• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree that most people shoot more that reload but for me my reloads are more accurate than factory loads. So I shoot more accurately.

Mine certainly shoot softer and seem to be more reliable. Plus they are more accurate. If all I wanted to do was blast stuff with a Glock I would have bought a bunch of steel cased Imported ammo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mine certainly shoot softer and seem to be more reliable. Plus they are more accurate. If all I wanted to do was blast stuff with a Glock I would have bought a bunch of steel cased Imported ammo.

Probably the main reason I reload is to create loads that work well with my pistol and are softer shooting.

I can shoot factory stuff fine, but I really like shooting my recipe loads.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Probably the main reason I reload is to create loads that work well with my pistol and are softer shooting.

I can shoot factory stuff fine, but I really like shooting my recipe loads.
    Figuring out the recipe is fun and very rewarding to me. I have two Hornady single stage presses and a Dillon 650 with case feeder and Mr Bullet bullet feeder. Getting a 1,000 rounds loaded and boxed up for proper storage in about two hours fits in my busy lifestyle right now but is still very relaxing at the same time. My Dillon is just as fun and relaxing and my Hornady’s, they just have different purposes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Figuring out the recipe is fun and very rewarding to me. I have two Hornady single stage presses and a Dillon 650 with case feeder and Mr Bullet bullet feeder. Getting a 1,000 rounds loaded and boxed up for proper storage in about two hours fits in my busy lifestyle right now but is still very relaxing at the same time. My Dillon is just as fun and relaxing and my Hornady’s, they just have different purposes.

If I had a Dillon, I'd certainly take advantage of the higher rates of production. I'm just not ready to buy one yet.

I'll have to prove to myself that I will continue to increase my frequency of shooting.:)

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Picked up my first piece of equipment today

7WLltrt.jpg

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If I had a Dillon, I'd certainly take advantage of the higher rates of production. I'm just not ready to buy one yet.

I'll have to prove to myself that I will continue to increase my frequency of shooting.:)

Once you pull the trigger on a Dillon you open up a lot of possibilities and your wallet. Be prepared to spend around $1,000 on the press and add ons. Start with a case feeder and the two most calibers you shoot then build up from there.

I probably have $3,000 in my press and accessories.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This is a big reason why I'm interested in reloading. I'd like to reload for plinking, but I'd also like to develop a good deer round for my .357 mag rifle.
    Your on the right track. Doing it to save money normally isn’t the right reason except during a pandemic. I can load a 1,000 rounds of 9mm for less than 1/2 maybe 1/3 of current cost with the supplies I acquired over the last 10 years at sale prices.

7WLltrt.jpg

Read and learn as much as you can before ever pulling a handle.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Once you pull the trigger on a Dillon you open up a lot of possibilities and your wallet. Be prepared to spend around $1,000 on the press and add ons. Start with a case feeder and the two most calibers you shoot then build up from there.

A Single Dillon.... Double Dog Slacker....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

7WLltrt.jpg

This is really hard for a Dillon guy to say, Buy yourself Richard Lees #2 book and read it twice. Richard writes great books. That book and a day or so spent with Andrew ( who advertises classes here) you will have a great grasp on the basics of reloading brass. Start small on a single stage and then when the basics are understood buy a Dillon 550. There is no reason to buy more press than you really need.
    Run what you needs will be and then add the time thats available to load and that will put you in the right size new or used Dillon.

View attachment 89848

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    This is really hard for a Dillon guy to say, Buy yourself Richard Lees #2 book and read it twice. Richard writes great books. That book and a day or so spent with Andrew ( who advertises classes here) you will have a great grasp on the basics of reloading brass. Start small on a single stage and then when the basics are understood buy a Dillon 550. There is no reason to buy more press than you really need.
    Run what you needs will be and then add the time thats available to load and that will put you in the right size new or used Dillon.

View attachment 89848

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out. I bought this one because it was recommended in one of the stickies in this section.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A Single Dillon.... Double Dog Slacker....

Two 650’s sitting on the bench and two Hornady Single stage that mount to the rolling carts that fit under the bench. :):

I would like to add the Dillon designated prep Machine to run the RT1500 trimmer. The trimmer and 300 BO carbide die was pretty salty but man does it crank out some nice 300 BO brass from 5.56 cases.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Thanks. You just convinced me not to consider a Dillon! Though I only load one pistol caliber, $1000 is about twice what I'd be willing to invest just to improve my output.:)

$3k won't ever happen. I don't have enough years left to recoup that kind of investment!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    ABC's of Reloading is a great start. That was one of my first books on reloading, but mine was the 2nd edition. Clay Pigeon is right about the Lee book, lots of useful info. Another really great book if one from Lyman, especially if you want cast bullet plinking loads. Lots of great loading info (besides the data) in the Lyman book.

You mentioned plinking and tailoring loads to your guns. That's the best part of reloading. I shoot a lot of revolvers. I have 14 loads for 38 special. Eight loads for 44 magnum and 11 loads for 45 ACP (3 loads are for my 45 ACP revolvers). Each load is for one or more guns, depending on the use: steel, PPC, bullseye, cowboy, Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup), long range silhouette, etc. A friend got me started reloading 39 years ago, mostly to save money. Now tailoring loads to the gun/use, as well as accuracy, is the main reason for reloading ammo. Good luck.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Thanks. You just convinced me not to consider a Dillon! Though I only load one pistol caliber, $1000 is about twice what I'd be willing to invest just to improve my output.:)

$3k won't ever happen. I don't have enough years left to recoup that kind of investment!

Over a lifetime you'll probably spend much more than 3K on components.......

and that "PAY BACK PERIOD" is just simple math for really dumb students that can only do arithmetic......says my CPA

:) you may have gone to better schools;

so your mileage may vary:):

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Look at a Dillon 550, it will easily do what you need for a lot less money.
    I most cases the true need for a fully progressive press is not needed.
    You can load tons of ammo on a semi progressive like the 550.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    This is a big reason why I'm interested in reloading. I'd like to reload for plinking, but I'd also like to develop a good deer round for my .357 mag rifle.

you'll probably be disappointed with 357 as deer cartridge.....
    158gr bullets even from a rifle are poor ballistically..........

like huntin with a 410 bore.....
    can be done

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Look at a Dillon 550, it will easily do what you need for a lot less money.
    I most cases the true need for a fully progressive press is not needed.
    You can load tons of ammo on a semi progressive like the 550.

Six of one, half dozen of another. If loading to shoot is all someone is doing then I agree with you. I load for me, my Grandkids, kids and family to shoot. I also load Ammo cans with 1,000 rounds a holster and loaded mags so that all I have to do is add a pistol from the safe when the zombies attack. :):

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I was in the same boat. I started off with a used $125 Lee turret for about six months. Then I bought the 650 Dillon. Then I added the case feeder, then the bullet feeder and my money just kept flying out the credit card to Dillon over the next ten years.

Churchmouse told me if I bought a 1911 they tend to multiply. He was right. I have more money in 1911’s than I do reloading equipment.

Top Bottom