• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juan bond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    I am looking to carry 9mm for the summer months and only have double stack and don't know a lot about single stacks. Can anyone suggest some quality single stack 9mm's that aren't quite as big or bigger then a XD9? I want something thinner and a little smalle frame to reduce printing when wearing only a t-shirt.

Thanks

I'm new to handguns and was wanting a compact pistol to carry and use for home protection. I went the the gunshop with every intention of buying a ruger lc9 and came home with a kel tec pf-9 instead. I was told by the shop owner that for the budget-minded customer that the kel-tec was the way to go. Customer service is outstanding (I was told) and the pf-9 is a solid, accurate little gun for it's intended purpose. I will carry mine with me fishing in the G/S state forest (never know what you'll run into down there), and when we travel to the bigger cities. I put 250 rds. thru it yesterday and had 2 fail to extracts within the first 50 cycles,,no problems since and I'm getting ready to put another 100 rds. or so thru it now. I fail to see how you can go wrong with it for 289.00 or whatever you find them for***,If it fits your hand that is.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    After some thinking about what I want to buy it seems the Kel-tec is out. The more I look at pistols I think I would like something with a hammer and that really narrows my options.

Hickman, I have a snubby .38 and that is a good alternative to carrying an auto.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    After some thinking about what I want to buy it seems the Kel-tec is out. The more I look at pistols I think I would like something with a hammer and that really narrows my options.

Hickman, I have a snubby .38 and that is a good alternative to carrying an auto.

If you really want a hammer, you need to try the S&W 3913 or 3914, depending on whether you like stainless or melonite black. I have the 3914 and carry it year round with no problems. It is extremely flat (.91 inch slide) and while not super light like polymer framed pistols, it's only 24 oz which carries very easily.

I spent a few years and went through 10 or 11 pistols before settling on first the S&W 908 (the budget version of the 3913) and then the 3914.

The other hammer option you have has been mentioned already, the sig P239. I've never owned one but it's similar to the 3913 models, just slightly thicker and an ounce or two heavier.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

:D Irishfan, you are exactly in the mess I am in! Looking for a single stack 9 with an open hammer!

Here's the thread I started. There might be some good help there. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/136749-single_stack_9mm_not_dao.html
    But I'm still undecided as well. :dunno:

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Might as well get the cw9. They are 3-400 different in price and the only differences are...

1. cw has cheaper engravings, cant remember which one is rolled.

2. cw is slightly larger

3. pm has a hex threaded barrel, dono what the difference is, but if you cant hit your target with a regular thread, I dont see how the hex will help you any.

4. cw has one magazine included instead of 2

to me... the pm seems like it has less value. 800+ for the pm9 when you can get the cw9 for 400

The difference in the barrels is the PM9 has polygonal rifling while the CW9 has conventional rifling. The polygonal is supposed to be more accurate and decrease friction on the bullet. Never tried it though.

Here is a pic of the difference (stolen from Wikipedia :D)
    Left is conventional and right is polygonal
    Polygonal_vs_normal_rifling.svg

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    CW9 or a Hi-power with slim(stock) grips.

Neither my CD hi-power or my BDM print through a plain t-shirt unless im in an extreme maneuver(touching my toes while standing)....especially my BDM...and they enable you to carry a full clip (13-15).

My only other recommendation would be a SIG P290...(tiny)...the only drawback is that its plastic...plastic is for toys.

Cant say that I approve of the Kel-tec stuff...If it wont feed reloads or junk ammo...than it wont do the job....its gotta feed it all. A broken extractor pin from steel case ammo isnt reliable enough to trust your life to...Just wouldnt take that chance.

$.02

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom