• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Those ankle carriers seem useful since I'm running out of places to carry things. Too bad I don't wear (long) pants 10 months out of the year if I can help it. :)

I may have missed something somewhere, but what is an IBD (so I don't have to google a TLA)?
    Israeli Battle Dressing, IBD, Izzy, etc.

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    While most are good recommendations, you can easily screw up a needle decompression and hurt or kill a patient. I'd throw in a BVM and a set of King airways before a needle decomp kit for the average civilian learning things from youtube.

I agree with this although I'd carry iGel airways instead of the King. I was part of the EMS sales team that brought the King airway to market (have been selling medical supplies into EMS since 1993) and in my opinion the iGel is superior to the King in ease of insertion as well as reducing soft tissue damage and no cuff to "over"inflate.

But if needed no airway = no survival if needed.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As a former Certified EMT of 24 years (as well as a former biology/health teacher and Certified Athletic Trainer), these are some great assets to have available in the event of a shooting...especially the gunshot wound to the chest response kits.

Tourniquets can destroy a limb if left on too tightly for too long...they save a life, but make sure you obtain training on how and what to watch for if emergency response / assistance is not close by!

Burn cremes...I would hesitate to use as they can seal a burn 'in' and cause more damage...better off with cold water or ice packs to alleviate pain until further medical assistance can be obtained!

And as far as poking someone in the chest with a needle (decompression)...that might be better off left to professionals who're trained and certified/licensed to do so...liabilty-wise! Some people don't care if you saved their life...to some, it's all about the Benjamin's!

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Speaking of airways, my large SHTF long term BOB contains a set of Berman airways and a variety of nasopharengial airways. I carry a 30 NPH in my ankle kit. This is the first time I've heard of iGel.

Since no airway if needed = death, is any airway better than none?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Those ankle carriers seem useful since I'm running out of places to carry things. Too bad I don't wear (long) pants 10 months out of the year if I can help it. :)

I may have missed something somewhere, but what is an IBD (so I don't have to google a TLA)?

IBD = Israeli Battle Dressing aka "emergency bandage"

It's a combination elastic bandage, absorbent pad, and device to apply extra pressure over the dressing, which with some practice you can apply with one hand.

iYEnvQsVQA1tRiw4eZjn_lMSKDHm6SoyCiTVyAB6q_Israeli_20Emergency_20Bandage_20_600x.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday, January 9, 2018 is National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day (L.E.A.D.). Thank you to all Police and Law Enforcement Officers who keep our communities safe.
    Now through Sunday, January 14, use code LEAD20 to take $20 off of orders over $100.​
    [/FONT]

Top Bottom