• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    45-70 is one of the easiest cartridges to load, shoot, hunt and hit with. And they're plumb cool too.

45-70.JPG

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Is the rifle stamped " Black Powder Only" ?
    If not you are safe to shoot the middle loads without a care in the world. If this was a modern Browning / Winchester Highwall or a Browning 1886 lever you can shoot the high pressure loads in them.
    You could always send a email to the importer or the manufacturer and ask.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Do you use smokeless or black powder?

That's one of my bro's hunting loads.
    Smokeless (1800FPS) and 500 grains straight soft lead, 25% rag content onion skin paper.
    Cuts cloverleafs at a hundred.
    I keep telling him he's gonna give himself shaken baby syndrome.

The 45-70 loads I shot in the rolling block was the old Lyman 500 grain #457125 plain base round nose with black or pyrodex.
    They'd shove you around a little but not bounce you like the bobble head in a hot rod's rear window.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Crap, there goes my faith in the Internet.. What you are saying is some poor schmuck could have bought this thinking it was a high wall.. Man life in the digital age...

I'm pretty sure the guy that bought it knew what he was buying, and is so pleased with it, he is showing it off. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is the rifle stamped " Black Powder Only" ?
    If not you are safe to shoot the middle loads without a care in the world. If this was a modern Browning / Winchester Highwall or a Browning 1886 lever you can shoot the high pressure loads in them.
    You could always send a email to the importer or the manufacturer and ask.

No black powder only stamp. I will definitely go with the milder loads though. I've grown rather partial to my hands and the side of my face! :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's one of my bro's hunting loads.
    Smokeless (1800FPS) and 500 grains straight soft lead, 25% rag content onion skin paper.
    Cuts cloverleafs at a hundred.
    I keep telling him he's gonna give himself shaken baby syndrome.

The 45-70 loads I shot in the rolling block was the old Lyman 500 grain #457125 plain base round nose with black or pyrodex.
    They'd shove you around a little but not bounce you like the bobble head in a hot rod's rear window.

I've seen "paper patch" mentioned in some of my reading, but thought maybe it was just for the black powder loads. Is that required with smokeless? I know Hodgdon doesn't mention anything about it on their load data site. Is it just for filler since it's such a large case?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been known to be quite slow sometimes.

I kept wondering why no one else was saying anything.:ugh:
    No worries. Indy1919a4 actually was the one that let me know it was listed wrong. This was my first foray into these types of rifles so I was pretty clueless. I couldn't figure out why, when I googled High Walls, the rifles all looked different than this one! :):

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    No worries. Indy1919a4 actually was the one that let me know it was listed wrong. This was my first foray into these types of rifles so I was pretty clueless. I couldn't figure out why, when I googled High Walls, the rifles all looked different than this one! :):

Hey man do not cut your self down.. You knew which end of the muzzle the bullet goes out of, that puts you head and shoulders above most...

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Thanks. Congrats on your find, and enjoy. Maybe one day I will get one like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_BAQoVLtI

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks. Congrats on your find, and enjoy. Maybe one day I will get one like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_BAQoVLtI

Oh Man you do not want a High Wall.... You want a Sharps or a Trapdoor.. With a Sharps you can help clear the plains of Buffalo, and a trap door you can ride with Custer to
    the Little Big Horn...With a High Wall all you will get is a beautiful, finely designed, well made John Browning designed rifle... Geez what fun will that be...

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The part in bold is not quite correct, free ranging, huntable herds are very, very limited but they do exist. South Dakota, Utah, Arizona, and Alaska all have lottery drawings for free ranging bison tags. Some of those bison herds roam larger areas than others, most have very long draw odds, and all are pretty pricey. Mexico and Canada have free ranging bison herds as well.

Well...to reiterate: a: buy local, support local farms and b: when they hand you 800lbs of meat a head and a hide you're much closer to home.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Well...to reiterate: a: buy local, support local farms and b: when they hand you 800lbs of meat a head and a hide you're much closer to home.

I'm confused, what does either have to do with that fact that there are indeed still free roaming herds of buffalo that can be hunted?

I'm sure one could find a farmer nearby that would sell one a cow and let him dispatch it with whatever one wanted, if buying local and procuring meat as easily as possible were the only goals. One might not get the full 800 lbs. but it would be better meat and the amount of hunting would be about the same.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Oh Man you do not want a High Wall.... You want a Sharps or a Trapdoor.. With a Sharps you can help clear the plains of Buffalo, and a trap door you can ride with Custer to
    the Little Big Horn...With at High Wall all you will get is a beautiful, finely designed, well made John Browning designed rifle... Geez what fun will that be...

:laugh: I just can't figure it out, for some reason I tend to gravitate towards stuff designed by John Browning. :dunno:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm confused, what does either have to do with that fact that there are indeed still free roaming herds of buffalo that can be hunted?

I'm sure one could find a farmer nearby that would sell one a cow and let him dispatch it with whatever one wanted, if buying local and procuring meat as easily as possible were the only goals. One might not get the full 800 lbs. but it would be better meat and the amount of hunting would be about the same.

Actually, I was thinking of supporting the continued commercial viability of bison as much as possible (in America) with the time I have before I retire. I've looked at some of the hunts in the places you mention and many do require you to step out of the truck and shoot the animal. Spending a few extra hours bouncing around doesn't appeal to me at this point in time.

Top Bottom