• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hah! Only the second one was a negligent, self-inflicted knife wound. The other was a laceration on my forehead resulting from a fall in August of 2009 (there is a topic about it somewhere on here).

Just messing with you.I think I've seen that thread. waaa2

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wasn't even sure one was really a self-infliced knife wound.Just a guess. :):

It was when I hooked myself in the calf with a freshly sharpened 5.11 karambit. I didn't even feel the cut, but he bleeding was . . . impressive. I only knew I was hurt because I felt wetness on my lower leg and looked down and saw a rapidly expanding pool of blood on the floor.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Decompression needles? Ill pass on that one. Other than that, that pretty much sums up a great kit for EDC.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Holy crap. Carry a first aid kit, or dont.
    Stock it however you want.

Why tell others what is "too much"?

My post wasn't intended as a "too much" but a "this tool requires way more training to use safely than the average person will get, and has real and negative consequences if used wrong, and watching a couple of vids or seeing it demonstrated once is by far not sufficient training."

In the spirit of hyperbole, I want to encourage people to be aggressive in providing first aid but I don't want them rushing to do a c-section to a fat man with stomach pain because they have a sharp knife and saw it on an episode of ER.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In the spirit of hyperbole, I want to encourage people to be aggressive in providing first aid but I don't want them rushing to do a c-section to a fat man with stomach pain because they have a sharp knife and saw it on an episode of ER.
    As long as they stop short of a total hysterectomy, what’s the problem?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Dump the pressure dressings for more gauze to pack the wound with.

Before the crying starts, yes they have their place but if we are treating a gunshot wound or multiple, good luck with the pressure dressings. They rarely give you what you seek. Bullet holes never happen where you want them to for easy bandage and tournaquet application. Wanna stop that bleeding as best as possible and fast? Pack that sob
    This!!!

I have a friend that was a deployed Ranger. When he got out he became a Paramedic. While he was still with IEMS, he taught my unit on the department, our tactical first aid. My unit gets it once a year. He came up with a quick reference remember what to do. Tourniquet anything that Terminates in a Thumb or a Toe. Pressure for anything in the Pits or the Penis. Cover anything in the Chest.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If you don't mind my asking, why?
    Cleaning it out is a bear. By dire circumstances, I mean no ems response available or long, like days, to EMS. When those substances first hit the scene, they were the be all and end all to wound care. I think that direct pressure, tq's and packing will take you all the way without ER personnel cursing your lineage for the contamination. Please know that I am not saying they are without merit.

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    This!!!

I have a friend that was a deployed Ranger. When he got out he became a Paramedic. While he was still with IEMS, he taught my unit on the department, our tactical first aid. My unit gets it once a year. He came up with a quick reference remember what to do. Tourniquet anything that Terminates in a Thumb or a Toe. Pressure for anything in the Pits or the Penis. Cover anything in the Chest.

Tourniquets high and tight on the limbs, pack the junctions (neck, armpits, groin), seal the box (torso). Anthing to the head, they were either going to live or die anyway. Easy as pie.

As far as needle decompression goes, it's far less risky than some seem to believe. Go midaxillary and don't ride the rib. You're not going to hit the heart or the aorta with 3.25" needle. Going midaxillary avoids the subclavian, plus the chest wall is a bit thinner there. Besides controllable bleeding, tension pneumo is one of the few things that can be treated in the field. No trauma patient should ever die without bilateral needle chest decompression!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tourniquets high and tight on the limbs, pack the junctions (neck, armpits, groin), seal the box (torso). Anthing to the head, they were either going to live or die anyway. Easy as pie.

As far as needle decompression goes, it's far less risky than some seem to believe. Go midaxillary and don't ride the rib. You're not going to hit the heart or the aorta with 3.25" needle. Going midaxillary avoids the subclavian, plus the chest wall is a bit thinner there. Besides controllable bleeding, tension pneumo is one of the few things that can be treated in the field. No trauma patient should ever die without bilateral needle chest decompression!

Have you done many of them? Fortunately I've only practiced.

I understand the cautions offered by some and the dismissal from others, but using the needle cath to treat a tension pneumothorax is a core part of Doc Gunn's Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class. He was the first teacher from whom I learned about the specifics of gunshot wounds and similar injuries, I what he teaches and recommends is part of my foundation. I've been through the class a few times.

"Mid clavicular line, second intercostal space" is one of the things seared into my memory.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

I understand the cautions offered by some and the dismissal from others, but using the needle cath to treat a tension pneumothorax is a core part of Doc Gunn's Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class. He was the first teacher from whom I learned about the specifics of gunshot wounds and similar injuries, I what he teaches and recommends is part of my foundation. I've been through the class a few times.

"Mid clavicular line, second intercostal space" is one of the things seared into my memory.

Over the rib or under the rib?

bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County

While I certainly can't claim to have done MANY, I have done a few.

Over the rib or under the rib?

Above. By staying above the rib, you avoid the nerves and blood vessels that run on the bottom side of the ribs. Again, another benefit of mid axillary (imaginary line running down the middle of the armpit). You can go in the fourth or fifth intercostal space (between ribs 4 and 5, or 5 and 6) and have more room to work. There is more room between the ribs, allowing you get right in the middle of the intercostal space. There is a typically a higher success rate when decompressing in the mid axillary line.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    While I certainly can't claim to have done MANY, I have done a few.

Above. By staying above the rib, you avoid the nerves and blood vessels that run on the bottom side of the ribs. Again, another benefit of mid axillary (imaginary line running down the middle of the armpit). You can go in the fourth or fifth intercostal space (between ribs 4 and 5, or 5 and 6) and have more room to work. There is more room between the ribs, allowing you get right in the middle of the intercostal space. There is a typically a higher success rate when decompressing in the mid axillary line.

I have done many myself and I prefer mid clavicular because I can keep an eye on the needle and the chances of the patients arm obstrucing it are eliminated. I normally end up with several needles in the chest wall before getting to the ER. Turkel needles have eliminated that issue. I prefer chest tubes but sometimes that is not an option.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Those ankle carriers seem useful since I'm running out of places to carry things. Too bad I don't wear (long) pants 10 months out of the year if I can help it. :)

I may have missed something somewhere, but what is an IBD (so I don't have to google a TLA)?

Top Bottom