• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I started with a basic NRA pistol class, and you've been given some good leads for training. I'll add the following opinions:

If you are near the west side, Marion County Fish and Game is a great place to shoot, and folks are usually willing to show off their firearms so you can get a good idea what's out there, when you get to that point.

The Cornered Cat website is great, and I recommend reading her materials there while you're trying to find time to take a class.

Congrats on taking these steps!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    A great place to learn some fundamentals of safety and general shooting knowledge is the Appleseed program (RWVA.org) It's rifles not handguns, but ladies shoot for a nominal registration plus range fee, usually under $20 total
    We love new shooters and do our best to help them. Plus you'll meet a ton of good people.
    There are shoots taking place in Indy or close by monthly and you can attend even if you don't have a .22 rifle, just ask about a loaner when you sign up. Just about every instructor carries one or two for people just like you.

If you have questions, post them in the Appleseed subforum here on INGO, or in the Indiana board on the actual Appleseed web site. :patriot:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    .22 would be good to start with...

I agree a .22 rifle and pistol would be good to start with. Ruger 10/22 rifle and Mark II or III pistol is what I would recommend.

I live a little north of Indy by Sheridan. I have my own range and would be willing to show you the basics and let you try a variety of guns.

Mark

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Megan. I've got everything from .22 rifles and pistols up through the personal defense handguns and big boomers. I would be more than happy to help you learn to shoot. Retired Air Force, prior medical career. Have shot in competition for the past 20 years. I've been told I'm a very good teacher, and no, I'm not a stalker,lol. If you'd like to send me a PM I'm located about 60 miles South of Indy and have a private range on my property.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Give the guys at ACT a try. My wife and some of her friends have taken a basic pistol class from them and were very happy with it. They can start you with basic and provide more advanced classes as you progress.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, I looked into doing some firearms courses, and they were pretty expensive, and seemed more intense than I was looking for. SOOOO, I guess I'm looking for something a little bit more laid back. And cheaper. I was kind of hoping some one around here shot regularly and could take a little while to show me the ropes so to speak. You're going to need a lot of patience though. I've only seen a gun in person one time.

You are an ideal candidate for our (ACT's) BP100 Basic Pistol class. The class is all about safety, safe and efficient operation of your handgun, and the fundamentals of marksmanship. It's a great introduction for anyone to handguns and firearms in general and we've probably had at least as many women in this class as we've had men. You may also want to continue with other classes. We usually have our IP101 Intermediate Pistol class on the same day as BP100.

BP100 only requires four hours of your valuable time and since you want to learn, you will learn much during those four hours. Tuition for the class is only $65. The next offering is at Warsaw, IN on 06AUG11, but we should have another either in Indianapolis or at Atlanta, IN very soon.

If you don't have your own gun yet, we can arrange for a variety of loaners. In fact, we let you try several different guns if you want. All you need to bring is brass-cased, factory ammunition of the caliber(s) you want to shoot (plus your eye and hearing protection).

We also do private and small group lessons if that interests you.

Let us know if you are interested.

Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Megan, we have an embarrassment of riches as far as gun safety training goes.

We have many NRA certified instructors around Indianapolis. For some classes you don't even need to own a pistol as they will provide one.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    what Rhino said, I'm a long time customer of A.C.T. and they are about the best bang for the buck when it comes to training.

They've trained several men and women I know, all happy customers.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We at Adaptive Consulting and Traingin are offering some courses near Warsaw on August 6th that are only $65 each.

We will be offering the same ones in Indy in October. Email me for info.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Any of the NRA Basic Pistol courses would be a good fit.

I would also recommend ACT. I have trained with them and feel the same way as the above posters who recommended them. Good guys, good training philosophy, and very affordable.

If you are looking to get to the range for free, I am sure many people here would be happy to take you. I am from Indy and I shoot every weekend. If you wanted to tag along with me and a couple friends of mine, we'd be happy to have you along. We are pretty experienced and in your age range (mid to late 20's), if that is a factor for you. Most Saturdays or Sundays would work. You can shoot me an email at jsclark05@yahoo.com if you're interested.

At some point though, I highly recommend some professional training in an organized course. I have taken many different classes including NRA basic pistol to more "advanced" "Tactical" pistol courses with shoot houses and force on force. I learned something from each of them and I would be so far behind where I am had I not invested in that training. And I find it's much easier to get started on the right foot with solid instruction.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    We at Adaptive Consulting and Training are offering some courses near Warsaw on August 6th that are only $65 each.

We will be offering the same ones in Indy in October. Email me for info.

^^^^^^^THIS!

If you're serious about wanting to get started and wanting to learn the right way, get to some training. With this training, you get both classroom and live fire time, and you could probably even try different guns. I highly recommend this training. It's well worth the small investment.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I can whole heartily endorse ACT. I took their Basic course with my 13 year old son, and I continue to take more advanced courses from them.

The Basic pistol course sounds like a good fit for your needs.

They are professional and a great value compared to a lot of these other trainers that want to charge you a weeks pay for a few hours of instruction.

A big +1 for ACT. Good luck with your training!:yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I would be willing to help you out. I serve on the board of directors for one of central Indiana's best shooting ranges which is located in speedway. I'm not a certified instructor but I know my way around a variety of firearms and love to help folks learn more. Let me know if I can help and I would be glad to meet you at the range sometime.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    TFT has a "Ladies Only" Basic Pistol Course! Check out www.tactical-firearms.com. All of our courses are taught at Eagle Creek Pistol Range, right here in Indy.

If you'd rather have some private insturction at the range instead of participating in a class with several other people, we offer that too!

Guy

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom