Should Students be Allowed to Have Their Phones in School?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The high school I graduated from had a desiganted outside smoking area. Teachers and students would gather between periods or during lunch, inhale their cancer sticks and then get back to class. The world kept turning.
    The teachers were able to smoke inside in the teachers lounge. They didn't have to stand outside in the rain and snow. But then again I remember shopping carts with built in ashtrays, along with them built into the armrests at movie theaters. And ashtrays at the Drs office. Last one of those I seen was late 80s early 90s.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The high school I graduated from had a desiganted outside smoking area. Teachers and students would gather between periods or during lunch, inhale their cancer sticks and then get back to class. The world kept turning.

The school I attended had a courtyard in the center of the school. Kids were constantly growing pot in there.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The school I attended had a courtyard in the center of the school. Kids were constantly growing pot in there.
    Constantly growing pot? Really? The courtyard at the schools I've known have always been mown, not quite sure how you could grow pot under those conditions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The teachers were able to smoke inside in the teachers lounge. They didn't have to stand outside in the rain and snow. But then again I remember shopping carts with built in ashtrays, along with them built into the armrests at movie theaters. And ashtrays at the Drs office. Last one of those I seen was late 80s early 90s.
    It really sounds crazy to think about what once was. My earliest memories of a grocery store involved a lady shopping while smoking a cigarette. She flipped her ashes on the floor. Yuk! A McDondalds now stands where that grocery store used to be at tenth and Bosart. Smoking at the office, smoking on a plane, etc. and yet the world didn't end. I think the phone at school should probably be treated like cigarettes back then, use when appropriate and allowed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It really sounds crazy to think about what once was. My earliest memories of a grocery store involved a lady shopping while smoking a cigarette. She flipped her ashes on the floor. Yuk! A McDondalds now stands where that grocery store used to be at tenth and Bosart. Smoking at the office, smoking on a plane, etc. and yet the world didn't end. I think the phone at school should probably be treated like cigarettes back then, use when appropriate and allowed.
    The grocery store with the ashtrays built into the carts is still there, this was also when they didn't just have baggers if you're lucky. They had carryouts, groceries would get bagged put on separate cart, taken outside and loaded into your car. Strake's at 45th and cline. I think they still have carryouts, but not sure.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Want teachers to take away a students phone If misused?

I think it is a good idea to allow it but impossible to manage it.

Change cellphone to anything else, same result. Cigarettes, vape, etc. It's not the cellphone that was the problem here.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Helicopter parents absolutely freaking out over their spawn potentially being out of contact for five minutes. :rolleyes:

Oh well. It's utterly unenforceable, you'd have to stop class every five minutes to pry one out of a kid's hand.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Helicopter parents absolutely freaking out over their spawn potentially being out of contact for five minutes. :rolleyes:

Oh well. It's utterly unenforceable, you'd have to stop class every five minutes to pry one out of a kid's hand.
    Was gum chewing utterly unenforceable? It wasn't when I was in school. Did kids do it and get away with it? Sometimes, other times parents were called and after school detention was had. Usually involving a putty knife and the bottom of desks.

At my daughter's school first time unallowed phone use is generally a warning, it increases from there. From what I've heard, there isn't too much of it.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Not a supporter of public schools so not really concerned what they have for policies. If parents have issues, take it up with the board or better yet put your child’s education at the very top of your life priority list and make the necessary changes to homeschool.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sometimes. My ex-wife did it after the military while she was finishing school to be a psych nurse (insert jokes here). I think most of them are sort of interning to be a teacher later, but some were retirees just wanting a p/t gig to stay active.
    My mom did it for the same reason. But got burnt out I guess you could say. Student she had she had to sit there and tell her don't do your nails do your school work, repeatedly. When you sit in the front row in a skirt quit flashing the teacher your panties (at the request of several teachers). Among other things. She said the girl was smart enough to do work, just didn't care. Her plan was to get knocked up and have the baby daddy take care of her. And that was in her own words. And for those wondering, very majority white rural area.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Since when is phones and communications a constitutional right?
    When you show kids that you trust them, the majority act trustworthy.

This has nothing to do with Constitutional rights. Rights are not granted by the Constitution; rather, the Bill of Rights attempts to list the rights already recognized as inherent.

Taking phones is preemptively punishing the kids for sins not yet transgressed.

I'd argue that everyone has the right to a clean slate, free to earn trust or not.

Further, these kids are supposed to be learning how to be functioning adults. That means they have to learn to govern their own actions. Phones are part of that reality.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I don't know how much time they get between classes these days. When I was in middle and high school it was only 5 minutes from point A to point B.

Four minutes at the one I sub for. Used to be 5, but they added in homeroom and so need to pull the time from that from somewhere.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I think it makes one question the teachers and administration.

I DO NOT want my kids to have to lose communication capability, because staff cannot adequately discipline.

My child or grandchild touches their phone in class, they are...
    - verbally warned the first time
    - sent to the office for written warning, the second time
    - suspended the third offense

Seems pretty simple. School is about learning. Please teach my children!

:nono:
    This was the policy where I was an aide for several years. I have posted before about running the In School Suspension class. Had a lot of students for this.
    The problem is teachers and admin spends a huge amount of time over cell phone issues. Try taking a phone away from a student in a room full of their friends, girls or boys. You have wasted time, have arguments, and pandemonium. All which have happened to me.
    Teachers who can't discipline? Again what happens when the student calls you a foul name and refuses to comply? Are you going to beat them? Wrestle the phone away? I have called the Resource Officer to the classroom over issues similar to this. They would rather be suspended, they can go home and play video games.Which is not the goal of education.
    This disrupts the day for all the students. Especially for those who are focused, ready to learn who have a future planned.

In my room they were already in trouble for something, next stop was out the door. The Principal was very good with them and did everything possible not to send them out of the school.

Digital addiction is real. I am amazed at how deeply some are tied to their phones. I had a strict no phone policy in my room. It was turned off and put in a basket on my desk. Some days that was a fight in it itself. Had more than one turn in a phone playing music and try to wear ear buds at their desk. Have had them turn in phones only to find another in their pocket later.

My opinion is NO PHONES IN SCHOOL. in an emergency there are plenty of ways to call the office or admin. They can survive for a few hours without them.

Don

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you show kids that you trust them, the majority act trustworthy.

This has nothing to do with Constitutional rights. Rights are not granted by the Constitution; rather, the Bill of Rights attempts to list the rights already recognized as inherent.

Taking phones is preemptively punishing the kids for sins not yet transgressed.

I'd argue that everyone has the right to a clean slate, free to earn trust or not.

Further, these kids are supposed to be learning how to be functioning adults. That means they have to learn to govern their own actions. Phones are part of that reality.
    I can appreciate that idea, but this policy didn’t come from nowhere.

Odds are they already tried the trust thing. But being middle schoolers with handheld dopamine dispensers, they failed that test. Time for a new rule.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Is it acceptable to be watching youtube, or tiktok or texting your friends about non-work related subjects while you're in a meeting? Because that's what the kids are doing, and that's the complaint that teachers have against them being allowed.

They're learning impulse control.

I say, "Mr. Smith, that's one. If I see your phone out again, then I take it."

Mr. Smith then learns to resist that impulse.

Top Bottom