• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I probably shouldn't be starting a new thread about this dead horse, but I am really curious to garner some other rational people's thoughts about this pistol. Here's my (probably over-thought) dilemma.

I really want a 1911 since I don't have one, it's 2011, and I want a nice range/open carry gun. The problem is, I don't want to spend much more than $400 on a new pistol. This leaves me with the typical selection of ATI, RIA, or, if I were really lucky, a used Springfield GI. As we all know, these babies aren't exactly laden with features.

Enter the SP2022. For $350, I can't seem to find a better value out there. I guess my biggest reason for wanting a bigger pistol (currently only have a Kel-Tec PF-9) is that I want to join the ranks of the OCers when opportunity exists, and I would love to maybe get into some steel competitions. Those look like tons o' fun.

All that being said, should I get the Sig now and save up for a nicer 1911 down the road, or should I cave in to the anniversary hubbub and snag a 1911. Secondly, if I do go with the Sig, would the Siglite sights be worth the extra $50 over the standard sights? My gut says yes, but I have no experience with night sights to know what I'm missing. Perhaps there is a con or two with these that I don't know about? Thanks all in advance!

:ingo: FTW! :thumbsup:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    i have a 2022 in .40 cal that is top notch.

It's never hiccuped and shoots a lot straighter than I can.

It never comes out of the safe much anymore, but I'd trust my life to it.

I like everything about it except for breaking it down to clean. Than damn pin you have to push out is a pain in the cock.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Love mine
    5248312613_9ea40a76b0_b.jpg

5248929318_33d386b3b7_b.jpg

Open Carry Holster I use[/URL

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yea the Sig night sights are worth the extra dough IMHO.

Anyway I like the 2022 just fine, I still prefer my 226 but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 2022 by any means.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Great gun for the money. I've put at least a thousand rounds thru mine. Absolutely no problems except operator error. I bumped the mag release a couple of times while shooting. But, that was my bad not the gun. Other than that it's awesome. The only drawback I can say is, mine is the model with the proprietary SIG rail and my tac light won't fit it. I think the newer 2022's have a standard rail now. You won't be disappointed.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Yea the Sig night sights are worth the extra dough IMHO.

I was talking to a friend here at work and he mentioned to maybe get a rail mounted laser as opposed to the night sights. This seems like a solid idea to me, especially since my wife would rather hear the lower dollar number as a foot-in-the-door price. Plus, accessorizing down the road is always a good time. Any downsides to this plan?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I was talking to a friend here at work and he mentioned to maybe get a rail mounted laser as opposed to the night sights. This seems like a solid idea to me, especially since my wife would rather hear the lower dollar number as a foot-in-the-door price. Plus, accessorizing down the road is always a good time. Any downsides to this plan?

Yes, my personal opinion is that a lazer will make you lazy and can make a good shooter bad and a bad shooter worse. Work the irons first then if it is determined you need an aid you can explore other options.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

Rail mounted laser is a good idea, but I'd still get the night sights if it were me.

Yes, my personal opinion is that a lazer will make you lazy and can make a good shooter bad and a bad shooter worse. Work the irons first then if it is determined you need an aid you can explore other options.

I disagree, in my experience lasers actually makes a poor shooter a better shooter, simply because they show exactly what the shooter is doing wrong, be it flinching, pulling, pushing, etc

And watching that dot dance around on a target makes the shooter really steady their hands, the trick is to always look down the iron sights & at the laser's dot together, since they should be co-witnessed.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Rail mounted laser is a good idea, but I'd still get the night sights if it were me.

I disagree, in my experience lasers actually makes a poor shooter a better shooter, simply because they show exactly what the shooter is doing wrong, be it flinching, pulling, pushing, etc

And watching that dot dance around on a target makes the shooter really steady their hands, the trick is to always look down the iron sights & at the laser's dot together, since they should be co-witnessed.
    Dot takes the focus off irons, and if the battery goes dead or otherwise malfunctions you have a shooter that can no longer shoot. Good shooter will go back to irons but is not practiced and a bad shooter or ill trained will panic.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I definitely see where both of you guys are coming from, but since, as I said before, I would like to do some competitions with this gun, I don't really see either way as being a pro or con. This is definitely a gun that would see some heavy round counts, so I am not going to be too worried about familiarity. I just thought the laser would be nice so my wife could use this in a SHTF situation or for me to use in a dark-ish home defense situation when my shotgun was not readily available.

I do like hearing both sides of the coin though, so thanks to both of you for that! :cheers:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Dot takes the focus off irons, and if the battery goes dead or otherwise malfunctions you have a shooter that can no longer shoot. Good shooter will go back to irons but is not practiced and a bad shooter or ill trained will panic.

??? the laser dot should always be co-witnessed with the iron sights, so that the shooter is looking down his iron sights w/the dot sitting right on top of them.

For the most part, shooting w/a laser is really no different than just using the irons, the dot just helps line the iron sights up quicker & more accurately, but there is an additional bonus to using lasers & that is that the shooter can shoot accurately from awkward positions where lining up the sights is not possible, say like from behind a sofa or around a corner without exposing the shooter to incoming fire.

I really like lasers, I even have them on my *gasp!* Colt Combat Commander, blasphemy I know LOL, but seriously in my experience they are a great tool, well worth the investment IMHO.

I definitely see where both of you guys are coming from, but since, as I said before, I would like to do some competitions with this gun, I don't really see either way as being a pro or con. This is definitely a gun that would see some heavy round counts, so I am not going to be too worried about familiarity. I just thought the laser would be nice so my wife could use this in a SHTF situation or for me to use in a dark-ish home defense situation when my shotgun was not readily available.

I do like hearing both sides of the coin though, so thanks to both of you for that! :cheers:

Well if you decide that you don't like that rail mounted laser you could always just sell it to me, if it's a good one that is ...

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Well if you decide that you don't like that rail mounted laser you could always just sell it to me, if it's a good one that is ...

Since you have some experience on the matter, what brands should I look for?

aren't sig lite sights standard on pros? they were on mine.

Yeah, I saw that documented somewhere on the internet as well. That must have been a lie, since I have seen both versions for sale.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

Yeah, I saw that documented somewhere on the internet as well. That must have been a lie, since I have seen both versions for sale.
    Sign makes a really nice rail mount laser at a decent price if you shop around. Said I didn't like em didn't say I didn't know how to use em. Name that movie

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Sign makes a really nice rail mount laser at a decent price if you shop around. Said I didn't like em didn't say I didn't know how to use em. Name that movie

Sorry, I went dumb when I read your other post the first time. My brain interpreted that as being a factory option sort of thing. :ugh:

I'll do some research on that one for sure.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    ??? the laser dot should always be co-witnessed with the iron sights, so that the shooter is looking down his iron sights w/the dot sitting right on top of them.

For the most part, shooting w/a laser is really no different than just using the irons, the dot just helps line the iron sights up quicker & more accurately, but there is an additional bonus to using lasers & that is that the shooter can shoot accurately from awkward positions where lining up the sights is not possible, say like from behind a sofa or around a corner without exposing the shooter to incoming fire..
    Just because you do it right doesn't mean someone else will especially if they have no training. Thats why I said in a malfunction type situation a good shooter that has trained properly will go back to irons, a ill trained or untrained shooter will panic if they haven't been cowitnessing or using irons at all.:twocents:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

Well my favorite's are Crimson Trace Laser Grips, mostly because they don't require special holsters, but that is because they are not rail mounted, as far as rail mounted are concerned Surefire X400 & Streamlight's TLR-2's are very nice tac-light/laser sight combos.

Just because you do it right doesn't mean someone else will especially if they have no training. Thats why I said in a malfunction type situation a good shooter that has trained properly will go back to irons, a ill trained or untrained shooter will panic if they haven't been cowitnessing or using irons at all.:twocents:

Oh ok gotcha, I wasn't quite following your argument at first, thanks for the clarification :D

Top Bottom