• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There's been a change of plans.
    I'm now looking for a Rav4 for the wife since she now is wanting to update her 05 Corolla since she is due the next car and am/was planning to get a Jeep. :dunno:
    I don't blame her.
    I have told her on occasion that we could do that, but she never cared until I was going to get the next car. :laugh:
    I told her I'd keep the old Corolla for a winter beater and keep the S2000 car in the garage for the winter like normal people in S2KCA.
    I have found the perfect one with the color, heated seats, and other amenities she would like and it is even near the house, but, of course, they want retail like a car lot (since it is an Unlimited, all loaded up), so unless they come down, I'll keep looking.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Alot has happened since I went on vacation to TN before Xmas.
    My wife had driven the Honda CR-V and the HR-V and likes the smaller HR-V.
    i like the Toyota Rav4 better than the Honda CR-V, but that doesn't matter. :laugh:
    We will check into the Subaru Crosstrek, which is the size of the HR-V.
    Based on the new price ($24kish plus those $900 Destination fees) I would buy a used one for $18k - $20k with 10k-20k miles.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, due to the expenses of moving, the wife wants to wait and build up reserves before buying a vehicle.
    Did I marry right or what, ha!?
    If something comes along that is too good to pass up, I would jump on it, but that's not likely, since my wife wants her heated seats and AWD, and certain colors.
    After focusing on getting the wife a car, my interest in a Jeep has waned.
    There is still 1 Jeep out there with a great profile that I would have to go look at, but even though it was listed for sale, he didn't want to sell during the holidays.
    I'm not going to call him back up after contacting him 6 times trying to track him down before Xmas break.
    Maybe he'll call me, but my sense is that he won't.
    I would rather make the wife happy anyway by getting her a vehicle.
    So, a small SUV (subcompact) like Honda HR-V, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tuscon, Subaru Crosstrek are on the list, with the HR-V and the Crosstrek being the serious contenders, but I do like the fact that the Sportage and Tuscon have "regular" trannies, not the CVT type.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Have you tried a Mazda CX-3? It has a six speed automatic, and Mazdas are usually a lot of fun to drive.
    Out of the 4 you mentioned, I'd pick a Crosstrek.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you tried a Mazda CX-3? It has a six speed automatic, and Mazdas are usually a lot of fun to drive.
    Out of the 4 you mentioned, I'd pick a Crosstrek.

1. Thanks for the input.
    2. I drove the Crosstrek: it was fine; if the wife likes it better, she can have it.
    3. The Mazda CX-3 was on the list, but I read some negative reviews and crossed it out.
    4. I saw a list of the worst 12 SUVs, and it was on it (and some expensive ones were on it too), but the CR-V, Sportage and Crosstrek were not on the list, while the Mazda was??? I was surprised, and since I really lean toward Honda (since Toyota doesn't have a comparable SUV) or the Subaru. Toyota has a small one, but it doesn't even have AWD.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's a shame about the Mazda, it's a good looking vehicle. Didn't know that they had reliability issues.
    I just bought a new Ford Escape and couldn't be happier with it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Update from December/January.
    Been thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler since December when I researched for one and would have bought 4 different ones, but one sold while I was "thinking": $10k, with 100k miles, don't remember year, but tons of updates for things that normally need attention at 100k miles, owned by an older man like myself (who can afford good maintenance).

The other was a drop-dead gorgeous really decked out "town-Jeep" in perfect shape for $14-$15k with around 50k miles, but the guy wasn't serious about selling: very strange, I think he was just testing the waters.

The 4th one I drove down in Brown County, but I just didn't care for it (not sharp, just "normal"), had been bought to fix up and resell.

What I really wanted to buy was a Jeep with 8k miles on it from an older guy like myself with a price of $17-$18K. It was perfect color, not jacked up higher with a lift and came with a step, but he wouldn't budge on price, and any car just sitting in a garage can have issues when you start to drive it and would need every fluid replaced just for starters, but still I can't forget about it.

I have given a look but nothing close to some of the good buys I saw in winter.

Since my hip surgery is healing up I'm hoping to be able to get in/out of my roadster before school starts or I'll have to buy something.
    I need to get my other hip done next summer (if it will wait that long) and it will be more problematic b/c of medical issues with that leg and could mean not being able to drive the roadster period.
    Another approach is just buy the wife an SUV and I'll keep her Corolla for a "winter" car and a spare if I can't get into the roadster for a long time and so I wouldn't have to be in a hurry to get a Jeep for a solution to getting in/out of a vehicle.

Top Bottom