• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I've seen "paper patch" mentioned in some of my reading, but thought maybe it was just for the black powder loads. Is that required with smokeless? I know Hodgdon doesn't mention anything about it on their load data site. Is it just for filler since it's such a large case?

You can use paper patches on cast and swaged bullets. For hunting loads it's pretty good 'cause it provides a wear surface between the gooshy lead and the barrel. A generous slope into the barrel works best and so old military rifles with the throats eroded away can be really good... just load them with smokeless and find a load that works.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can use paper patches on cast and swaged bullets. For hunting loads it's pretty good 'cause it provides a wear surface between the gooshy lead and the barrel. A generous slope into the barrel works best and so old military rifles with the throats eroded away can be really good... just load them with smokeless and find a load that works.

I found some HSM 405 gr. hard cast lead flat point cowboy loads (low pressure) on Midway USA's site and ordered a couple boxes last night. They're made with Starline brass (which I'm planning on getting anyway). Decided not to shoot the commercial (hunting) rounds I have, just to be on the safe side.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I found some HSM 405 gr. hard cast lead flat point cowboy loads (low pressure) on Midway USA's site and ordered a couple boxes last night. They're made with Starline brass (which I'm planning on getting anyway). Decided not to shoot the commercial (hunting) rounds I have, just to be on the safe side.

With what I have read in regards to your new rifle it sounds prudent to keep the pressure under 20,000. I was going to offer to send you a bunch of 20 to 1 cast 520 grain Postells but I believe your rifle has a 1 in 20" twist barrel and that's to slow to run heavy traditional 450 to 550 grain bullets. It should do a great job with the 405's you just bought.
    If you do start to load and want to try heavy bullets send me a pm and I'll hook you up.
    It would be interesting to do a chamber cast with your rifle, what I read is the chambers were cut on a lathe and some are oversize.
    I have a handful of different molds that will drop different size noses so some will ride the bore and some not depending on how the chamber was cut.

Lots of good books out there also, Paul Matthews has written a few.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I was under the impression that the commercial hunting loads were loaded light for safety in old style rifles. Some of my load data for heavier loads specifically states for Marlin rifles only. But, definitely better safe than sorry.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I was under the impression that the commercial hunting loads were loaded light for safety in old style rifles. Some of my load data for heavier loads specifically states for Marlin rifles only. But, definitely better safe than sorry.

What book is this heavy load data just for Marlins in please.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    With what I have read in regards to your new rifle it sounds prudent to keep the pressure under 20,000. I was going to offer to send you a bunch of 20 to 1 cast 520 grain Postells but I believe your rifle has a 1 in 20" twist barrel and that's to slow to run heavy traditional 450 to 550 grain bullets. It should do a great job with the 405's you just bought.
    If you do start to load and want to try heavy bullets send me a pm and I'll hook you up.
    It would be interesting to do a chamber cast with your rifle, what I read is the chambers were cut on a lathe and some are oversize.
    I have a handful of different molds that will drop different size noses so some will ride the bore and some not depending on how the chamber was cut.

Lots of good books out there also, Paul Matthews has written a few.

Thanks for the offer! I've heard the same about the chambers. I've seen where some guys bore them out to use 45-90 but I really don't want to have to do that.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You are welcome, let me know if you are going to load and I will ship you some heavy bullets and or I can meet you at Elwood CC and we can shoot some charcoal and or smokeless.
    Is the rear sight marked Pedersoli?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are welcome, let me know if you are going to load and I will ship you some heavy bullets and or I can meet you at Elwood CC and we can shoot some charcoal and or smokeless.
    Is the rear sight marked Pedersoli?

I'll have to look more closely. I haven't seen any markings on it other than the calibrations (which I can barely see! :):).

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Not to appear snooty, but there is nothing quite like shooting these 19th century firearms with black powder. The recoil impulse is different than smokeless...more of a push than a punch. The air is filled with history.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not to appear snooty, but there is nothing quite like shooting these 19th century firearms with black powder. The recoil impulse is different than smokeless...more of a push than a punch. The air is filled with history.

I've had muzzle loaders before, but I don't have any experience with black powder cartridges. I know it's a different feel recoil-wise though.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Here's a write up about your Sharps. It's very interesting. Shooting A Sharps

You might also want to see if Badger Creek Firearms in Moorseville has some 45-70 cowboy action loads in stock. I went in there about a month ago and he had some jacketed 45-70 but no solid lead, which is required for cowboy action shooting. He said he was going to order some HSM cowboy action loads in 45-70. If he did, he should have them by now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here's a write up about your Sharps. It's very interesting. Shooting A Sharps

You might also want to see if Badger Creek Firearms in Moorseville has some 45-70 cowboy action loads in stock. I went in there about a month ago and he had some jacketed 45-70 but no solid lead, which is required for cowboy action shooting. He said he was going to order some HSM cowboy action loads in 45-70. If he did, he should have them by now.

Good read, thanks! :yesway:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've had muzzle loaders before, but I don't have any experience with black powder cartridges. I know it's a different feel recoil-wise though.

Like I posted above, if you would like to shoot some BP loads in your rifle just let me know and I will meet you at Elwood and we can shoot away. I'll show you the in's and outs of loading black powder cartridges along with a blow tube and other fun stinky facts. Plus we get to irritate the smokeless shooters.
    I'll bring a Highwall.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Brass is just a passing fad.
    Aint much of nothing better than 4oo plus grains of gift wrapped galena.
    Navarone Bullets.JPG

Top Bottom