• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should my sister-in-law have asked permission to use my camera?

• Total voters

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I feel like I just heard one of my kids yelling, Dad! she touched my stuff!

yep.. i can understand if there was damage done to your camera or something or a complete stranger took your camera and took pics, but it's your SIL i don't really see anything wrong with it.. Just nicely ask her to ask next time, don't let a minor thing like this cause problems between the family :twocents:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've got a DSLR with some pro quality lenses, there's more tied up into that camera than most ARs; nobody touches it without my permission, period. Most that I do trust with it almost always hand it back immediately not knowing how to use it.

But I can't say I put all the blame on your SIL here, you left the camera where someone else had access to it, if this was something important to you that it not be touched or used without your consent, then it's up to you to keep track of it and control the access. Yes it was assuming on her part, and yes that is rude; but I don't think you've got too much ground to be mad at her when you left it unattended, your stuff your responsibility, same as me not leaving my gun unattended and in easy access during thanksgiving visits.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm not really that upset, I haven't lost any sleep about it and won't dwell on it either. I really don't expect much from these folks. My wife says, "Sometimes I think I was adopted!"

:laugh::laugh:^^^
    I have said the same thing as your wife! and also: "there's NO way these are my real parents!" When I was a teen, I seriously believed that.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    No she is not!

The question was rhetorical -- we already knew that. If she was, you wouldn't be complaining about it here other than, perhaps, "My hot SIL borrowed my camera and took pictures of everything but her sexy ____ (insert your favorite body part here)."

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The question was rhetorical -- we already knew that. If she was, you wouldn't be complaining about it here other than, perhaps, "My hot SIL borrowed my camera and took pictures of everything but her sexy ____ (insert your favorite body part here)."
    I often tell my wife that I got the pick of the litter, in more ways than one! Now if my SIL looked anything like the uh, person, in your avatar...well what would I do?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I often tell my wife that I got the pick of the litter, in more ways than one! Now if my SIL looked anything like the uh, person, in your avatar...well what would I do?

Don't act like you're immune to my rugged good looks and smoldering sexuality.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I marked it's ok for you to be upset. I myself have a Nikon package that with lense attached brings the value to over a grand. But, my memory card will hold a couple thousand pictures. I wouldn't complain to the family, your wife doesn't need the drama and either do you. I would however not leave it out again at a family function for anybody to pick up. I would probably take the pics she took to walmart and have them printed, maybe even an 8 X 10 of the foot stool and put it in a $3.00 frame and give it to her. Tell her she has real potential to be a professional....... But I'm a smart butt so I'm told.:D

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I marked it's ok for you to be upset. I myself have a Nikon package that with lense attached brings the value to over a grand. But, my memory card will hold a couple thousand pictures. I wouldn't complain to the family, your wife doesn't need the drama and either do you. I would however not leave it out again at a family function for anybody to pick up. I would probably take the pics she took to walmart and have them printed, maybe even an 8 X 10 of the foot stool and put it in a $3.00 frame and give it to her. Tell her she has real potential to be a professional....... But I'm a smart butt so I'm told.:D
    Now I really wish that I hadn't deleted the photos she took. Giving her a print in a frame is a great idea, but I think that she is too thick to change her ways. It would take a ton of bricks to make an impression.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unless you *really* don't get along with your SIL, I would say that it isn't a big deal.

I have a few "mortal enemies" that I never want touching anything on mine, *ever*.

However, if I get along with them (which for me is most people) I really don't mind what you mess with so long as what you are messing with isn't my Wife, Son, computer, reloading bench, safe, bow, firearms or tools.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    yep.. i can understand if there was damage done to your camera or something or a complete stranger took your camera and took pics, but it's your SIL i don't really see anything wrong with it.. Just nicely ask her to ask next time, don't let a minor thing like this cause problems between the family :twocents:

:yesway: Agreed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Unless you *really* don't get along with your SIL, I would say that it isn't a big deal.

I have a few "mortal enemies" that I never want touching anything on mine, *ever*.

However, if I get along with them (which for me is most people) I really don't mind what you mess with so long as what you are messing with isn't my Wife, Son, computer, reloading bench, safe, bow, firearms or tools.
    So you'd be fine having a relative come over to your house and re-adjusting your reloading dies, load a few rounds, using their own components and leaving the dies set the way they wanted? How about changing some settings on your computer and maybe downloading some programs without consulting you?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    So you'd be fine having a relative come over to your house and re-adjusting your reloading dies, load a few rounds, using their own components and leaving the dies set the way they wanted? How about changing some settings on your computer and maybe downloading some programs without consulting you?

Did braz edit his post after you asked these questions or did you not read his last paragraph?

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Not sure you read my last few lines completely... *NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE FAMILY OR OTHERWISE*, messes around with my Wife, Son, Reloading Bench tools, computer, etc.

I think that we are on the same page, just communication is getting a little messed up. :)

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Added emphasis where I think the discrepancy was... :yesway:

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your right for being mad.

Not to jack your thread, but I hate when a guest in your house just plops their butt in front of your computer and starts using it without permission. Big pet peeve of mine.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My relationship with my SIL and her husband isn't a close one. They live a couple of hundred miles from us. They are highly educated, liberals, agnostics or atheists (I'm not sure). The BIL is a lawyer and anti-gunner. They have worked in Democratic politics at medium and fairly high (federal congress) levels. They drink heavily. My BIL likes to make snarky remarks (put-downs) that are downright rude at times. If he were a stranger and not drinking heavily when he makes them, he probably would get a punch in the nose.

My wife and I are pretty much everything that they aren't. I don't have my SIL or BIL e-mail addys.

Big FREAKIN Deal! She snapped some pictures with your camera.
    If it was a very expensive camera, or if it was a film camera and she intentionally wasted the film, then MAYBE you would have a reason to gripe!
    As it is, she did no damage, it didn't cost you any money, I see no harm!

If you want to be mad at someone, blame yourself for leaving it out where someone else could get to it!

Perhaps, be the bigger person, and apologize to the rude, snarky, highly educated, liberal, democratic,anti-gunner, agnostic or atheist, out of towner, drunks for your petty, childish, selfish, snarky, rudeness, and get over yourself!

Seems to me, you just don't like them, and this is your excuse to be petty!
    But that's just my :twocents:!

Top Bottom