• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sounds good , but i might be in one spot for an hour then move 10 miles away or i could be in the general area for a month. The only time Ive ever had officers with me in Indiana was working in Gary.
    Utility companies generally dont hire officers for construction zones
    An hour is more time getting people to slow down, than you're going to get on the camera.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The 25ft. law is ****ing stupid. Will we be measuring it to the inch? What if one is attempting to help at the scene. Whatever, it's ****ing stupid - and wrong. The kids in bar area is only catching up with the rest of the country. @Cameramonkey is right, the divide/separation has become so trivial that it can sometimes be unclear where family dining stops and adult dining starts. I didn't realize 18-20 year olds were already allowed to sit in the bar area if with adult. The speed camera "pilot program" is simply the beginning to a greater use of cameras for revenue. Per the bill, if ticketed you only pay a civil fine and not points on your license; so only for money and money is addictive to gov's.
    I'm assuming because they just tag the registered owner of the vehicle vs who is actually driving?
    Kind of hard to hit you with points if they can't identify who is driving.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are still ongoing lawsuits over people contesting their ticket, and finding out, it's difficult to argue with a camera.

And they're suing because cameras have been found miscalibrated.

So, imagine getting home, finding 2 tickets in the mail, and you weren't even speeding.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    True
    But when people start getting tickets in the mail MAYBE they will start slowing down.
    I know we've all seen it as soon as the cop is out of sight people are right back to speeding, texting, whatever
    Many of those people are suing.

Cameras get set up, and then due to normal bureaucracy, get calibrated wrong, or the calibration drifts, or the camera is simply inoperable.
    Then, there's the courts, that have made some cities refund those tickets.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    iu

You have a kid....in a bar?

Short of restaurant bar type, who takes their kid into a bar?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My dad got a red light ticket from a camera in Chicago.
    They provided 3 pictures, "proving" my dad's guilt.
    In ALL 3 photos, my dad's car was in the same spot.

In the lane next to him, there was another car, in 3 DIFFERENT spots in the photos, proving he was moving.
    The camera's calibration was off.

He won, cause he disputed it.
    How many didn't.
    And Chicago has been found to IGNORE those problems, cause it's generating cash.

Now, with a speed camera, how do you dispute it?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Ok, Utility companies or road construction companies hire cops for construction zones, are you good with your utility bills or taxes going up? Someone has to pay for the cops.
    I'm not saying the cameras are the best thing. I just dont want to get hit by a car, and if the cameras make people think and slow down all the better for anyone working on the road.
    There's no good answer to make it safe for road workers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I read the aka "camera bill" yesterday in full. As I understand it there is supposed to be a sign declaring the cameras existence in the construction zone. It is only supposed to be used when workers are present. First offense is warning, second is $75, each after that is $150. Civil, no points on operators license. Coppers, real LEOs not cams, and the speeding ticket is per the existing law, which frankly, is ouchie; big money and points. It allows for four cameras per year and only four workzones per year. I understand that to mean "they" can't move a camera from one zone to another within the same year. The offender (speeder) will only be cited by the camera if traveling "at least" 11mph over the reduced speed limit. Intrestingly the speed reduction for camera use must be 10mph or greater than the normal speed for that road. "They" aren't allowed to use the camera's recording(s) for any other purpose. Yeah, sure. This whole speed camera thing is pure ****. It will not eliminate speeders. It will be irrelevant to actual accidents and deaths in construction zones. I'll be curious to see how "they" know when workers are there or not. Overtime on Sat./Sun.? One guy collecting odds and ends during the off-hours? I genuinely feel for the peeps that work just feet away from 60mpg cars missiles. But really, this bill doesn't address that. It financializes it. For those that might want to review the law....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok, Utility companies or road construction companies hire cops for construction zones, are you good with your utility bills or taxes going up? Someone has to pay for the cops.
    I'm not saying the cameras are the best thing. I just dont want to get hit by a car, and if the cameras make people think and slow down all the better for anyone working on the road.
    Hiring officers is one of the things I'm okay with.
    It's an actual function of government.

And you said, "if the camera makes people think..."
    I disagree that it will slow them.
    If that were true, then all these camera businesses would go broke because PEOPLE SLOWED DOWN.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I asked my favorite restaurant if they would be allowing kids in the bar area and they said no, as their bar patrons probably wouldn't want to be around kids. I can respect that, and I can respect each restaurant's ability to choose whether or not they allow it. The law doesn't say they have to.

As for traffic cameras, well, I detest speeding in construction zones. It's disrespectful to the people working there, and nobody's getting anywhere any faster. Just leave your house at an appropriate time!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...when people start getting tickets in the mail MAYBE they will start slowing down.
    I know we've all seen it as soon as the cop is out of sight people are right back to speeding, texting, whatever

I totally wish you and all yours safe days. I have a nephew out there with you.

That said, when folks start getting tickets, hopefully they will raise holy hell! Maybe it will be time to hold the road construction operations accountable for the construction zone they declare? 5-6-7 miles of absolutely nothing going on, but making a massive disruption in commuter traffic backups. A lot of the time, after being slowed down and held up in traffic, you never even see a worker at all. WTAF???? :xmad:

The other area where there is a HUGE problem is the alternative roadways and detours are often under construction also. Why does no one in charge of the roads have no sense that people still have to travel the roads, even while the highway construction industry makes a living at a seemingly turtle pace?

Hopefully these tickets will rattle some cages. Why does no one in charge of this crap understand that A LOT OF THE inattention and speeding is because of the inefficiency of highway construction overall?

No one wants anyone hurt. We are just trying to get where we are going. Time is valuable for all of us. Please don't waste mine.

:dunno:

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My Uncle held my cousin's high school graduation party in a bar. Some of my other cousins were under 18 but came with their parents, so it was legal in Wisconsin.

Lived in WI until my family moved to IN when I was 17. Before we moved, if my dad was out doing thing with friends without my mom, he usually took one of my brothers or me with him. Almost always ended up in a bar and that sucked. Sit around while the adults drank adult beverages. Been around enough drunks before i was 18 to last a lifetime.
    And that is one of the reasons I do not drink.

My dad was not an alcoholic, just a weekend drinker. After we moved away from his drinking buddies he quit drinking and after a few years quit smoking.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’m a bridge superintendent that started as a laborer. I have been nearly killed or had close calls countless times over the last 25 years. There are better ways to control speed in construction zones than massive government overreach. If that means additional patrols or extra cost I’m fine with that. Something about giving up liberty for safety that turns my guts. Have those cops write one of those 10000 dollar tickets and put it on the nightly news.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    As long as you drive the posted limit, hang up the phone and pay attention this is a non issue.
    FIFY

Red light cameras and widespread speed cameras by 2026.
    Our friends in Europe have shown us there are methods to combat them. Think civil disobedience and appropriate graffiti/vandalism (think costuming/covering) of those cameras.

Top Bottom