Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Jeeps suck.

KnGV3t5.jpg
    1. Sweeeeeet!!!

Do you want to go fast or get muddy?
    2. Neither; but I do like 0-60 power (takes a turbo for that, though, or big displacement.

My dad has a corvette convertible for sale... :D
    3. I have to drive whatever through the winter and Vettes don't do winter.

Keep the s2000 buy the/a jeep.
    4. Actually thought of that!

Never could get onto convertables myself.
    5. Neither does my wife, so we can still be friends. :laugh:

That is a pretty wide range of choices!
    6. Yes, and I would be happy with any of them, in fact the last time I was going to buy another Jeep, I ended up with the S2000 b/c I was disappointed with it.
    7. I remember when I had my 4
    cylinder 1994 Jeep, their 6 cylinder was a sports car for me, but years later
    it washo hum when I tried one out.

If you are looking at Jeep, I'm happy to give you my :twocents:. The more modern Jeep Wrangler JK will be COMPLETELY different than the old YJ you had. Tons more power, all the creature comforts, and night and day difference in ride and handling. Look for a 2012 or newer to get the better 3.6L engine. There are plenty out there with reasonable mileage. Unless you plan to actually off-road it, no need for the Rubicon package. With the new JL hitting showrooms pretty soon, there is likely to be a glut of early JK's coming in as trades (or for sale by owner). I wouldn't bother with the '97-'06 Jeep TJ at this point, unless you are looking for a project.
    8. I'm really listening. Only 1 of the Jeeps was a 2012 that I'm interested in, the rest are 2003, 2005, 2007.
    9. No off-roading, just cruising around.

I’ll sell you my 2005 TJ :)

I too have thoughts on selling my Pontiac Solstice GXP and get a Jeep. I finally decided if I ever did sell the car I would go with a small (S10, Ranger) 4x4 pickup. I think it would ride better, be more useful, and not have as many repairs.

Jeep CJ’s and YJ’s ride rough. TJ’s only ride rough if you install cheap low quality parts. MY TJ rides awesome. The newer jeeps ride like a dream.
    As for reliability, my TJ has been very reliable. As long as you stick with the recommended years, you’ll be fine. Just like trucks, some years were very unreliable.

Trade a Honda for a Chrysler product?
    10. I know: guys in my car club will never speak to me again!!!

Dude. :):

If I had arthritis and had zero plans to ever off-road, a loud, rough riding crapwagon like the Jeep Wrangler would be the last vehicle I would choose for a daily driver.
    You had better keep that S2000. Limited production and highly sought after, I think it's going to be a future classic.
    There are only 9 S2000's for sale within 100 miles of Indianapolis on Cars.com, and the least expensive one is $16,995.
    Trading an S2000 for a Wrangler would be like trading a Colt Python for a Ruger GP100.
    11. Great analogy!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am deathly afraid that when summer comes I'd deeply regret it b/c I love the S2000 top down.
    I just know the clock is ticking and so many cars and so little time.
    That's why I like the gun-hobby: much better than the expensive of a car-hobby: been there done that.
    Don't know what might develop. If I find a Jeep that I truly loved: I'd buy it tomorrow.
    I'd rather wait until summer to make sure I'm really done with it, but once I get looking for something, I usually find it. :dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've been daily driving a jeep everyday since 2005. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one.

Love / hate relationship with Jeeps.

I used to work on them for a living a couple decades back. Thankfully they've changed since then.
    Jeeps fit me, love to drive and PLAY with them.
    Very versatile.
    Can be expensive to own.
    Bring out the wild side of me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If the top comes off, probably.

I loved my Wrangler, but truth be told, S2000’s are pretty badass as well. My tubby ass just doesn’t fit in them.

Just didn't know if it was convertible "enough". Broncos were fairly tough and the 4x4 abilities were always pretty good, might be a better option than a Jeep.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You're gonna regret this......
    1. I'm listening. It is a fear, and I told my wife I probably should just wait until summer to be sure I'm really over the "small convertible" phase of my life.
    2. I have Motorcycles all of my life, but when I walked away, I was done: prefer the small convertibles.

:twocents:

I've been daily driving a jeep everyday since 2005. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one.
    3. Spoken like a true Jeep owner.

Love / hate relationship with Jeeps.
    4. See #3, ha!

I used to work on them for a living a couple decades back. Thankfully they've changed since then.
    Jeeps fit me, love to drive and PLAY with them.
    Very versatile.
    Can be expensive to own.
    Bring out the wild side of me.
    5. I had one for 4 yrs. (1994 model), and I bought it for $7500 and sold it for $6000, but a had to replace items like a heater core (only 65k on it) which really surprised me.
    6. As an owner of antiques, I never had to replace a heater core! That is just one example.

Jeep convertible = top goes "WUPPA-WUPPA-WUPPA" until your brains run out your ears.
    7. I so remember that!!!

Keep the car.
    ple.
    8. I'll find out more when I go drive one and find out if it is just my old memories and it just doesn't "fit" anymore.

9. I have narrowed it down to only 2 at this point: 2006 Golden Eagle or a 2004 (trying to stay in the 2003-2006 realm.
    10. I have thrown out a 2012 with 8k miles and 2003 with 8500 miles. I think Jeeps generally aren't worth what they cost and if one had low low miles: prices get crazy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I drove the white 2005 this pm and spent good time with the 70 yr. old man who owned it.
    00V0V_i09lyxHloFA_1200x900.jpg
    wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

2. It was a Jeep, and I loved the difference, but the S2000 is a sports car, and in truth, I'd love to have the Jeep for a winter car and save the S for just summer, like normal people.
    3. No acceleration, noisy, and it's white: hate white cars as they age and to keep clean.
    4. The dirty little secret is my arthritis and getting up into one; I can barely get one leg in so I can pull myself in.
    5. With the S, I barely can get down to get into it, the opposite problem.
    6. I really need the smaller stock wheels and tires with a "step" for the Jeep for easier access (lower) but everyone puts a 2-3 inch lift in and oversized tires to be "cool."
    7. The ultimate purpose this evening was to test the waters: on a scale of 1-5 I rate is as a 2 b/c of height (even with no lift and moderate bigger tires and no step and manual.
    8. The S is a 3.5 b/c of low to the ground, manual, and having to have summer and winter tires stored, but easy of top-down, and it is one of the coolest cars ever made, but I would like something different before I age out.
    9. Actually, after I get both hips replaced, the arthritis issue will be abated, but that could be years in coming since it isn't ever convenient to take out time for such things, and I have lymphatic issues which make the process problematic so I have to put it off until the pain is consuming. I'm sipping Sams Club Eggnog this evening: think that will help?
    10. Sat. I go look at 3 Jeeps, but only 1 interested in, but the profile isn't as good as the older man's white car that needed nothing (if it would have been an automatic, I might have bought it on the spot, and not white: definitely.
    11. Sat. it is 2 guys that rebuild Jeeps, about 15/yr., and they have been doing it for a long time. They do all the work except major items like motors and trannies and they have that done at local shops. I have bought rebuilds for 20 yrs. in another life, but the guy was a friend and he went through everything and it was like new when done. I'd rather buy off an individual with lower mileage that treated it like a lady.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just for comparison's sake, you should look at a 2007 or newer. Ideally, a 2012 or newer. Addresses several of your concerns with the TJ. It will be much quieter, have more power, handle better, and have a lower step-in height (they removed the "lip" at the door). Yeah, they will cost more. But, a bone-stock version will be at the lower end of the spectrum, and more to your liking.

But, thanks for the "review". Described a TJ perfectly!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just for comparison's sake, you should look at a 2007 or newer. Ideally, a 2012 or newer. Addresses several of your concerns with the TJ. It will be much quieter, have more power, handle better, and have a lower step-in height (they removed the "lip" at the door). Yeah, they will cost more. But, a bone-stock version will be at the lower end of the spectrum, and more to your liking.

But, thanks for the "review". Described a TJ perfectly!

1. I've heard that on my car site, as well: thanks!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going to look at a 2003 with only 8200 miles after lunch today, but he expects $$ for the privilege.
    no lift, not bigger tires. a step, but a manual, but at least it isn't WHITE. :laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom