• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Form 1 completed today, finger prints and CLEO sign off in the extremely near future!!! Draco SBR here I come!
    You're so going to send me a Christmas card this year... you're going to love that thing.

We need to organize an SBR shoot. :)

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I was under the impression that adding a stock to a "pistol" type weapon was against the law. I know I have read that in gun magazines before. So, is this legal or not?:dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was under the impression that adding a stock to a "pistol" type weapon was against the law. I know I have read that in gun magazines before. So, is this legal or not?:dunno:

It is illegal. UNLESS you file the proper paperwork with the ATF, and pay them a special $200 tax.

The OP has completed this process, therefore his configuration is legal.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    What's your OAL on that thing now?

This is what the rifle looks like right now.

1250790580_gngHY-L.jpg

US Palm Battle Grip
    Midwest Industries / US Palm rail system
    Magpul AFG grip
    Vortex SPARC with dedicated US Palm rail upper
    ACE side folding stock

Next up I will Duracoat the rifle and do a video on that whole process. It's on my to-do list for this summer.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    OAL Stock Extended: 31.5"
    OAL Stock Folded: 22.25"

That's with a 7.5" ACE stock with the rubber butt pad installed (comes with stock but installation is optional).

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    OAL Stock Extended: 31.5"
    OAL Stock Folded: 22.25"

That's with a 7.5" ACE stock with the rubber butt pad installed (comes with stock but installation is optional).

great. thats about what I figured it would be.

For giggles, here are some comparison OAL numbers.

M4: Stock extended = 33in
    M4: Stock retracted = 29in
    MK18 AR SBR: 25in
    m16: 39in
    AK47: w/ Nato length buttstock = 35in
    AK47: w/ Warsaw length buttstock = 34in
    AK74: w/ Warsaw 37in
    Krinkov AK folded: 21in

Thanks for the info !

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    So what was the final verdict on if you had to still make the 922 compliant changes to an SBR or it already being a Class 3 cover it? Or is one of those things where people still prefer changing out the parts regarless because US parts are just better? (I've never gone thru the 922 process before, so I'm just making guesses here) Wouldn't it just be then ordering a Draco and then installing the swinging stock, filling the paper work and bam, SBR? I'm interested in this build so just wanted to work out all the details before thinking about starting it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So what was the final verdict on if you had to still make the 922 compliant changes to an SBR or it already being a Class 3 cover it? Wouldn't it just be then ordering a Draco and then installing the swinging stock, filling the paper work and bam, SBR? I'm interested in this build so just wanted to work out all the details before thinking about starting it.

Don't install that stock until you get your paperwork back.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Oh right, I guess it's get the Draco and then do the paper work, then if approved, add the stock. I've never done anything in the Class 3 world except a suppressor so far, so lots of this is still new, untraveled country for me, so I might say some incorrect stuff, haha.

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    whats up with the rust on the bottom on the muzzle area? are the Dracos made new or are the parts kit? after seeing this i really want the SBR with under folder and a silencer oh god just thinking about it :faint:

Last edited:

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    Great lookin AK.

Question...was at a Pawn shop the other day and there was a romanian ak underfolder. Does this require any Class III dealings to purchase or is it your typical rifle purchase?

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Awesome to hear! I'll put some more thought and research into this project then.

I called the ATF again 922 doesnt apply to a pistol and does not apply to a SBR. I will have pictures posted of mine later tonight.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I think it's funny how some just don't get it.
    I've heard on other threads and other forums around the interwebs that "it's just 4 inches" (that's not what your mother said).

4 inches makes alot of difference when working around vehicles and buildings. 4 inches is the difference between a "rifle" length and "carbine" length AR. It changes the feel of the weapon making it much easier to handle.

Plus this is probably the cheapest way to go for a rock solid reliable SBR.

Just the facts

As far as practical purposes go its a range toy, but then again most guns are.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I think it's funny how some just don't get it.
    I've heard on other threads and other forums around the interwebs that "it's just 4 inches" (that's not what your mother said).

4 inches makes alot of difference when working around vehicles and buildings. 4 inches is the difference between a "rifle" length and "carbine" length AR. It changes the feel of the weapon making it much easier to handle.

Plus this is probably the cheapest way to go for a rock solid reliable SBR.

Just the facts

As far as practical purposes go its a range toy, but then again most guns are.

It can be a big difference:

4123432736_2db621ca7d_z.jpg

Top Bottom