• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was in the same boat. I started off with a used $125 Lee turret for about six months. Then I bought the 650 Dillon. Then I added the case feeder, then the bullet feeder and my money just kept flying out the credit card to Dillon over the next ten years.

Churchmouse told me if I bought a 1911 they tend to multiply. He was right. I have more money in 1911’s than I do reloading equipment.

Yeah, I understand that. I know quite a few people who are like that, lol.

Just not me. My 1911's never multiplied, my AR's never multiplied.

I'm an outlier. :)

I will consider a 550 when I can no longer keep up with my rate of consumption. Or I find a smoking deal on one.:):

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    When I bought my 650 the guy that sold it told me, you donÂ’t save any more money because you shoot more. He was right I got a deal and the press needed some maintenance. Now it makes ammo so smooth and accurate Dillion has me thinking about making more purchases. They can make an economy move, if it be ammo components, more guns, optics or more Dillion stuff. They make the firearm economy move. Their not for everyone IÂ’m more of a binge loader so it works for me.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Another really great book if one from Lyman, especially if you want cast bullet plinking loads. Lots of great loading info (besides the data) in the Lyman book.

I had thought a little about casting bullets but hadn't gotten into researching it much yet. I used to do it with my dad when I was younger. He was into black powder shooting and we'd cast .50 cal round balls for slingshot ammo lol.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Six of one, half dozen of another. If loading to shoot is all someone is doing then I agree with you. I load for me, my Grandkids, kids and family to shoot. I also load Ammo cans with 1,000 rounds a holster and loaded mags so that all I have to do is add a pistol from the safe when the zombies attack. :):

There is a big difference in price between a 550 and a 650 to begin with not to mention the cost of conversions. I run three of Mikes machines myself and a few single stages.
    Most shooters out in the world can easily fill their needs with a simple 4 die manual 450 Dillon. With owning a 450, 550 and a 650 I will say the 650 sits more than any of my other presses. I can change over my 550 and have hundreds of rounds loaded before one can change over a 650 case plate. primer assy, die and shell plate and adjust as needed to get up and running.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My 4 complete square deals cost me on average $200 a piece after selling off extra toolheads and dies I don't reload for or had doubles and triples of.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    There is a big difference in price between a 550 and a 650 to begin with not to mention the cost of conversions. I run three of Mikes machines myself and a few single stages.
    Most shooters out in the world can easily fill their needs with a simple 4 die manual 450 Dillon. With owning a 450, 550 and a 650 I will say the 650 sits more than any of my other presses. I can change over my 550 and have hundreds of rounds loaded before one can change over a 650 case plate. primer assy, die and shell plate and adjust as needed to get up and running.

That’s where some of my extra cost came in. One machine is setup for small primer the other large primer. I purchased a powder drop for each caliber so once the tool head is changed the top portion is ready. I can easily change calibers less than ten minutes. One thing your forgetting to mention is that the 650 is a five hole press that allows especially a new person the ability to add a powder check and factory crimp die. Getting an alert for an over or under charge is pretty important. I’m sure your way more seasoned and look in every case as it works trough the process to catch any powder fluctuations than most but it’s important to me.

It still boils down to what works best for each person and it sounds like you have what works best for you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That’s where some of my extra cost came in. One machine is setup for small primer the other large primer. I purchased a powder drop for each caliber so once the tool head is changed the top portion is ready. I can easily change calibers less than ten minutes. One thing your forgetting to mention is that the 650 is a five hole press that allows especially a new person the ability to add a powder check and factory crimp die. Getting an alert for an over or under charge is pretty important. I’m sure your way more seasoned and look in every case as it works trough the process to catch any powder fluctuations than most but it’s important to me.

It still boils down to what works best for each person and it sounds like you have what works best for you.

One of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to go progressive is that I have an SOP that involves several redundancies to keep my loads safe. Before I start charging cases with powder, I run the powder measure 10 time to make sure each drop is consistent. Then I load up a block of cases and weigh every 10th round as I fill the block. Then I scan the entire block once charged to make sure the powder is at the same level in each case. And then I check each round with my case gauge before putting them in the container as a loaded round.

I'm not sure if I can do any or all of that with a progressive and I will have to gain confidence in the equipment if I can't.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    1775usmarine;[URL="tel:8393045" said:
    8393045[/URL]]My 4 complete square deals cost me on average $200 a piece after selling off extra toolheads and dies I don't reload for or had doubles and triples of.

I have a 550 but have always wanted a square deal just for 45 which I do shoot the most of. Maybe after all this Panic buying stop I will look into getting one.
    You having 4 of them they must work great?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have a 550 but have always wanted a square deal just for 45 which I do shoot the most of. Maybe after all this Panic buying stop I will look into getting one.
    You having 4 of them they must work great?

I've got them set up for 45, 40, 9mm, and 38 with an extra toolhead and powder hopper for 357. I also have an old 450 set up for 223. The two singles are for my lesser shot calibers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My 4 complete square deals cost me on average $200 a piece after selling off extra toolheads and dies I don't reload for or had doubles and triples of.

One of those used to sit on my bench I believe. I had two square deals, one for 9mm and one for .45 ACP. They worked great. If a person knew they just wanted to kick out .380, 9mm, .40, .45 and .38 spl then the square deal is the machine for you. They just don’t have the backbone I like for resizing .44 mag though and bottle neck cartridges are a no go.

I lacked bench space and wanted to start loading rifle so I sold the square deals to pickup a 550. It is enough press to load what I need. I wouldn’t call it high volume but you can move along pretty good. My only complaint about a 550 is that it doesn’t take the standard shell holders which results in some additional expense to add a caliber. But a single stage close by doesn’t take up much room and adds that versatility. They are also handy for decapping or sizing rifle brass.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    you'll probably be disappointed with 357 as deer cartridge.....
    158gr bullets even from a rifle are poor ballistically..........

like huntin with a 410 bore.....
    can be done

I'll be hunting hills and hollers. 75 yards will be a long shot with most under 50. I think it should be adequate.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

$200 bucks for a square deal is a great price, but new they are almost the same price as a 550.
    I would love a square deal though, I do my rifle on single stage

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    One of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to go progressive is that I have an SOP that involves several redundancies to keep my loads safe. Before I start charging cases with powder, I run the powder measure 10 time to make sure each drop is consistent. Then I load up a block of cases and weigh every 10th round as I fill the block. Then I scan the entire block once charged to make sure the powder is at the same level in each case. And then I check each round with my case gauge before putting them in the container as a loaded round.

I'm not sure if I can do any or all of that with a progressive and I will have to gain confidence in the equipment if I can't.

You easily can do that with a dillon 550 its a manual ( you turn the shell plate ) progressive. The shell plate doesent turn until you want it to. If you want to prime and charge you just pull the retaining pin out from the charging station and after each pull on the handle remove the charged case and put it in your loading block.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got them set up for 45, 40, 9mm, and 38 with an extra toolhead and powder hopper for 357. I also have an old 450 set up for 223. The two singles are for my lesser shot calibers.
    Both our 550's started life as 450's. for about $100 you can buy the upgrade kit to turn a 450 to a 550

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Ive never needed a powder check on my 550. Station 3 is a seater and station 4 has a taper crimp die in it for most calibers. With my 650 i usually run a counter over a powder check station. I dont think Dillon offers the counter anymore.
    My 450 is a deacated. 38 special wadcutter press. And when that is run i have a taper crimp in ststion 4 also. And that machine one needs to pay attention with the loading sequence being totally different than a 550. Primer and powder is manual also. I've owned it since 82?

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I'll be hunting hills and hollers. 75 yards will be a long shot with most under 50. I think it should be adequate.

I wish you well with your .357 mag deer rifle.
    Lever guns are my favorite fun gun and I've taken many deer on hills and hollows in West Virginia with a 30/30 Winchester '94.
    and I enjoy cartridge development more than hunting cause I do it much more often.

good luck to you

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I wish you well with your .357 mag deer rifle.
    Lever guns are my favorite fun gun and I've taken many deer on hills and hollows in West Virginia with a 30/30 Winchester '94.
    and I enjoy cartridge development more than hunting cause I do it much more often.

good luck to you

I've always wanted a Winchester 94 30-30. I handled a couple this weekend at the highway 127 yard sale. I just don't know enough about them to pull the trigger on one. I'm pretty sure one was a pre 64, but I wasn't sure about the other I saw.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've always wanted a Winchester 94 30-30. I handled a couple this weekend at the highway 127 yard sale. I just don't know enough about them to pull the trigger on one. I'm pretty sure one was a pre 64, but I wasn't sure about the other I saw.

The Win in 30-30 is very proven. I definitely don't like the new crossbolt safety

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

my '94 is a legacy with 24" barrel made 2005 and I love it. has cross-bolt safety, so what. I do miss the half-cock position on the trigger.

you can buy an older model which is top eject. limits scope use.

angle eject models are better for scope.
    carbine 20" barrels are my favorite but my 24" barrel works great.

winchester levers alway handle better than marlin ir browning, and I can not learn to like henry at all.

buy a winchester that feels good in your hands.

and enjoy it.
    calibers 30/30. 32 win. spl.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom