• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Man really I don't think you're required to check anything.
    Does the person look old enough? I would check if I questioned it.
    Do you have any reason to believe the person may be prohibited? Hard stop if yes.
    Is person a resident? Again I don't think you're required to check. If he's from Chicago and resells it there and things go sideways, it's on him but you might get some greif.

So to avoid greif, just seeing the drivers license says Indiana on it would be a good idea, but not required.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    A few years ago a co worker got a visit from the ATF at work. Every time his wife would go on a spending spree he had to sell his Glock to help pay some of the bills. This time he sold it to a buddy who sold it to someone else. That someone else used it to rob a few convent stores and got caught.
    The ATF told him to cover your hide get a name and address next time. Yes not copping anything down is legal but not checking an ID of someone you don't know could be expensive if the ATF wants to be not so nice that day.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A few years ago a co worker got a visit from the ATF at work. Every time his wife would go on a spending spree he had to sell his Glock to help pay some of the bills. This time he sold it to a buddy who sold it to someone else. That someone else used it to rob a few convent stores and got caught.
    The ATF told him to cover your hide get a name and address next time. Yes not copping anything down is legal but not checking an ID of someone you don't know could be expensive if the ATF wants to be not so nice that day.

Sounds like the ATF talking ****.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Call it what you want they can make your life miserable and the bad part is they use your money to do it.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Seems to me that this is the ATF doing a common cop thing, throwing a little weight around with something that they might not be able to back up, at least not legally.

Kind of like, "don't leave town" in TV crime shows, or, something I was guilty of earlier in my career, "if I have to come back here tonight, ....." ;)

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Seems to me that this is the ATF doing a common cop thing, throwing a little weight around with something that they might not be able to back up, at least not legally.

Kind of like, "don't leave town" in TV crime shows, or, something I was guilty of earlier in my career, "if I have to come back here tonight, ....." ;)

This is very possible. The point is they do have the ability to track firearms to a point. We all know that they won't bend the law even if they think they can get away with it.
    The few dollars made on that gun sale will be gone the first time you have to talk to a lawyer. When selling a firearm it is best to cover all your bases.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Call it what you want they can make your life miserable and the bad part is they use your money to do it.

They gave him some grief but I don't see where he did anything wrong. They're just wanting a chain of custody. Now be a good chap and tell me where all the guns are.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm still mystified by the concept of "selling a gun". I mean, I've heard of it, but I never imagined it was so common.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I wonder how the buyer knows the seller is legally able to sell a gun? Maybe the buyer should copy the sellers DL and LTC?

Works both ways....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I wonder how the buyer knows the seller is legally able to sell a gun? Maybe the buyer should copy the sellers DL and LTC?

Works both ways....
    Not just that. You should also get a copy of his receipt to show he legally purchased it. It could be hot.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm still mystified by the concept of "selling a gun". I mean, I've heard of it, but I never imagined it was so common.

I have the same thought.....

On a related note, the previous wife required that I sell one of my existing cars or guns before getting another. The current Mrs. MarkC does not apply such an unreasonable, restrictive rule.

On the other hand, I now have what some would call a surfeit of both guns and cars. :):

And that is just one of the many reasons this Mrs. MarkC and Mr. MarkC are working out so well, IMHO. I am a very blessed man, in many ways.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Not just that. You should also get a copy of his receipt to show he legally purchased it. It could be hot.

Good point! If has some kind of bogus story about not having a receipt for the rifle he allegedly supposedly received as a gift from his allegedly now-long-gone father, is it okay to waterboard him to get the information?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm 19 now, do you still have the rifle? My mom said I can meet you 3/4 of the way.

I don't young man. However, I have a sweet long range big boy rifle that I'm getting ready to part with.

The rifle will be in the classifieds soon or you can PM me quickly to beat the crowd to it. Happy to meet you halfway and see your DL/LTCH (nothing recorded) to verify your proper person status.

Let's do this!

Top Bottom