• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I would be willing to help you out. I serve on the board of directors for one of central Indiana's best shooting ranges which is located in speedway. I'm not a certified instructor but I know my way around a variety of firearms and love to help folks learn more. Let me know if I can help and I would be glad to meet you at the range sometime.

:yesway:

You couldn't go wrong with this offer. It would be a great introduction and he can point you to the right class or classes from there. Awesome range but you may need sunglasses when around Nick (unless he has a hat on ;)).
    My wife and I would be glad to take you to our range (FCVCC) if you wanted to shoot some rifle also. It is in Anderson so not to far. Good luck and welcome to INGO.

MeganT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Phew, the last couple days have been hectic! While I was gone I got a lot of great offers though. As soon as a get some spare time, I'm going to take a couple of you up on those offers! Thanks.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Megan, welcome to INGO and to the shooting community. I want to congratulate you on taking steps to learn about firearms. I believe it is so important for people, especially women to know how to safely and accurately use a firearm. It's also a lot of fun!!!

There has been a lot of good advice so far on this thread and there is even more on INGO and other sites. As was advised previously be careful who you listen to and be MORE careful who you contact and possibly give personal information to or agree to meet someplace to "discuss" firearms training. This isn't directed at anyone in particular or at INGO specifically. It is general advice not to give out too much information or agree to meet in person those you have "met" online.

Also, I will be conducting an NRA Basic Pistol Course on Saturday, September 10th from 7:45AM to approximately 5:30PM. I have several firearms you can use, so you don't need to own one. As a matter of fact, if you decide to take my course, I'd recommend not buying prior to taking it since we will cover how you go about choosing a firearm. The course involves approximately 6 hours of class time and 2+ hours of range time. You can read more about by clicking on this link. Marion County Fish and Game is located on the near west side of Indianapolis and although is a private club, this course is open to anyone. You may want to consider joining MCF&G as well so you have great place to practice any day of the year. The club's webpage can be found here.

I will also be offering an NRA Refuse to Be a Victim Course sometime over the winter months. This is a non-shooting course that teaches common sense tactics for avoiding dangerous situations. The best way to survive a dangerous situation is to avoid it.

Whether you decide to take one of my courses or not, it is important to get instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about. Just because they have been shooting for 20+ years doesn't mean they have been shooting correctly for those 20+ year and know the fundamentals. Remember: Practice doesn't make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect. Someone who has a certification usually knows what he/she is talking about, so that is a good place to start.

Good luck in finding a course that suits your situation, budget and schedule. Please let me know if I can provide any other information or advice. You can contact me through the MCF&G email: safetycoordinator@indyrange.org

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Whoever you go out with or whatever course you end up taking, you should get back on here and tell us all how it went. I bet others would be interested in hearing about your first shooting experience, your impressions, what you learned and all of that.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    GoColt has good advice and puts on a great course. If money is an issue, my offer still stands and it won't cost you anything. I do vouch for GoColt and I'm relatively certain he'd do the same for me :D

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    VUPDblue for President!!!!

GoColt has good advice and puts on a great course. If money is an issue, my offer still stands and it won't cost you anything. I do vouch for GoColt and I'm relatively certain he'd do the same for me :D

Yep, absolutely!! VUPDblue is a topnotch guy, excellent shooter and humanitarian extraordinaire. He loves children and kitty-cats too. Oh, by the way he is also the vice-president of MCF&G and could probably get me "fired" from my volunteer job as Safety Director and banned from club grounds if I said anything bad about him. :laugh:

Seriously though, he's a very knowledgeable, helpful, long-time shooter and knows what he is talking about, no doubt about it.

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    If it wasn't mentioned yet, I'd strongly recommend taking a class with ACT (they are a board sponsor).

Their classes are more affordable than some of the bigger orgs & they offer some low speed courses that I think would be suitable. I believe they offer a 4 hr/half day course that would be a great start & a 8 hr/1 day class (DP 101) to follow-up if you want more.

They have a very relaxed (yet professional & safe) environment where you can learn & have a bit of fun.

edit- & now having read page 4, I see that ACT has already been suggested & Rhino having made an appearance can give more input/better advice than I can. :)
    But having taken one of their courses recently, I would highly recommend them.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yeah, If you ever wanted to come down to Alexandria I could give you some range time with my wife, her sister and her mother. We all shoot regularly.

Top Bottom