Should Students be Allowed to Have Their Phones in School?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If they are old enough to get shot at and change gender surely they can handle cellular phones

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw a story about another school doing something similar, but in that case, they gave the students a pouch with a "security lock" on it that can only be opened with a magnetic device (kind of like some stores put on liquor bottles). They would break out the device at the end of the school day and kids could get their phones out and turn in the pouch.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I saw a story about another school doing something similar, but in that case, they gave the students a pouch with a "security lock" on it that can only be opened with a magnetic device (kind of like some stores put on liquor bottles). They would break out the device at the end of the school day and kids could get their phones out and turn in the pouch.
    Just saw that exact news story today.
    I think it's a great idea, and will probably be challenged in court...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    View attachment 294389

Excuse the language , but WTAF is a "Success Teacher"??? I thought that was shop class and home ec when i was in school!!!
    Rewording phrases is the liberals fortay.
    When global cooling didn't work they changed it to global warming, and then climate change.
    Btw- I thought ALL teachers were supposed to teach "success".
    If not, what the hell are they teaching, besides gender affirmation?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Let them take the phones to school. Require them to keep them locked up in their locker. They can get on them in between classes and at lunch. Pretty simple
    I don't know how much time they get between classes these days. When I was in middle and high school it was only 5 minutes from point A to point B.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have no problem with kids having them in their backpacks. Ringer off and not to be accessed while in class. Penalty if they use in class.

My only thoughts as to why are an active disturbance at the school (didn't wanna say active shooter as there can be other reasons) my child can call me direct or call 911 if need be

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it makes one question the teachers and administration.

I DO NOT want my kids to have to lose communication capability, because staff cannot adequately discipline.

My child or grandchild touches their phone in class, they are...
    - verbally warned the first time
    - sent to the office for written warning, the second time
    - suspended the third offense

Seems pretty simple. School is about learning. Please teach my children!

:nono:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I have no problem with kids having them in their backpacks. Ringer off and not to be accessed while in class. Penalty if they use in class.

My only thoughts as to why are an active disturbance at the school (didn't wanna say active shooter as there can be other reasons) my child can call me direct or call 911 if need be
    Yep id say keep them on silent. And if they use in class then they lose the privilege. Mom and dad can pick up the phone from principal.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Eh.

I try to sub teach at my kids' schools twice a week or so.

A lot of work is done on iPads. Sometimes the iPads don't work. If that's that case, I have the student use his phone.

Yes, there are kids who will try to take advantage of having a phone. If it's an issue, I take it.

Other teachers have phone caddies where the student puts the phone before class, but it's readily accessed if needed.

I see no point in locking the phones away prior to an offense. That's parallel to banning guns from people because they might commit a crime.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Eh.

I try to sub teach at my kids' schools twice a week or so.

A lot of work is done on iPads. Sometimes the iPads don't work. If that's that case, I have the student use his phone.

Yes, there are kids who will try to take advantage of having a phone. If it's an issue, I take it.

Other teachers have phone caddies where the student puts the phone before class, but it's readily accessed if needed.

I see no point in locking the phones away prior to an offense. That's parallel to banning guns from people because they might commit a crime.
    Since when is phones and communications a constitutional right?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not sure why we're so hung up on kids having phones in school. How many decades did we go through where kids went to school and all we had was land lines?

If used effectively, cellular communication is an excellent way to parent your kids. It's not necessary to be completely out of touch with your kids these days.

The use of the phone is an important part of the upbringing of the kids also. It's the job of the parent and the teacher to train the youth on proper usage.

:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I could argue the opposite.

You are certainly entitled to that thought. While it's not my opinion, I don't disagree with your parenting. I have seen very successful sharp parents that insist that their kids will have no phone until 18. :yesway:

Let's not fool with my kids communication with me, because you feel differerently about your's though, OK?

:)

Top Bottom