• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should my sister-in-law have asked permission to use my camera?

• Total voters

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    :crying: Back in the old days when you had to pay for and pay to develop film ok, digital camera age, stop crying and delete the pics. Sounds to me like there is already tension between you and your in-laws, and you are going all cry baby over something stupid. Don't worry you are not alone INGO has alot of cry babies.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Big FREAKIN Deal! She snapped some pictures with your camera.
    If it was a very expensive camera, or if it was a film camera and she intentionally wasted the film, then MAYBE you would have a reason to gripe!
    As it is, she did no damage, it didn't cost you any money, I see no harm!

If you want to be mad at someone, blame yourself for leaving it out where someone else could get to it!

Perhaps, be the bigger person, and apologize to the rude, snarky, highly educated, liberal, democratic,anti-gunner, agnostic or atheist, out of towner, drunks for your petty, childish, selfish, snarky, rudeness, and get over yourself!

Seems to me, you just don't like them, and this is your excuse to be petty!
    But that's just my :twocents:!

Tell us how you really feel.:):

I agree though that there must be something deeper about this than the face value of this thread...I'd have to be the pettiest, most ornery bastard on the face of the earth to get pissed if someone I actually liked picked up my camera and snapped a few digital photos that can be deleted at no cost, within seconds.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Tell us how you really feel.:):

I agree though that there must be something deeper about this than the face value of this thread...I'd have to be the pettiest, most ornery bastard on the face of the earth to get pissed if someone I actually liked picked up my camera and snapped a few digital photos that can be deleted at no cost, within seconds.
    Never had an ex-wife...have you? ;)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Added emphasis where I think the discrepancy was... :yesway:
    We're on the same page brother. My bad for not comprehending your entire post.

Some folks think it is about the camera and it is not. The issue is one of respect for other people's belongings. It is common courtesy that I'm talking about. I suppose you either have it or you don't. My grown children ask to use stuff that belong to me and/or the wife. That's the way they were raised. They aren't likely to get turned down when asking and they know it. It is just good manners and respect. Some people are just clods and some just have the entitlement attitude.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I didn't vote for either as I am in the, she shouldn't have done it but who cares camp. Life's too short to worry about stupid stuff like this.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    We're on the same page brother. My bad for not comprehending your entire post.

Some folks think it is about the camera and it is not. The issue is one of respect for other people's belongings. It is common courtesy that I'm talking about. I suppose you either have it or you don't. My grown children ask to use stuff that belong to me and/or the wife. That's the way they were raised. They aren't likely to get turned down when asking and they know it. It is just good manners and respect. Some people are just clods and some just have the entitlement attitude.

I don't expect my children, my wife, or even..... My sisters in law, to ask permission to use anything I may have laying around my house, or as in your case, anything I may have laying around another relatives house.
    They know that anything I have, they are welcome to!
    I guess it's a " common courtesy" thing! I don't really consider something as trivial as a camera as "MINE" .... As in, " you cant touch it without my permission!"

Seriously, what kind of things do your grown children have to "ask" permission to use around your house? Obviously the prized camera, but what else?... The phone, the bathroom, lights, water? Not to mention the fridge or...... the remote?

Damn kids and their entitlement attitude!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Seriously, what kind of things do your grown children have to "ask" permission to use around your house? Obviously the prized camera, but what else?... The phone, the bathroom, lights, water? Not to mention the fridge or...... the remote?

Damn kids and their entitlement attitude!
    Just curious. Would you expect your kids to ask permission to use or borrow something of someone else? Or are they entitled to those things as well?

I can't control how my SIL was raised, but my kids were raised to respect the property of others. Maybe it's just me... :dunno:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Life's too short. It probably wasn't right for her top touch someone else's camera, but I would not want to cause hard family feelings over something so small. Hopefully she ment no ill intent. And for me intent is everything.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just curious. Would you expect your kids to ask permission to use or borrow something of someone else? Or are they entitled to those things as well?

I can't control how my SIL was raised, but my kids were raised to respect the property of others. Maybe it's just me... :dunno:

It depends on what your talking about!
    Let's put it in the same context as the original post. We are at thanksgiving at a relatives house. At least in our families ( mine, and my in laws),we don't ask permission to get something out of the refrigerator, to use the bathroom, etc.
    I'm absolutely sure that no one in our family would mind at all if any one of us were to pick up a camera and snap off a couple pictures.
    Like I said originally, if it is an expensive camera or a film type camera, in which case, they would be wasting money, then I could see a possible problem.
    I and a niece both have expensive photography equipment, and neither of us would have a problem with another adult family member picking up our cameras and taking a couple pictures.... And mine is an old Pentax that uses film!
    I would possibly have a problem with a child doing the same. That would depend on the circumstances.

No, it's not just you! My wife and I have raised our kids to be respectful, and they would definitely ask before using someone else's property!
    My point was about " family"! I'm sure other families are structured differently than ours, we are all pretty easy going and informal. We share what we have,and our houses are open to each other at all times!

Let me ask you, would you be so upset, if your sister in law took a couple pictures with your cheap, point and shoot camera ( I am assuming ) that you would go on an Internet forum to complain about it?
    Just seems petty to me!
    Obviously, by the poll results, I'm in the minority here, I don't see a case of disrespect here, more just a case of the o.p. Not liking anything about his sister and brother in law, and finding anything he can to justify his feelings!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom