Should I worry about carrying a gun if I don't know it's history?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have an older 32 ACP (1917 Ruby). I have no idea where this gun has been, or if it was stolen at some time in the past, or used in a crime.

My only concern is if I am either CC/OC, & I get checked, and the numbers are run. I have no reason to think it's a gun with a history, but I just don't know.

Any thoughts?

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    What if I don't want the police to have a permanent record that I own and/or possess this gun?

Why wouldn't you? It sounds more like a shelf gun by the age, I mean I have an old shotty I use but were talking an early 1900s handgun.

Do you have a LTCH? If so, I am sure they know you have a gun, or at least suspect you do.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Yes I have an LTCH. Yes they know I have Guns. However, the fewer guns they are aware of, the better.

Even though this is an old gun, I shoot it fairly often & it fires nicely, it is compact so it conceals well.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I completely understand where the op is coming from. I purchased a gun ftf from an ingo member. I believe it is clear. But it seems the only way to know for sure would be to have the cops run it. Then, if something is wrong with it, the risk is that they'd run you up poop creek for it. Can't win. :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why would it matter if you found out now, later or never?

You aren't responsible for unknown history or lack thereof.

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Per the above replies, you have a few options, none are perfect. You can have the numbers run and you'll then have some piece of mind. Or, you can take your chances that someday it will get run involuntarily. If it comes back as hot, a paper trail on how you acquired the gun would be beneficial. Create a receipt and "buy" it for $1.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Have you considered having an FFL run it; gun store, ffl holder, etc? I think there is a website on the net you can run the numbers on.

I think you're doing the right thing, checking ahead of time. I don't know that I would be carrying it unless I was 100% sure I knew it was clean, but thats just me.

Good luck.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Have you considered having an FFL run it; gun store, ffl holder, etc? I think there is a website on the net you can run the numbers on.

I think you're doing the right thing, checking ahead of time. I don't know that I would be carrying it unless I was 100% sure I knew it was clean, but thats just me.

Good luck.

FFL, gun stores etc do not run numbers. if there is a website on the net, we are unaware of it.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I kinda know how you feel. I had a gun stolen out my truck that I bought from a friend who said it was a cop's old backup..............but that doesn't mean it's clean does it? Any way the gun was recovered and since my girlfriends roomate had her vehicle broken into and reported that I had also had a gun stolen. When asked to come down and I.D. the weapon I was alittle worried. When asked if it was indeed my weapon, I could only comfortably state that it..."Looked like it"

Top Bottom