• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That's what I call a sight radius, DD!

By the way, there is a buffalo farm just a quarter mile down the road from me. Not exactly fair chase, but what the heck?

I think its a sport if he walks in... and unfair if he is driven in and shoots from the back of a moving car...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That's what I call a sight radius, DD!

By the way, there is a buffalo farm just a quarter mile down the road from me. Not exactly fair chase, but what the heck?

I was watching PBS one time and they were riding with an Native American as he was on a sacred "buffalo hunt"....He was lecturing the host about how sacred the buffalo was to his people and that white's didn't understand the symbiotic relationship they have with Tonka...He then spotted a buffalo grazing 30 yards away, hit the brakes, put his cig in the ash tray and asked the host to hold his beer while he placed the barrel of his scoped rifle out the window and shot the buffalo....

They went to the buffalo and he knelt down and starting singing a song to the buffalo in his native tongue....I laughed for days....

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I was watching PBS one time and they were riding with an Native American as he was on a sacred "buffalo hunt"....He was lecturing the host about how sacred the buffalo was to his people and that white's didn't understand the symbiotic relationship they have with Tonka...He then spotted a buffalo grazing 30 yards away, hit the brakes, put his cig in the ash tray and asked the host to hold his beer while he placed the barrel of his scoped rifle out the window and shot the buffalo....

They went to the buffalo and he knelt down and starting singing a song to the buffalo in his native tongue....I laughed for days....

Moral of the story sing a song after blasting a Buffalo from your moving car and all its all cool. Those Buffalo Farmers can not say a word.. I guess the singing after the kill erases the stigma of Drinking and hunting also..

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've been looking into a bison 'hunt', many places won't let you walk in...just get out of the truck and shoot. Apparently having customers gored and trampled is bad for the insurance rates. Some of the western 'hunts' (there are no more roving herds of bison) they specifically warn you that you may be trampled and or gored because your horse will run away.

The big advantage of a local shoot is that a: buy local, support local farms and b: when they hand you 800lbs of meat a head and a hide you're much closer to home.

DD...do you know if that's cleared for modern "Marlin Only" ammo like from Cor-Bon or Garrett, or low pressure rounds safe in the trapdoors.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've been looking into a bison 'hunt', many places won't let you walk in...just get out of the truck and shoot. Apparently having customers gored and trampled is bad for the insurance rates. Some of the western 'hunts' (there are no more roving herds of bison) they specifically warn you that you may be trampled and or gored because your horse will run away.

The big advantage of a local shoot is that a: buy local, support local farms and b: when they hand you 800lbs of meat a head and a hide you're much closer to home.

DD...do you know if that's cleared for modern "Marlin Only" ammo like from Cor-Bon or Garrett, or low pressure rounds safe in the trapdoors.

The part in bold is not quite correct, free ranging, huntable herds are very, very limited but they do exist. South Dakota, Utah, Arizona, and Alaska all have lottery drawings for free ranging bison tags. Some of those bison herds roam larger areas than others, most have very long draw odds, and all are pretty pricey. Mexico and Canada have free ranging bison herds as well.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Make sure the lever pin is in the correct position before you shoot it. I believe it is supposed to be to the left of the retaining pin, not to the right.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

It's safe for commercial smokeless rounds. I'm not going to be putting anything too hot through it. Once I get through the commercial I have I'll start reloading for it and will probably load them in the middle range of loads.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Make sure the lever pin is in the correct position before you shoot it. I believe it is supposed to be to the left of the retaining pin, not to the right.
    I wondered about that. So that lever should be to the rear of the little pin next to it? In the pics it's in front of it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    AG is correct. You'd find out eventually (from recoil).

Also, make sure the hammer is at half-cock before dropping the locking brace. It is easy to damage/breakoff firing pins if you forget.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been looking at Hodgdon's load data and they have 3 categories for 45-70 - Trapdoor rifles, Lever Action rifles and Modern rifles. Seems like I'd want the Trapdoor loads. They're quite a bit lower in pressure (17,300 - 21,100 CUP with IMR 3031). The Lever action loads are a good deal higher at 26,900 - 37,300) and the Modern rifle loads are the highest at 35,400 - 47,100 with IMR 4198. Now I'm wondering if I should even shoot the commercial ammo I have or just pull them down and reload them.

These are all based on 405 gr. lead flat point projectiles.

Top Bottom