• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I'd like to have a motorcycle again. Just can't find anything in my price range....

Not sure what you're price range is or what you're looking for, but you can get a used Honda VTX in the 2500-4000 range... I've seen many people getting well over 60-80k miles out of them with nothing more than regular maintenance... Even seen a few with over 100k

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Not sure what you're price range is or what you're looking for, but you can get a used Honda VTX in the 2500-4000 range... I've seen many people getting well over 60-80k miles out of them with nothing more than regular maintenance... Even seen a few with over 100k

Yeah, I've been out of the street legal motorcycle game for about eight years (until I bought my DR350 late last year) and am surprised at some of the low prices out there. I know the same bikes I was interested in when I had a garage full of them are now about ten years old, so that is part of it. Still, there are some good deals out there. I saw a 2001 Triumph Trophy a few months ago for $1200 that I had a hard time passing up. Not quite my cup of tea, but $1200 for a good long range motorcycle is a steal.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I saw a 2001 Triumph Trophy a few months ago for $1200 that I had a hard time passing up. Not quite my cup of tea, but $1200 for a good long range motorcycle is a steal.

That would have been a hard one to pass up! There's definitely deals out there if you're patient and look around

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    Bad day Friday.. :(

Lady not paying attention at a stop sign BACKED OVER my bike!! We were both waiting to turn left while a school bus turned onto the road we were on. Apparently she decided the bus needed more room, and threw her little SUV in reverse and hit the gas. I didn't even have time to honk my horn :xmad:

Luckily her plastic bumper rode up over the front tire, so I didn't get knocked over or anything, no injuries, and of course the standard 'I didn't see you' like that made this accident my fault. Also luckily the bus driver was able to get her attention, because she didn't even notice she hit me! Then she made like she was just going to leave, because she 'didn't see anything wrong with my bike'. I had to show her the twisted forks and multiple bolts sheared completely off to get her to shut up and wait for the police. Again, luckily small town, marshall was there before I got off the phone with 911.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with someone else's insurance to get my claim processed quickly? Especially when you do all your own repairs? I don't want to have to sit out the rest of the riding season :crying: and she has one of those cheap cut rate companies (Mendota)

I've already pulled all the receipts I have for the work we've done, sourced some NOS parts and found completed eBay listings, Craigslist ads, NADA and BB values for similar bikes in case they try to lowball the value. Anything else I can do besides call them every day? Lol I haven't had to deal with anything like this since I was 16 and got hit by a drunk driver, and his insurance company got that claim settled quick.

Thought I left myself plenty of room, apparently not! She tried saying I was riding her bumper... (I didn't move my bike afterwards)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Oh no! Also glad you're OK. Your best bet might be to call her insurance company and ask them what they want as far as documentation. I had a similar experience a few years ago where someone backed out of a parking spot right in front of me without looking: instinctively tried to avoid, went down, luckily the bike wedged under his car inspiring him to stop since I landed directly behind him. I broke my arm (still picked the bike up tho) and a few scrapes but I was well enough to snap a few pics before anything moved. We swapped info and he zipped off while I called it in, made for a good time in my favor at least.

Anyway, point I'm getting to the long way is I also do my own work, they had me take it to a nearby shop to get an estimate which they wrote a check for. (for all the good it did since it was a 40 year old bike and most of the parts aren't available except as salvage off another bike).

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Also a bad day for me yesterday. Was out riding the Goldwing with wife and we suddenly started hearing a whump-whump-whump. Pulled over and this is what the rear tire looks like:

20160911_175909[1].jpg

It's parked in my brother-in-laws garage near Zionsville.

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    Oh no! Also glad you're OK. Your best bet might be to call her insurance company and ask them what they want as far as documentation. I had a similar experience a few years ago where someone backed out of a parking spot right in front of me without looking: instinctively tried to avoid, went down, luckily the bike wedged under his car inspiring him to stop since I landed directly behind him. I broke my arm (still picked the bike up tho) and a few scrapes but I was well enough to snap a few pics before anything moved. We swapped info and he zipped off while I called it in, made for a good time in my favor at least.

Anyway, point I'm getting to the long way is I also do my own work, they had me take it to a nearby shop to get an estimate which they wrote a check for. (for all the good it did since it was a 40 year old bike and most of the parts aren't available except as salvage off another bike).

Man, that sucks! I'm glad dude didn't back over you though! I feel very blessed that I didn't get knocked off my bike, seems like she had no intention of stopping.

I'm a little worried about this insurance company, the lady that took my claim said they'd send an adjuster to my house, nothing about taking it to a shop. I told her that's probably not going to be acceptable, unless I can talk the guy into having them pay for replacing the entire front end. We need to be able to disassemble it to get to everything, and it needs to go to a mechanic to determine what is bent or broken that isn't obvious or we don't have tools to check. I doubt the adjuster is going to be a mechanic lol. I haven't heard back from them yet.. I want to start getting her fixed! We actually had a riding vacation planned week after next. Hopefully they don't drag their feet, it's not like this is going to be a huge claim. I told them that I want a rental bike, lol we'll see how that goes over :-P

Luckily for us XJ owners, we have a guy with a store that sells basically everything one would need to build an entire new XJ from scratch, and he's sending me pricing for everything. Found most of my receipts, too. I never wanted to have to add those up! I was happy being blissfully ignorant of how much money we've spent on my bike. Still quite a bit less than what it would cost to buy one in the same condition as mine, so that helps ease the sting a bit :-)

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    Also a bad day for me yesterday. Was out riding the Goldwing with wife and we suddenly started hearing a whump-whump-whump. Pulled over and this is what the rear tire looks like:

View attachment 50013

Good luck if you do! That would probably be a ridiculous tow bill otherwise huh? If you were closer we'd come get you with our trailer!

Luckily I was only about 4 miles from home when she hit me, so we didn't have to have my bike towed. The old man came to the rescue with the truck and trailer. My front tire is toast as well, holding air but the belt is busted. Doesn't look as bad as yours though! Ouch

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area

New ride, 2016 Victory Cross Country. So far just Put a set of Ragin Cajun Blaster XL slip on, removed the rubber strip from intake, disconnected o2's, lowered 1 inch, passenger quick detach backrest, 10 inch Windvest, and fairing air deflectors.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Do you guys remember the Triumph Trident. 3 cylinder 750? Dad has a really low mile one. Next time I'm out there I'll get pictures. Its a super nice bike to ride. His is a 1975, they only made the Trident in 74 and 75 I believe.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

New ride, 2016 Victory Cross Country. So far just Put a set of Ragin Cajun Blaster XL slip on, removed the rubber strip from intake, disconnected o2's, lowered 1 inch, passenger quick detach backrest, 10 inch Windvest, and fairing air deflectors.

Nice! Where are you planning to take her to stretch out?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

View attachment 50013

Holy crap, that's scary. More info on this would be great, as Printcraft mentioned.

Good luck if you do! That would probably be a ridiculous tow bill otherwise huh? If you were closer we'd come get you with our trailer!...

I pay +/- 5 bucks a year to State Farm added to my annual motorcycle coverage for Emergency Road Service.
    I have never used the coverage, but I'm thinking it's for situations like this?

Top Bottom