Should I worry about carrying a gun if I don't know it's history?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Any used gun you buy could have been used in a crime, document how and when you got it and carry it, you are not responsible for what someone else did with that gun

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Geez, paranoia seems to be in the air. If you want us to "run the numbers", just call and ask us to stop by. Or come by one of our roll-call sites and do it there at your convenience. We do not keep a history of who owns what gun. If it is not stolen (most likely it is not) you will be on your way. If it is stolen, it will stay there and you will still be on your way, just without the pistol (who wants to own a stolen gun anyway). If it is stolen you will not go to jail. Prosecutors require "knowing/intentional" as prerequisites for the charge of possession of stolen. Without saying that you knew it was stolen, they will not charge it. Indianapolis does have it's flaws in regards to how we handle firearms. Overall, we are a very gun friendly community and that is usually reflected in the local LEO's as well. Don't be afraid of us. What OTHER states do has NO bearing on our state... Oh and BTW, unless you have some reason to believe it is stolen (numbers scratched off, etc) I would not even worry about it. IF it were me, I would not worry about it.

Last edited:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If you want us to "run the numbers", just call and ask us to stop by. Or come by one of our roll-call sites and do it there at your convenience. ...
    ...and what are these "roll call sites" you speak of? Sorry if it's a stupid question. And another one...When you sau "us", are you referring to LEO's?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This brings me to a story of a call a week or so ago. I was called to the property room for a gun turn-in. When someone is served a protective order, they are told to remove from their possession any firearms/ammo they may own. To ME, that would mean find a friend/family that can lock them up in such a manner that you do not have access for the duration of the PO. However, some bring them in to our property room for safe keeping until that can have them back. I felt sorry for the guy. He had a few old shotguns and a 1911. I asked him if he had anyone that would be willing to keep these for him but he replied that he does not want to chance it and is following the Judge's order to the letter. I HATE to place guns into property that could otherwise he secured somewhere else. Our firearm return policy is pretty messed up for those who have committed no crimes with them. I tried to talk him into other options (I really felt bad) but he insisted on the property room. Oh well, wished him good luck and turned them in I did.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What if I don't want the police to have a permanent record that I own and/or possess this gun?

They will not keep a record that you own/possess this gun. They WILL keep the gun if it has hits on it. A good friend of mine on the HCSD ran the #'s for me on a handgun awhile back and his first statement, when I ask him to do so was, "If it comes back hot, then I'll have to keep it"
    I said OK-well it came back "Colder" than it is outside now..Bill.:rockwoot:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'm pretty sure mine was. :D
    Good maybe, but not perfect. Imagine a scenario where you are minding your own business at City Market and a LEO gets an NCIC hit on your gun. "Officer, I bought it off some guy. Didn't know it was hot." May eventually get exonerated, but at what expense?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Good maybe, but not perfect. Imagine a scenario where you are minding your own business at City Market and a LEO gets an NCIC hit on your gun. "Officer, I bought it off some guy. Didn't know it was hot." May eventually get exonerated, but at what expense?

In that scenario, it wouldn't matter.
    You're probably already handcuffed for refusing to draw and manipulate your gun in public when ordered. :cool:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Yes I have an LTCH. Yes they know I have Guns. However, the fewer guns they are aware of, the better.

Even though this is an old gun, I shoot it fairly often & it fires nicely, it is compact so it conceals well.

Well since you posted it on here, several agencies now know you have another firearm in your home. They now have you IP address, MAC address, your HDID and probably your home address by now. Do you even realize how many agencies monitor this forum? The internet is NOT your friend and it DOESN'T keep secrets. If you don't want someone to know something, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! :ugh:

By the way "THEY" are probably now looking into why you're afraid to come forward and have this firearm checked let alone wondering why you are questioning the history of it. (Add purple to the last line only as you see needed. I'm not joking about the first paragraph.)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'll reiterate this one more time and then I'll keep my peace:

DO NOT PRESENT YOURSELF AT ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY AND ASK THEM TO RUN THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THAT GUN!!!!!

You've received some advice here (and I have no doubt that it was given in good faith) stating that if the gun is stolen and you disavow any knowledge of how it came to be that way that you will be sent on your way.

If you're willing to bet your freedom and your future on that, go ahead and put yourself in law enforcement's hands.

But if an old hit comes back on that gun, YOU AND YOU ALONE are the person in possession of it. There is no one else to hang it on.

If the guy who runs that gun is one of those clowns who was at City Market, do you REALLY think you're going to walk out that station a free man?

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'll reiterate this one more time and then I'll keep my peace:

DO NOT PRESENT YOURSELF AT ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY AND ASK THEM TO RUN THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THAT GUN!!!!!

You've received some advice here (and I have no doubt that it was given in good faith) stating that if the gun is stolen and you disavow any knowledge of how it came to be that way that you will be sent on your way.

If you're willing to bet your freedom and your future on that, go ahead and put yourself in law enforcement's hands.

But if an old hit comes back on that gun, YOU AND YOU ALONE are the person in possession of it. There is no one else to hang it on.

If the guy who runs that gun is one of those clowns who was at City Market, do you REALLY think you're going to walk out that station a free man?

They "hang it on" someone huh? Even if it was before my birth you said... Odd didn't realize the officers made that choice... I'm sure. The crime being commuted prior to my existence would make a good case... The DA would love to hang that on someone... And then the jury would just say "hey someone had better pay for it"... If it were murder I think IMPOSSIBLE meets reasonable doubt criteria, anything else would probably be beyond the SoL based on my age...

I guess you make a lot of sense though... :n00b:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    It's not the theft they get you for guys, it's the possession of stolen property. Doesn't matter if that gun was stolen twenty years before you were born; you are now in possession of it, and it is a stolen gun.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    It's not the theft they get you for guys, it's the possession of stolen property. Doesn't matter if that gun was stolen twenty years before you were born; you are now in possession of it, and it is a stolen gun.

It's not a crime to unwittingly poses stolen property...

Top Bottom