• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The evidence of this molester is ON TAPE. Was George Zimmermans encounter?

You are absolutely right. And he will burn for it if the report is correct.

The issue here is not now the law should handle this. The issue is how some unrelated person, neither judge, jury, victim, or police should handle this.

In other words, how a stranger should act based on the information he has and the righteous indignation and fear in his heart drives him to want to act out. And I do mean "act out".

Putting up a sign is a showy thing to do. You do it partly to say something to the target, but also to say something to the audience as a whole (be it the ones who live on your street or your internet buddies).

Then to use that to discuss threats....

Is that how we behave in a civilization? Guess, act out, thump chests, make threats, etc?

I am reminded of a couple of stories. One in which a couple of guys found out a sex offender lived in their neighborhood. They tracked him down to the local park and asked if he was "Jerry". The guy answered "Jerry? Yes." And then they beat the tar out of him.

It would have been assault no matter what, but it was especially bad because they had the wrong guy. They beat the tar out of an autistic guy living at the same group home as the sex offender. He answered every question in life by repeating it and saying "Yes" after because he suffered from ecolalia.

So two yahoos, filled with the indignation of the righteous, and shielded (they expected) by society's innate hatred and fear of sex offenders, they beat the **** out of a mentally handicapped guy who had no idea who they were or why they were stomping him into broken bones.

That kind of "I gotta act because he is...." is scary business and EXACTLY why we have the rule of law. Makes you wonder how many people plan to go out in the next STFU. Run out, make a quick call on who is a looter and then end up shooting a neighbor?

The funny thing is that all you have to do is be safe, make your kids safe, and act within the law. There is no reason to go further, especially in this case - if the report is correct enough to get wound up over, it is correct enough to know that the prosecutor is going to go for as much penalty as possible.

If there is anything you want to do to help -

Keep an eye on the guy.
    Keep both eyes on your kids.
    Teach your kids how to stay safe.
    Express your concerns with the prosecutor and tell him that while you are not directly involved, you are a voter, a neighbor and a father.

Guys, there is fun in anger, hate and fear. Real fun. But it is not the best, smartest, or even tactically smartest parts of us.

People who wind up on that are dangerous to gun owners as a whole and are someone that you need to decide should be on your self protection group/team.

Calm, deliberate, careful decision making with dedicated follow through will do more to solve a situation than flashy outbursts will.

And success is the goal: kids safe & bad guy in jail.

Techres

P.S. Oh, the second story? Yeah, it's about some men in uniform who out of fear, self righteousness and a bit of STFU killed some people on a bridge. They acted out of a bad place and did a real bad thing. And when the situation was over, what remained? The law. And now they are facing it. Don't go there, even if you think it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Presumption of innocence is a legal concept that the courts abide by. We are free to choose our beliefs about individuals and their guilt or innocence as we want.

You are correct, I can't argue with that. I always thought it was something civilized people took to heart as well, and not rush to quickly judge others, lest they be quickly judged themselves.

jgreiner said:
    The evidence of this molester is ON TAPE. Was George Zimmermans encounter?

I'm not sure, I'm not on the jury or privy to the prosecution's evidence. But R. Kelly's case had videotape evidence, and he was found innocent. Does the presence of any videotape demand 100% conviction?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does anyone realize how light these sentences served are in a lot of cases? Also if they were in an 18 year old 17 year old girl situation you would know it by the charges listed.

There wouldn't be any charges filed with 18 year old with 17 year old consentual sex. Its not illegal in Indiana for an 18 year old to have sex with a 17 or 16 year old unless the 18 year old is in a position of authority (teacher, coach, etc). In an ongoing relationship, there can be a 4 year difference in the ages (Romeo and Juliet Defense).

An actual "Child Molesting" charge requires the victim to be under 14. It actually gets fairly complicated as to what charges are filed based on the age of the victim and the age of the suspect. Child Molest, Sexual Misconduct With a Minor, etc. All can be found here:

Indiana Code 35-42-4

This actually makes it easier to understand:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HF5IEI&usg=AFQjCNEfWOaiwoYUuG4ukZ89ZsRqtNElVg

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    There wouldn't be any charges filed with 18 year old with 17 year old consentual sex. Its not illegal in Indiana for an 18 year old to have sex with a 17 or 16 year old unless the 18 year old is in a position of authority (teacher, coach, etc). In an ongoing relationship, there can be a 4 year difference in the ages (Romeo and Juliet Defense).

An actual "Child Molesting" charge requires the victim to be under 14. It actually gets fairly complicated as to what charges are filed based on the age of the victim and the age of the suspect. Child Molest, Sexual Misconduct With a Minor, etc. All can be found here:

Indiana Code 35-42-4

This actually makes it easier to understand:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HF5IEI&usg=AFQjCNEfWOaiwoYUuG4ukZ89ZsRqtNElVg

That's some good info. A lot of people don't know that there is no such charge as "statutory rape" in Indiana, although I could see how you would think otherwise if you listen to country music. Also, the age of consent is 16 years old.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I believe this was the best post in the whole thread.:yesway:

You are absolutely right. And he will burn for it if the report is correct.

The issue here is not now the law should handle this. The issue is how some unrelated person, neither judge, jury, victim, or police should handle this.

In other words, how a stranger should act based on the information he has and the righteous indignation and fear in his heart drives him to want to act out. And I do mean "act out".

Putting up a sign is a showy thing to do. You do it partly to say something to the target, but also to say something to the audience as a whole (be it the ones who live on your street or your internet buddies).

Then to use that to discuss threats....

Is that how we behave in a civilization? Guess, act out, thump chests, make threats, etc?

I am reminded of a couple of stories. One in which a couple of guys found out a sex offender lived in their neighborhood. They tracked him down to the local park and asked if he was "Jerry". The guy answered "Jerry? Yes." And then they beat the tar out of him.

It would have been assault no matter what, but it was especially bad because they had the wrong guy. They beat the tar out of an autistic guy living at the same group home as the sex offender. He answered every question in life by repeating it and saying "Yes" after because he suffered from ecolalia.

So two yahoos, filled with the indignation of the righteous, and shielded (they expected) by society's innate hatred and fear of sex offenders, they beat the **** out of a mentally handicapped guy who had no idea who they were or why they were stomping him into broken bones.

That kind of "I gotta act because he is...." is scary business and EXACTLY why we have the rule of law. Makes you wonder how many people plan to go out in the next STFU. Run out, make a quick call on who is a looter and then end up shooting a neighbor?

The funny thing is that all you have to do is be safe, make your kids safe, and act within the law. There is no reason to go further, especially in this case - if the report is correct enough to get wound up over, it is correct enough to know that the prosecutor is going to go for as much penalty as possible.

If there is anything you want to do to help -

Keep an eye on the guy.
    Keep both eyes on your kids.
    Teach your kids how to stay safe.
    Express your concerns with the prosecutor and tell him that while you are not directly involved, you are a voter, a neighbor and a father.

Guys, there is fun in anger, hate and fear. Real fun. But it is not the best, smartest, or even tactically smartest parts of us.

People who wind up on that are dangerous to gun owners as a whole and are someone that you need to decide should be on your self protection group/team.

Calm, deliberate, careful decision making with dedicated follow through will do more to solve a situation than flashy outbursts will.

And success is the goal: kids safe & bad guy in jail.

Techres

P.S. Oh, the second story? Yeah, it's about some men in uniform who out of fear, self righteousness and a bit of STFU killed some people on a bridge. They acted out of a bad place and did a real bad thing. And when the situation was over, what remained? The law. And now they are facing it. Don't go there, even if you think it is the right thing to do.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I once thought it would be cool to get a sign made up that said "this house protected by 2nd amendment security co., but why would i want thieves knowing what i have?

My wife and i work, advertising that you have weapons inside seems foolish.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Indiana Code 35-42-4

While I understand the code, I know someone that got to enjoy county jail time our senior year for being 18 and having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend. She was emancipated, paying all her own bills, working a full time job, and going to school (making As and Bs). Parents still got a sexual misconduct with a minor charge. This was before the "Romeo and Juliet" law though.

We graduated when he was 19, she was 17. Not long after, they got married and had some kids. Last I knew, they were still together and doing pretty well.

K1LLB0XS373N

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2015
    Morgan County
    That's freaking crazy. Someone apparently saw some evil in the guy. As usual the sheep ignore and point fingers at the sheepdog, therefor protecting the wolf!

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    No argument on whether or not the guy's a scumbag but a sign warning about him being a child molester would not have prevented him from killing someone.

Top Bottom