• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going to look at a 2003 with only 8200 miles after lunch today, but he expects $$ for the privilege.
    no lift, not bigger tires. a step, but a manual, but at least it isn't WHITE. :laugh:

2003 Wrangler Sahara only 8400 miles: loved it.
    No lift, tires not big, step for easy entry.
    Only a 5 speed, though: I thought 2003-2006 were all 6 spd (with the overdrive).
    Loved the Sahara package: fenders matched car, not black, nicer interior.
    I would buy it in a second but he is asking $18.900, and Kelly (which is usually high says: $14.500 avg. for private seller).
    I am willing to pay for the moderate tire package with no lift and step and the Sahara package, but how much am I willing to pay for the great mileage?
    It isn't an automatic, but I do love the Bronze color, really hides dirt.

2aca9c764c0a4d3f9494b37aea0dbd1c.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Well I finally drove this one today: they had 3 for sale (they rebuild them, and I bought rebuilds for 20 yrs.). They have their paint work, motor and tyranny work done at local shops.
    2. 2006, automatic, new this and that for $11.5k
    3. No reason not to buy it, except I didn't like the auto at all, I might just wait until my arthritis forces the issue.
    4. I loved the 2003 I drove yesterday with 8k miles, but not willing to pay $18.5k for the privilege, but I did learn I would have to have a step, tires not too big, and love the Sahara package.
    5. Bottom line, I don't think I can give up my S2000, unless something super came by, like the 2003 w/8k miles for $14k, or the Golden Eagle for $8500.
    6. What can I say, if I don't have to be forced to buy another car (arthritis), it can wait and I'll "suffer" longer with the best car I've ever had: 2004 Honda S2000, with hardtop and winter wheels.
    7. Winter is uninspiring with the S b/c I'm a top-down person, so if I could have both: that would be the best scenario.
    8. When summer gets here, I'm sure I'll feel bad about even considering selling it.
    9. It is actually easier to get into the S than a Jeep with a lift, and larger tires.

00L0L_gjCcjMozKo0_1200x900.jpg

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Had a 2001 Mustang convertible for 7 years, then a 2005 Mustang convertible for 7 years, then a 2003 Z4 for 3 years, just bought a 2016 Mustang Convertible this fall with 7k miles. Everytime I buy a convertible I think about getting a jeep, but what I really want is a convertible and the option of closing it up in 15 seconds... the jeep loses the decision every time. I still think I want one, but if its either or it's not happening
    20171025_170728.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had a 2001 Mustang convertible for 7 years, then a 2005 Mustang convertible for 7 years, then a 2003 Z4 for 3 years, just bought a 2016 Mustang Convertible this fall with 7k miles. Everytime I buy a convertible I think about getting a jeep, but what I really want is a convertible and the option of closing it up in 15 seconds... the jeep loses the decision every time. I still think I want one, but if its either or it's not happening
    View attachment 61869

1. Definitely sounds like you understand!
    2. I will try to learn from you! :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent the evening researching newer Jeeps: the 3.8 and even the 3.6 engines, and even made 2 appts. for the week and intended to make a couple more before I go out of town.
    But, I canceled the 2 appts., a 2011 and a 2013, b/c I just decided that if I'm going to spend "the big bucks" (+/- $20k) I could do that anytime.
    I am open to getting a $10kish one with a profile of sweet maintenance like the one 2005 from the 70 yr. old with the 100k maintenance that "everything" was done to it.
    It is the worst color (white) and I would have to put a step on it, but still interesting.
    My thoughts keep going back to the 2003 with only 8k miles on it that I loved: bronze Sahara (which my son called "polished crap," but i loved it).
    My wife said it looked too military like a desert Jeep, ha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My newest inquiry:
    2006, $14.5, 63k miles, owned 8 yrs. by the current owner and a "city dweller"

The Jeep owned by the 70 yr. old man sold Sat.: so that one is off the table.

00b0b_kp5a6OPphKX_600x450.jpg

01515_5AWGQEBuNVE_600x450.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Spent the evening researching newer Jeeps: the 3.8 and even the 3.6 engines, and even made 2 appts. for the week and intended to make a couple more before I go out of town.
    But, I canceled the 2 appts., a 2011 and a 2013, b/c I just decided that if I'm going to spend "the big bucks" (+/- $20k) I could do that anytime.
    I am open to getting a $10kish one with a profile of sweet maintenance like the one 2005 from the 70 yr. old with the 100k maintenance that "everything" was done to it.
    It is the worst color (white) and I would have to put a step on it, but still interesting.
    My thoughts keep going back to the 2003 with only 8k miles on it that I loved: bronze Sahara (which my son called "polished crap," but i loved it).
    My wife said it looked too military like a desert Jeep, ha!

I personally think a white vehicle, especially an SUV is a bit easier to keep clean. Generally less swirls and show less scratches (depending on the manufacturer... on some Yota's the white is a single stage paint rather than a clear coat).

I had a Jeep, but its been years (bought it new, was the first year of the TJ's, but didn't keep it real long as life changed soon after I bought it), so not sure about the newer ones, but the older ones can be noisy and can get a bit loose. Since you are looking for something that you can put the top down in, I won't try and sway you to another SUV, but just make sure you have whatever you look at really checked out. Jeeps tend to hold their value quite a bit. The fun in a Jeep though is in the customization, etc and it seems you may not be too into that. If you decide you don't need the drop top, but want a rugged, go anywhere SUV, check out a Toyota FJ. I have a 2007. They hold their value extremely well. Not as cheap and easy to lift as a Jeep, but ride well and are tough as nails.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I personally think a white vehicle, especially an SUV is a bit easier to keep clean. Generally less swirls and show less scratches (depending on the manufacturer... on some Yota's the white is a single stage paint rather than a clear coat).

I had a Jeep, but its been years (bought it new, was the first year of the TJ's, but didn't keep it real long as life changed soon after I bought it), so not sure about the newer ones, but the older ones can be noisy and can get a bit loose. Since you are looking for something that you can put the top down in, I won't try and sway you to another SUV, but just make sure you have whatever you look at really checked out. Jeeps tend to hold their value quite a bit. The fun in a Jeep though is in the customization, etc and it seems you may not be too into that. If you decide you don't need the drop top, but want a rugged, go anywhere SUV, check out a Toyota FJ. I have a 2007. They hold their value extremely well. Not as cheap and easy to lift as a Jeep, but ride well and are tough as nails.

1. An interesting reflective insight.
    2. I hear you about going slow; I very well could regret it if I sell the S2000; I would love to keep both.
    3. Rugged go anywhere not important since I'm not going anywhere :laugh: except to work: convertible and different from the small convertibles I've been driving so as to have a different flavor is on my mind.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As stated earlier, this was my last inquiry.
    I have had a difficult time getting ahold of him, and he hasn't been very pursuant of my calls, emails and texts.
    I finally got the feedback that he wasn't going to be selling during the holidays.
    My opinion: take the ad out! I have never seen anything like it.
    I have emailed him inquiring about maintenance records and let him know I'm finicky about the background of any vehicle I would buy.
    I think it is probably a dead-end, but it will be interesting to see if he gets back with me after the holidays.
    I told him I wanted to drive it and really, to first find out whether the maintenance records are to my specs, to either eliminate it or buy it, since I've seen enough to know what the profile is that I want.

00b0b_kp5a6OPphKX_600x450.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As stated earlier, this was my last inquiry.
    I have had a difficult time getting ahold of him, and he hasn't been very pursuant of my calls, emails and texts.
    I finally got the feedback that he wasn't going to be selling during the holidays.
    My opinion: take the ad out! I have never seen anything like it.
    I have emailed him inquiring about maintenance records and let him know I'm finicky about the background of any vehicle I would buy.
    I think it is probably a dead-end, but it will be interesting to see if he gets back with me after the holidays.
    I told him I wanted to drive it and really, to first find out whether the maintenance records are to my specs, to either eliminate it or buy it, since I've seen enough to know what the profile is that I want.

Yeah, unless he replied that he was traveling, etc and would be able to schedule a specific time for you to see it after the holiday, I think I'd just move on. If he can't be bothered to sell it, I'm not interested. There are more out there.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, unless he replied that he was traveling, etc and would be able to schedule a specific time for you to see it after the holiday, I think I'd just move on. If he can't be bothered to sell it, I'm not interested. There are more out there.

1. Yes, well said.
    2. I emailed him back today, replying to his and told him to contact me after the holidays and if I hadn't bought anything, I'd be glad to see it.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I have a 2012 hardtop 2 door and really enjoy it. Had to fo with the 3.6 after reading reviews of the 3.8 being somewhat underpowered. Jeeps come with a crazy premium .. never seen anything like it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a 2012 hardtop 2 door and really enjoy it. Had to fo with the 3.6 after reading reviews of the 3.8 being somewhat underpowered. Jeeps come with a crazy premium .. never seen anything like it.

1. Yes, I have read a person was better off with the old 4.0 rather than the 3.8
    2. Yes, that is why I decided I wasn't going to spend $26.5 getting a 2012 with 8k miles on it and 2 sets of wheels with the T-tops: for that money, there are too many other things available.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You'll be interested to know that I had a talk with the wife while driving down to TN, and she now is open to getting another car to replace the Corolla.
    I told her we could pick one up while in Nashville, ha!
    I also told her I keep the old Corolla for a "winter beater."
    She said, "Why? You can use the Rav4 (if that's the one) on those really bad days when I'm not going anywhere."
    So, now my car search will stop and I will fixate on what she wants which is a small SUV type, of which there are a dozen out there.
    I'll take her to CarMax so she can drive everything and decide which one.
    I do not want a CVT transmission (based on my research last year researching a car for my future and now daughter-in-law), however, so that could limit it.
    We are Toyota people, so they get the first shot.

If anyone has suggestions on any of the other smallish SUVs, let me know so the research can begin.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    1. Yes, I have read a person was better off with the old 4.0 rather than the 3.8
    2. Yes, that is why I decided I wasn't going to spend $26.5 getting a 2012 with 8k miles on it and 2 sets of wheels with the T-tops: for that money, there are too many other things available.

They are so over priced i almost considered new.. at 26.5 your not far from a new one.. you can prob get a new 17 for 28k..

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If anyone has suggestions on any of the other smallish SUVs, let me know so the research can begin.

I've been looking to get a compact SUV myself, and have driven a few new models. I was dead set on a Toyota Rav4 from all of the reviews and considering that it's always a #1 or #2 seller. A test drive buried that desire in a hurry. I honestly don't know why they are so popular, other than they are simply Toyotas. Slower than snail snot and an interior strait from the late 1990s. We took it on the interstate, and that thing was LOUD. (Road noise) NO thanks.

Also drove a Honda CR-V, and it was nice and also fairly peppy, but I'm not a fan of CVTs. It's sort of the "soccer mom" compact SUV, IMO. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.

Drove an Acura RDX, since it is basically a CR-V with a V6 and a real transmission. Not that impressed, for it being a supposed luxury brand. It was pretty quick, which is important to me, but I was very aware that I was simply in a glorified Honda product. Lots of familiar bits from the old Honda parts bin. The rear seat doesn't recline, and the $40,000+ model we drove didn't have Bluetooth streaming audio. Really, Acura? No wonder they compete with Buick and not Lexus, BMW and Audi.

We took a road trip out to New Mexico a few months ago and I rented a Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 turbo and AWD. Now THAT is probably what I will be getting when I am ready to buy early next year. That thing is quick, and the interior was very nice and comfortable. The Sync 3 infotainment system is very good, better than anything that comes in a Honda or Toyota.

Can't speak about any Chrysler or GM products, as I won't even waste my time with those, given my experience.

:twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They are so over priced i almost considered new.. at 26.5 your not far from a new one.. you can prob get a new 17 for 28k..

1. Not with 2 sets of rims/tires and the Freedom top with T-tops and a list of other options, but your point is still made since it is a 2012.
    2. They should be asking $20k in my opinion.
    3. Back when bought our 1st new Corolla, we were really looking for 2 yrs. old (instead of my usual 4-6 yrs. old) and there were not from private sellers and the dealer wanted $11-$12k for cars with 24-30k miles on them so we just bought new for $14.5k and got the lower interest rate and new warranty.
    4. Using my formula that I will pay $500 - $1000 more/less when comparing 2 cars (or six) for a car for every 10k miles less mileage or more and for every year newer.
    5. Example: new 2015 for $15k verses 2 yrs. old with 30k miles on it for $12k, makes the new 2015 cost $15k - ($1k-$2k for years newer) and - ($1k - $2k for mileage for less mileage) = $14k - $16k comparing apples to apples. Therefore, the cars cost the same.

Top Bottom