Should I worry about carrying a gun if I don't know it's history?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    It's not a crime to unwittingly poses stolen property...

...And hopefully your attorney that you are paying for out of your pocket can convince the jury that you did not have any knowledge that it was stolen.

You might be acquitted, but you are still out a decent chunk of cash for legal representation.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Can I go to my local PD & tell them I am considering buying a gun & ask them to run the numbers?

They probably will.

Dont go over paranoid. They will run the numbers eventually, and if they were coming for the guns (not happening, at least not over my dead body) they would be looking high and low at anyone who went through even the most basic hoop of obtaining a LTCH. You are already SOL if you have NFA items.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    ...And hopefully your attorney that you are paying for out of your pocket can convince the jury that you did not have any knowledge that it was stolen.

I'm sure you've heard the term "innocent until proven guilty"?

YOU don't have to prove you're innocent. The STATE has to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt, nonetheless) that you are guilty. If they don't have evidence to show that you KNEW it was stolen then they have no case.

That said, I wouldn't even think about asking the numbers be run. Why take the chance on causing any amount of trouble for yourself, even if no more than the loss of a pistol (& the accompanying money) you had no idea was stolen.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

You might be acquitted, but you are still out a decent chunk of cash for legal representation.

:runaway:

First it was that you were going to be arrested, now it is that a jurry wont believe you didn't know a gun was stolen.... when will the madness end?

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have bought 3 handguns from private individuals that I did not know, over the last 20-30 years. Two of them I took to the Hendricks County Sheriff's Dept and had them run the S/N. They told me if they were stolen, they would keep the gun. I said that was ok. Both were clean. The other one, I talked to an Indpls. police officer and asked him to run the S/N. He did and it was clean. Neither indicated I would be in trouble if the gun was stolen. They just said I would not get the gun back.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    It was given to me as a gift. I don't know how or where he got it.
    ^^^^Everyone is missing an important part here in this argument.

Throw said friend under the bus. This is no different then when a gun you sell later gets used in a crime, just goes in reverse

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm sorry, but half of you guys are just plain paranoid. I do not want to own a stolen gun anymore than I want to drive a stolen car, or buy a stolen VCR. If I take the initiative to make sure a gun I was given is not stolen, there is not a jury around that is going to convict me for turning in a stolen gun, when I was not asked to.

However, if I am stopped & checked, or involved in a self defense shooting, & the gun I am carrying/used comes up stolen, at that point, there's going to have to be some 'serious lawyering' going on.

As far as "The Man" comming to get my weapons, there's going to have to be some very serious changes to our federal laws happen before that happens;
    1. The Gov't makes a mandatory pistol registration database.
    2. They outlaw handguns nationwide.
    3. They have a mandatory gun turning in party.
    4. They give us XX days to comply.
    5. The new Homeland Security Public Safety Division Starts busting down doors...

Do you REALLY think that is just around the corner? If that happens, I'm sure 70% of the people in this country are going to report a home invasion while they weren't home, and all their guns got stolen.

When that happens, I'm just going to have to move out of the country, because it's too far gone.

Oh, wait a minute, now that I've said that publicaly, they are probably getting ready to revoke my passport...or at least flag it...I better go NOW..oops, I did it again...too late, they're here.

:laugh:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'd love to post some pictures of it, but apparently I don't have a high enough post count to get permission to post pictures???

The little box at the bottom says I permission for everything except posting attachments.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'd love to post some pictures of it, but apparently I don't have a high enough post count to get permission to post pictures???

The little box at the bottom says I permission for everything except posting attachments.

INGO has the attachment uploader disabled. You have to upload them to a site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and post the

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'm sorry, but half of you guys are just plain paranoid. I do not want to own a stolen gun anymore than I want to drive a stolen car, or buy a stolen VCR. If I take the initiative to make sure a gun I was given is not stolen, there is not a jury around that is going to convict me for turning in a stolen gun, when I was not asked to.

And how much lighter will your bank account be when they cut you loose? You think the arresting officer is going to reimburse you for your legal bills?

Top Bottom