at the range?
    Do you have a burning desire to sling lead down range?
    Have you needed a "pick me up" in the gun department?
    Can you feel the hair falling out of your mullet?
    Has your American Flag started to fade?
    Do you own a Prius?

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

Go out, and buy a decent 1911. You are literally shaking the hand of the one and only John Moses Browning. Soon, you'll be drinking real beer, instead of that "lite" crap. Next, that beautiful mullet will be full and flowing, calling out to the honey's and they will find themselves unable to resist. You will magically grow chest hair in the form of a bald eagle, this goes for you ladies out there too! Hell, you may even grow a real beard. Owning a 1911 is a right of passage, for any red blooded American. You cant get any more American. You'll suddenly be connected to the brothers who carried this pistol, to preserve your freedom to own it. Packs of wolves will bow to you as the Alpha, and ordering a steak rare will be the norm. YES, I exclaim, YES, this pistol has the ability to turn any plastic fingered yuppie into a rootin' tootin' shootin' machine. Clad with manliness oozing out of your pores. Not sold just yet? Shoot a friends, if your balls don't tingle after running through a few mags, well my friend, there may be no saving you, but I trust the 1911 can do it. If it happens to fall apart, build that ***** back up with quality parts and you're off punchin' paper like nobody's business. You'll probably get a promotion at work too.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    In 1953 my dad handed a Reminton-Rand .45 to me to run my trap line. He didn't have a .22 pistol. For 62 years I have used and carried a 1911 platform. When I started you used ball ammo, any thing else it might or might not work. Today even most low end guns will shoot anything. In 1953 the trigger pull on that Remington was about 1 pound, today most are 3 1/2 or higher with most running towards 5-6 pounds or more. The high end 1911's should have a lot of hand fitting causing the price markup. The lower priced the 1911 the less smooth they are on the hole. If you get a 1911 look at used as you can buy a higher end gun. Change the springs and enjoy the shooting. If you have a friend that knows 1911's ask him or her to look at the gun to see what they think.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    and it was the legendary JEEP, that Tom Hanks leaned on, to provide the added stability it took for that M1911A1 to take out that Nazi tank.....

JEEP, "there's only one...." 75 years and still going strong!!!!!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    +1 more for the Paras. Their double stack design invalidates the capacity argument. My daily carry gun is a P-10 and my sidearm is a P-14. It's really nice having 11 shots of .45ACP in a compact platform that's just as accurate as a full size. And having 15 shots in a full size is pretty close to what you'll find in many 9mms.

To sell you on the 1911 you really only need sold on the .45. It's big, heavy, slow and quiet(er). When that's coupled with a big gun like the 1911, it's really easy to shoot. Figure shooting the 1911 is like driving a Caddy vs. a Cobalt. You're not steering around corners... you're floating.

That said... I can't sell you on a 1911. It's either for you or it's not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    FWIW; Was at my private range last summer shooting, when a fellow member asked if I'd be willing to let him shoot my AR-15 if he let me shoot his Springfield 1911 I don't recall the model but it was stainless steel with a 6" barrel with a 8 +1 capacity. Keep in mind I had not shot any hand guns in over six months and had not shot a 1911 in years. Gun was loaded with his reloads. I shot the best damn group with a handgun in my life before or since. The only reason I don't own a 1911 is the one I would buy is kinda pricy and I don't have a actual use for it so spending near a 1k on a range fungun is kinda hard to justify when my boys all need shotguns, rifles and other hunting shooting equipment. Otherwise I would own a 1911.

I some times think those that hate 1911 are of cut from the same cloth as are Glock haters.

Many who hate are just not of a mind to spend that kind of money. They mask their cheapness with a hatred.
    Not all of them of course but I know a few that are this way. Thing is, they could easily afford one.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    :+1: Man, I almost forgot about that..... 1911's can knock out a Nazi tank.... as Tom Hanks 'proved' in "Saving Private Ryan"

And remember that was not just ANY croute tank but a TIGER tank, a 55 ton behemoth with a 88mm HV AP gun, by comparison our MBT the Sherman M4 weighed a miniscule 43 tons and was equipped with a LV 75mm gun. The Tiger tank was hands down the most feared tank of WW-II.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If you really want a 1911 there is oldy but a goody in the handguns for sale section for the low low price of $1500.

Top Bottom