• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I guess I belive in both the second amendment and the free market. I also don't want to supply bad guys with a gun. But the 2nd and free market matter....a lot, so ask if legally prohibited and if resident and that's good enough for me. I do like bills of sale as they are good for both parties. They can be simple and non invasive. Maybe I'm just weird.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just my personal experience, when I sold two handguns I just asked to see their driver's license and LTCH then made sure the driver's license picture matched and both addresses matched. I didn't record anything and I wouldn't want anyone to record my info either. I don't remember the guys info at all, and if I am ever asked about it in the future I just know when and where I sold them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been told that a lot of INGO sellers don't ask buyers for anything. They already know who they are dealing with from their itrader listings and forum participation post history. :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Who gives a damn about how someone else wants to conduct their business transaction?

Well, it matters when you want to do business with them.

...and If Joe Bob is already "doing the work", then Joe Bob is more likely to support UBC, because it's not much more than what he's doing already.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Well, it matters when you want to do business with them.

...and If Joe Bob is already "doing the work", then Joe Bob is more likely to support UBC, because it's not much more than what he's doing already.

Was someone in the thread the OP’s buyer?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was someone in the thread the OP’s buyer?

As so often said by a judge on Law & Order, "You're client opened the door, councilor..."

So, by coming to INGO and asking about if his procedure is sufficient... INGO is an open forum where folks are aren't afraid to give their opinion, and I for one, find that to be a good thing.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As so often said by a judge on Law & Order, "You're client opened the door, councilor..."

So, by coming to INGO and asking about if his procedure is sufficient... INGO is an open forum where folks are aren't afraid to give their opinion, and I for one, find that to be a good thing.

Yep, he asked. Not like he posted a classified, someone else saw it and then started a thread on it. Fair game...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've purchased several weapons from other INGOers. All adds stated DL & LTCH...and none of them ever asked to actually see them. Perhaps just the requirement in the add chases off the ner-do-wells; or perhaps it was my imposing persona.

That being said...if you want to go to a LGS and do a NICS check; no sale. If I wanted to do that I'd just buy from the LGS and not engage in the hassle of timing and location.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Digression, since there haven't been any major thread jacks.

None of you shoot at Shoot Point Blank, do you.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I've purchased several weapons from other INGOers. All adds stated DL & LTCH...and none of them ever asked to actually see them. Perhaps just the requirement in the add chases off the ner-do-wells; or perhaps it was my imposing persona.

That being said...if you want to go to a LGS and do a NICS check; no sale. If I wanted to do that I'd just buy from the LGS and not engage in the hassle of timing and location.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd worry about as a seller. If you don't think it's necessary, don't ask. But if you advertise to the world that you do think it's necessary, but then you don't bother to check when the time comes, could that open the door to legal arguments that you were negligent, or worse? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it doesn't cost anything to look at someone's DL for a second.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's exactly the kind of thing I'd worry about as a seller. If you don't think it's necessary, don't ask. But if you advertise to the world that you do think it's necessary, but then you don't bother to check when the time comes, could that open the door to legal arguments that you were negligent, or worse? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it doesn't cost anything to look at someone's DL for a second.

When you run your add you have no idea who will be your buyer. It could be an individual that you literally know, one that you know through their INGO posts and itrader or someone without much history to be checked. I understand why some feel they must put the DL/LTCH notice in their adds for just in case.

Me personally, I'll mention the DL/LTCH check if there seems to be a need in PM or txt message correspondence. There is other behind the scenes communication that needs to happen for smooth trade meetings also.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I met a seller once. He turned out to be a dealer of some sort, with forms to fill out.

That wasn't mentioned anywhere in his ads here.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    So playing devil's advocate here, how does one know that the customer is of legal person based on our current laws? LTCH and DL won't indicate that. It seems that having to question this indicates that the person is pro UBC which is dumb. Yeah, just throw that reasoning out the window in the name of freedom right? All our survival instinct (spider sense) that's been passed down in our genes shouldn't matter right? If that really is the case, sellers here just sell to whoever regardless if the person is proper or not in our current laws? Just using rationale here. (I know our current NICS is very flawed and doesn't prevent 100% of criminals in getting a gun since they can still get it anyways.) But if the customer has a protection order for violent behavior, how would the seller know that? I know I wouldn't be able live with that if I had known that a prohibited person used my sold weapon to harm another. Yes, yes, I know, we can't prove intent. But that's not what I'm referring to as I mentioned already. So the OP, as a seller, just flips the coin and hope that the buyer is of proper person based on our current laws by looking at the DL and LTCH? I guess wevjust let our kids go talk to strangers since we can't prove intent. It's just annoying that when a member questions how to sell a gun and chooses FFL they're automatically pro gun registration.

Now, back to OP questions, the other way is through member vetting, which the OP has more chance of having a peace of mind.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The lack of a LTCH and DL could be an indicator of issues.

Years back I was selling a rifle. The potential purchaser was almost annoyingly wanting me to drive the whole distance to his distant town. He PM'ed me a couple/three times about this. :n00b: It just wasn't worth it for me to drive the distance for the trade money wise ($4.00 gal gas at the time,) thus the trade never went anywhere.

After the last bothersome PM, knowing the deal wasn't happening anyway, I researched the gent's post history. Turns out the guy's mom wouldn't let him drive out of town at the ripe age of 16. :rolleyes:

dk598

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I agree with bwframe. You really have no idea who you are selling to. The fact that he/she has a LTCH is an indicator (at least) that ISP has done a criminal check to ensure that he/she is not a convicted felon.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I agree with bwframe. You really have no idea who you are selling to. The fact that he/she has a LTCH is an indicator (at least) that ISP has done a criminal check to ensure that he/she is not a convicted felon.

How can we verify that a person's LTCH card is current, especially the lifetime one?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The lack of a LTCH and DL could be an indicator of issues.

Years back I was selling a rifle. The potential purchaser was almost annoyingly wanting me to drive the whole distance to his distant town. He PM'ed me a couple/three times about this. :n00b: It just wasn't worth it for me to drive the distance for the trade money wise ($4.00 gal gas at the time,) thus the trade never went anywhere.

After the last bothersome PM, knowing the deal wasn't happening anyway, I researched the gent's post history. Turns out the guy's mom wouldn't let him drive out of town at the ripe age of 16. :rolleyes:

I'm 19 now, do you still have the rifle? My mom said I can meet you 3/4 of the way.

Top Bottom