• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should my sister-in-law have asked permission to use my camera?

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    it's a respect issue plain and simple. They should respect someone else's property and ask permission to use it regardless of the relationship. So because it was your SIL it makes it ok not to ask.:n00b: There is no dollar value or other conditions to respect of another persons property. Would it have been ok if it had been your gun? you either respect peoples' property or you don't.

Hope she doesn't get a truck stuck in your yard.:D
    We'll just have to disagree... a firearm is much different. It involves a great amount of responsibility and it actually causes physical wear & tear on the device, not to mention out of pocket expenses. Taking pictures with a digital (I made the assumption it was a a digital) camera causes no additional wear & tear on the item, nor does it cause out of pocket expenses.

I guess some people are just really uptight about things even when it's with family.

Like I said, every family is different. I would bend over backwards for my family. No reason to be so uptight about something that appears to be a simple "prank".

Can't people have any fun anymore?

I can understand if a stranger did this. Or a family member took a very valuable camera and did this, or a family member took a camera that uses film (out of pocket expenses) and did this, but to get so uptight about something that can easily just be deleted from the memory card?

I'll just stop right there.... we'll agree to disagree and all will be happy. You guys can be uptight about small things like this with your family if you want to, but I'll enjoy my time with my family, and if they want to pull a prank on me I will take it in good nature and return the favor.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I wouldn't be extremely upset about it, or stay angry at SIL. I would still think it is rude, and keep my stuff out of sight/reach if i don't want her using it. I wouldn't pick up someone's camera and start using it w/o permission. Sometimes "what's mine is yours" results in broken or missing stuff!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My relationship with my SIL and her husband isn't a close one. They live a couple of hundred miles from us. They are highly educated, liberals, agnostics or atheists (I'm not sure). The BIL is a lawyer and anti-gunner. They have worked in Democratic politics at medium and fairly high (federal congress) levels. They drink heavily. My BIL likes to make snarky remarks (put-downs) that are downright rude at times. If he were a stranger and not drinking heavily when he makes them, he probably would get a punch in the nose.

My wife and I are pretty much everything that they aren't. I don't have my SIL or BIL e-mail addys.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    prolly a biyt disrespectful, but seeing as it's family, the camera never left the area (you apparentley didn't even realize it was being used by her) i'd say let it go.

on a side note, when i used to ework at a local bar/club i loved finding cameras at the end of the night. lot's of very "interesting" photo's can be found on the younger crowds camera's!! i almost always took a picture of my junk before puttin the camera behind the bar. always made me chuckle thinking about them finding the extra pics! ;-)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My relationship with my SIL and her husband isn't a close one. They live a couple of hundred miles from us. They are highly educated, liberals, agnostics or atheists (I'm not sure). The BIL is a lawyer and anti-gunner. They have worked in Democratic politics at medium and fairly high (federal congress) levels. They drink heavily. My BIL likes to make snarky remarks (put-downs) that are downright rude at times. If he were a stranger and not drinking heavily when he makes them, he probably would get a punch in the nose.

My wife and I are pretty much everything that they aren't. I don't have my SIL or BIL e-mail addys.

Sounds like you have made the choice to be around them on them at least on the holidays so take the high road, smile, make nice and exit early.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wouldn't be extremely upset about it, or stay angry at SIL. I would still think it is rude, and keep my stuff out of sight/reach if i don't want her using it. I wouldn't pick up someone's camera and start using it w/o permission. Sometimes "what's mine is yours" results in broken or missing stuff!
    I'm not really that upset, I haven't lost any sleep about it and won't dwell on it either. I really don't expect much from these folks. My wife says, "Sometimes I think I was adopted!"

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Your own fault for leaving it lying around.

Was it a DSLR? I'd be pissed off if my non-camera relatives picked up my expensive kit, but if it was a compact camera, who gives a crap.

Don't leave your crap in view/reach of other people. Don't leave nude pics of you and the wife on the camera also :P

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for, "You are way too concerned with your things, but what she did isn't [perfectly] acceptable."

I definitely wouldn't have made a big deal about it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Women are a Controlling, Manipulative, Selfish, Volatile, Scheming and Narcissistic Species. :xmad:
    Get used to it.

(I was married once. You can tell?) :):

If she ever leaves her camera around, then its your turn.
    I filled my MIL's camera with pix of her dogs dropping stinky pickles on the lawn. Really close-up. :poop:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    On Thanksgiving, I was at a relative's house. I brought my digital camera along and took a few photos. When I got home to download the photos, I discovered that my sister-in-law had used my camera to take some pictures. Most of the photos were of the floor, lamp, etc.

I mentioned this to my wife that her sister had used my camera without asking my permission and I thought that that was rude behavior. I said that it was the principle of the thing. If she had asked me, I would have given her permission to use it. My wife mentioned it to her relatives that I was bothered by the incident. The BIL said, "So I guess that's another rule we have to follow!" My wife's sisters didn't see anything wrong with what was done.

Feel free to vote.
    I keep my stuff / things on my person. Problem solved, it doesn't happen. I'm tired of dealing with people who " Don't have a problem with anything ".:twocents:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Could have been worse!

I was NOT involved directly, but know the parties involved, one of them quite well.
    Had a friend who took a mutual friends digital camera, and snapped a photo of his junk for a funny haha joke. Yes he photographed his own junk! Then put the camera back without saying anything, thinking it would be hilarious.

IT WAS NOT!

The bad part was, when his junk photo was downloaded and discovered, his friends wife knew who's junk it was, and promptly called him out for being stupid with their camera.

Her now "former" or "ex" husband, then called her out for unexplainably recognizing the offending junk. Seems she had been Monica Lewinskying the comedian/photographer/friend, and in the process, she also "blew" her marriage of 5 years.

She is now living with the comedian/photographer/former friend of her ex husbands.

I keep expecting to see them all on Springer someday.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    At least it's digital. You can dump the pix and it won't cost you anything.

She was wrong by the way.

Top Bottom