• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    This has me leaning towards the single stage. I plan to load 3 handgun rounds and possibly a couple rifle. A few hundred rounds of each would last me a bit.

A turret type with and extra tool heads might work out better. That way once the dies are set it will be ready. Mine had six holes it was the Lyman T-mag. Heard good about Redding and RCBS turrets. Hornady lock and load are little different and worth looking into also.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    This has me leaning towards the single stage. I plan to load 3 handgun rounds and possibly a couple rifle. A few hundred rounds of each would last me a bit.
    If you eventually plan to expand anyway, you could always get a turret and use it as a single stage while you're learning. I know the Lee turret can be used this way, I don't know about the others. As mentioned above, the bonus is having the dies set one time in the turret plates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you eventually plan to expand anyway, you could always get a turret and use it as a single stage while you're learning. I know the Lee turret can be used this way, I don't know about the others. As mentioned above, the bonus is having the dies set one time in the turret plates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another option would be to just go ahead a buy a new Dillon 550c. They can be used like a turret press or a progressive. If a person has room for only one press, it would be hard to beat the versatility of a 550

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

My boys came by a week ago and shot up 50 30 06, 300 45lc, 200 44 magnum, and 100 9mm. In about 2 hours. Thats why I got a turret press.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    A turret type with and extra tool heads might work out better. That way once the dies are set it will be ready. Mine had six holes it was the Lyman T-mag. Heard good about Redding and RCBS turrets. Hornady lock and load are little different and worth looking into also.

Turret really seems to make sense. I had only seen single and progressive. But I just watched some videos on youtube and it looks about ideal.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Another option would be to just go ahead a buy a new Dillon 550c. They can be used like a turret press or a progressive. If a person has room for only one press, it would be hard to beat the versatility of a 550

I've seen the 550 recommended a lot. If I decide to go all in that's probably the route I'd go.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    My boys came by a week ago and shot up 50 30 06, 300 45lc, 200 44 magnum, and 100 9mm. In about 2 hours. Thats why I got a turret press.

Pretty good variety there. Nice to know the turret has that much versatility. Approximately how long does it take you to switch between them?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Pretty good variety there. Nice to know the turret has that much versatility. Approximately how long does it take you to switch between them?

That's one of the bonuses of a turret...

Swapping out the tool head (turret) and the shellholder takes about a minute.

I have a Lyman T-mag with six holes. Two pistol calibers (3-die sets) or three rifle calibers (2-die sets) can be set up in any head at a time. Mix 4-die sets with 2-die rifle sets, you customize it to suit your purpose.

I have 4 turrets and swapping out is easy. Basically, there is just one big bolt in the top.

The downside is that there is some flex since one side is completely open (unlike an "O" frame single stage press). But that one side being open is also very convenient to see what you are doing and accessing your cartridges.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

This ^ right here
    We have 2 550's very versatile. Spare tool heads are reasonable

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I use the lee classic. So it takes about 1 minute since I just pull the one caliber and drop a new one in. Takes longer to adjust the powder. I just use the one auto drum for all the different calibers. Thus the adjusting powder per caliber.

[video=youtube_share;ak7jLfUDydM]https://youtu.be/ak7jLfUDydM[/video]
    Fast forward to 1:22

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I use the lee classic. So it takes about 1 minute since I just pull the one caliber and drop a new one in. Takes longer to adjust the powder. I just use the one auto drum for all the different calibers. Thus the adjusting powder per caliber.

[video=youtube_share;ak7jLfUDydM]https://youtu.be/ak7jLfUDydM[/video]
    Fast forward to 1:22

That was really nice to see. Seems very practical

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I use a single stage for all my match ammo, use my 550"s for .223 plinking and short runs on handgun ammo, use the 1050 for large runs of 9mm.40,and 45. my family shoots a lot so it was economical to get into the 1050 with auto.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I have been loading for over 40 years, and still using the same RCBS Rockchucker press. It is a slow process compared to a progressive but not that big of a deal to load a few hundred rounds over a few days. It is also relaxing if you're stocking up and not rushed because you're out of ammo. I clean and inspect most of my brass a piece at a time and that doesn't fall into the scheme of a progressive.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    with the amount of crap I added to
    my mine, I had to load about 20,000 pistol rounds at super cheap bulk price to pay for my all my reloading equipment. You don’t save money, you shoot more.

What kind of volume is needed for a progressive stage press to be worth the extra cost over a single stage? Some people say the single stage is a waste since a lot of people out grow them, but others say it's a good starting point.

Opinions?

Top Bottom