• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Not planning on selling, but if the Gov't starts to mail out checks like I've heard on the news, I'll be buying.

Funny, that's what I was thinking too. When W gave us all checks to go out and buy big screen tv's and stimulate the economy I took mine and stimulated the Romanian economy with a WASR 10. :laugh:

and to the original question, I doubt I'd sell anything, I rarely do. Only sold 2 guns ever. One was a glock 23, couldn't shoot straight with it. The other was the wife's LCP. She didn't like it and wanted something different and I didn't have a need for it since I already had a S&W bodyguard I liked better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I heard it correctly, the proposed 1K checks aren't actually free money? More like a loan? Won't they come out of next years tax return?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I heard it correctly, the proposed 1K checks aren't actually free money? More like a loan? Won't they come out of next years tax refund?
    FIFY.

Uh, so people would be getting a loan? "Here's a thousand dollars, but you'd better save it because you'll owe it in a year."

What about people with no income who don't file? Or in the lowest tax bracket? And even if it's only the 20% tax bracket repaying, even I (a DINK) need to plan ahead for that sort of thing.

How do I explain this come next tax season? "Uh, yeah, normally you'd get $200 as a refund, but instead, you need to come up with $800 by April."

Nah man, that ain't gonna fly.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Absolutely sell off at the panic times. Last panic I sold a bunch and regret not selling it all! Have an empty 36 gun safe if anyone is interested.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    FIFY.

Uh, so people would be getting a loan? "Here's a thousand dollars, but you'd better save it because you'll owe it in a year."

What about people with no income who don't file? Or in the lowest tax bracket? And even if it's only the 20% tax bracket repaying, even I (a DINK) need to plan ahead for that sort of thing.

How do I explain this come next tax season? "Uh, yeah, normally you'd get $200 as a refund, but instead, you need to come up with $800 by April."

Nah man, that ain't gonna fly.

Were they not tax credits last time the govt did one of these? Basically it was a tax credit issued/paid early, that then was accounted for on that year's tax return. Not a loan per se, but a tax credit that was just paid out before filing?

Found some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Growth_and_Tax_Relief_Reconciliation_Act_of_2001

Tax rebate

In addition to the tax cuts implemented by the EGTRRA, it initiated a series of rebates for all taxpayers that filed a tax return for 2000. The rebate was up to a maximum of $300 for single filers with no dependents, $500 for single parents, and $600 for married couples. Anybody who paid less than their maximum rebate amount in net taxes received that amount, meaning some people who did not pay any taxes did not receive rebates. The rebates were automatic for anybody who filed their 2000 tax return on time, or filed for an extension and quickly sent a return. If an eligible person did not receive a rebate check by December 2001, then they could apply for the rebate in their 2001 tax return.[SUP][7] [/SUP]

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Darn, I was going to ask about delivery...

Appreciate the offer, I'm sure it will fit in the back of your jeep well enough to get it here :p

Actually, if it is the one he had in the classies a couple of years back, probably too much $ for me to put out currently.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Were they not tax credits last time the govt did one of these? Basically it was a tax credit issued/paid early, that then was accounted for on that year's tax return. Not a loan per se, but a tax credit that was just paid out before filing?

Found some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Growth_and_Tax_Relief_Reconciliation_Act_of_2001

Yes, that was different. No one received a check, we just got different withholdings, which made the money trickle in such that people didn't notice, the come tax time it was a mess... that whole thing just dumb.

The problem is, people in service industries aren't getting a paycheck, so a change in withholds doesn't help.

And if you give me more money, well great! But I can't travel, I can't go to a bar, I can't use it now to help my local economy.

But if you don't do it through paycheck withholdings, then how exactly do you pay people? I don't know the answer.

EDIT: OH I KNOW! Have census workers hand them out! Fill out your census, get some cash!

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, that was different. No one received a check, we just got different withholdings, which made the money trickle in such that people didn't notice, the come tax time it was a mess... that whole thing just dumb.

The problem is, people in service industries aren't getting a paycheck, so a change in withholds doesn't help.

And if you give me more money, well great! But I can't travel, I can't go to a bar, I can't use it now to help my local economy.

But if you don't do it through paycheck withholdings, then how exactly do you pay people? I don't know the answer.

EDIT: OH I KNOW! Have census workers hand them out! Fill out your census, get some cash!
    The census people are not happy with me. I was told my case was being forwarded to the Dept. of Justice. :laugh:
    I told her "sounds good!"

Sidenote: anyone else get a fifty+ page book they wanted you to fill out this time around?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The census people are not happy with me. I was told my case was being forwarded to the Dept. of Justice. :laugh:

Sidenote: anyone else get a fifty+ page book they wanted you to fill out this time around?

That's an option?! With this COVID-19 thing, the amount of 1040's I've filed is down... and daddy needs his fix of government paperwork.

giphy.gif

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I think we did get a check on that one, didn't we? Like $600 or something?

I think you are thinking about the payroll tax cut that was done lowering the % on Social Security for a while there. That was different.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Nope, couple of page online survey was it for us.

Interesting thing is that they wanted to know who would be living here around 1-Apr which will skew the results given current situation (and said normally don't count college kids away at school ... which seems interesting given that they are residents here... but didn't matter since due to current situation both of mine have come home and will be here during that specified time anyway).

So sounds like you got the random longer version? Did you file a complaint and that got the census folks in a tizzy?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's a Mosin, that you haven't shot in years. Sounds like you won't regret selling it.

Mosin-Nagants are big, heavy, shoot heavy ammo, have poor capacity, accuracy is almost never better than "decent"... It's really not a "prepper" gun, they were just bought by preppers because they were cheap.

I bought one of the Moisins back when cheap and one or two spam cans of ammo. It has never been out of the house since I bought it.

Mosin-Nagants...my favorite milsurp. The Finn Mosins are likely some of the most accurate milsurp bolt-actions out there.

bsmDC9D.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    People already FUGAZY on armslist, I don't want to sell anything in my collection, but if a beater Chinese SKS gets to a going for price of $,$$$,000, I will get mine out of the closet and let it go.

Tomorrow looks a bit fuzzy.
    My guns are just fine where they are. They're more than just money to me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Every situation is unique, but I'd be very careful arming folks who just decided in this panic that it was time for their first gun.

I just told an acquaintance today that I couldn't help them. It was difficult, but the right move to make. They have poor gun handling, mindset and politics.

[video=youtube;yeAxZ9T1Ecw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeAxZ9T1Ecw[/video]

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Personally I am not selling anything. For one thing if you sell to a "Stranger" they could tell an unknown amount of people that you have firearms then you may be a target when the looting starts. Now if a close friend or family member needs something like that, you would just have to evaluate the risk. BTW IMHO, SHTF has already happened to a small degree. We'll just have to see if more SHTF.

Top Bottom