• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Ok, needles aside.. (although it was in the OP "things EVERY gun owner needs")

I'm pretty much in agreement with this line of thinking...

I suppose I'm not prepared if the grocery store than I go to catches on fire, because I must admit to being a sheep who does not always carry my Nomex suit around with me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Forget the Needle, What the heck, men?

No one here said to carry or use a needle. No one said the Needle is first aid. Several experienced people, trainers and professionals alike have said that the needle is not something the average gun owner should carry,need or use.

Why the heck do some of you keep going back to that.

Sorry I just figured it out. Some don't read past the OP they just see something they can knock and chime in.

Well, you are the one who posted "six things" that everyone needs and included the needle as part of a chest decompression kit.

Needle aside, where you do guys carry all of this stuff? I sometimes find carrying my pistol, knife, wallet and car keys a bit annoying, I don't see how anyone runs around outfitted like a special forces medic.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Thanks for the list and reminder. Will put some items on my birthday list to improve my First Aid Kits. While in theory we could all improvise a chest seal or tourniquet without regular training and under a high stress situation the proper tools would be helpful. All together those items are lighter than carrying my personal nurse (wife) around and not as expensive or moody.

You guys are no fun, some of us just wanna stab needles into chests, no matter the symptoms/wounds? What better practice than a live target? That’s a nasty cough you got there, here, lemme try this chest dart! Apply purple liberally.

Just like a movie star! If you just got the image of one of your INGO members in a bra you may need to add eye bleach to your IFAK or drift over to the Selma H. thread.

Pulp2.png

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As I said, I re posted an ad from a company that I use, has good prices and cheap shipping. They included the needle which i stated early on that I thought it was wrong to include.

From their site, this is my EDC IFAK.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue-essentials-tactical-ankle-medical-kit/

This is for self treatment. I have included a boo boo kit in it because I most often need a band aid rather than a tourniquet. But you never know.

As for a disaster in a store you may want to carry a fire engine, bulldozer and a crane, hyperbole is your friend.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wthout going into a ton of detail, in Southern Indiana in2005 I was the first person to come across a victim of multiple gunshot wounds, at that time, I didn’t carry first aid/trauma gear, so all I was able to do was assess injuries, start to administer cpr, and watch him die while waiting on EMS. Turns out the guy probably got what he had coming, and even with the proper equipment he was still gonna die. But feeling helpless at the time, watching his friends and family freak out as he bled out, is something I don’t wanna do again. A TQ wouldn’t have helped in this scenario as he had 3-4 torso hits, but IBD’s and kerlix may have postponed his expiration long enough for EMS to arrive. I’ll never know, but it won’t happen again(being unprepared) to me. YMMV.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Needle aside, where you do guys carry all of this stuff? I sometimes find carrying my pistol, knife, wallet and car keys a bit annoying, I don't see how anyone runs around outfitted like a special forces medic.
    Mine is a Ryker Nylon Gear AFAK ankle first aid kit. In the summer, in shorts, it all goes in a cargo pocket.

Tried to attach pics, but since photbucket screwed everyone, I haven’t found a new way.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That is expensive.
    I bought the pouch only, it comes with mini shears and a couple pair of nitriles, for $55. I added the stuff to it at considerably less than their premade kits. It has Combat Gauze, 4” IBD, twin pack Hyfin, flat pack Zfold kerlix, and CAT. It wears fairly comfortably, with as little bulk as a folded CAT can leave. It has most of the basic trauma stuff one should need, and according to some, too much. It is on me at all times, and I can resupply from my Jeep bag if necessary.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Mine is a Ryker Nylon Gear AFAK ankle first aid kit. In the summer, in shorts, it all goes in a cargo pocket.

Tried to attach pics, but since photbucket screwed everyone, I havenÂ’t found a new way.

Thanks, I will actually look into that. I don't carry medical supplies around unless I am out hiking, but that looks like a nice small, lightweight item.

You can post pics without an account for link to a forum at this website: https://ctrlq.org/images/

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    3K8qSgO.jpg
    WCVsoLW.jpg

Zfold kerlix And Qwik Clot is in the pocket with the CAT, two pair of nitriles are in pocket with shears, 4” Izzy by itself, and twin Hyfins are in horizontal pocket on backside of pouch.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry a 6" IBD, SOFTT-W, gorilla tape, gloves, etc. in a cargo pocket on my shorts. It's the least of the items I carry all the time in terms of weight and inconvenience. I have more stuff in my backpack. I have a small kit in my car, but I also have a couple of the Doc Gunn-recommended kits stashed in there (6" IBD, NPA, 2-3/4" 14ga needle cath, and two windings of tape around it).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry a 6" IBD, SOFTT-W, gorilla tape, gloves, etc. in a cargo pocket on my shorts. It's the least of the items I carry all the time in terms of weight and inconvenience. I have more stuff in my backpack. I have a small kit in my car, but I also have a couple of the Doc Gunn-recommended kits stashed in there (6" IBD, NPA, 2-3/4" 14ga needle cath, and two windings of tape around it).
    I prefer 6” IBD’s, but in the ankle kit, they are too much, so I went with 4”. I’d like to get some H&H 4” Flat compressed trauma bandages, but they are always out of stock when I have extra cash budgeted.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks, I will actually look into that. I don't carry medical supplies around unless I am out hiking, but that looks like a nice small, lightweight item.

You can post pics without an account for link to a forum at this website: https://ctrlq.org/images/
    They sell the AFAK empty or stocked, it comes with two pair of rolled nitriles, and mini shears, plus an extender peice for over boot wear. The build quality is great, materials are tough, and stitching is good, $55 is a little steep, but you can get others such as Tuff Products for less, but this is the one I decided on. YMMV.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The link I posted for the ankle IFAK I carry comes with a SOFTT-W, 2 pr nitrile gloves and a 4" Izzy. for $58.99 and $4.99 shipping

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The link I posted for the ankle IFAK I carry comes with a SOFTT-W, 2 pr nitrile gloves and a 4" Izzy. for $58.99 and $4.99 shipping
    A friend has that carrier, not the stocked kit, just the carrier, and hates it. I’ve never tried it on, but he says it is uncomfortable and ?heavy? and even worse when loaded? I looked at it, and see no problems, but never wore it as I already had the Ryker. Neither here nor there, everyone is fre to choose what they want, and spend what they want. Mine works for me, at twice the price, yours works for you at half the price. For no more than that costs stocked, I’m going to order one just for the TQ and Izzy, and maybe wrap it on the roll bar of my Jeep?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It depends on how you place it I had the TQ on my shin once and it rubbed me raw. As long as you place it on muscle it is fine, as for weight the carrier weighs next to nothing, so I don't know how it would be heavier than another stocked ankle carrier.

Like you say everyone must decide for themselves. I started the thread to garner awareness. It seems that open minded folk have benefited.

I have learned and that is the other reason for posting. I am an unpaid shill for RE because it is the cheapest I've found and they sell everything you could want, medical, especially decompression needles! :):

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It depends on how you place it I had the TQ on my shin once and it rubbed me raw. As long as you place it on muscle it is fine, as for weight the carrier weighs next to nothing, so I don't know how it would be heavier than another stocked ankle carrier.

Like you say everyone must decide for themselves. I started the thread to garner awareness. It seems that open minded folk have benefited.

I have learned and that is the other reason for posting. I am an unpaid shill for RE because it is the cheapest I've found and they sell everything you could want, medical, especially decompression needles! :):
    As far as weights, it weighs a hair over 4 oz. empty compared to Rykers 2.3 oz. I don’t see either being heavy, even loaded, but I ankle carry a G26 most days too. I’m looking into rescue essentials as they are cheaper on shipping than any I’ve found. Pricing on items is within pennies for most stuff I buy regularly, but my other suppliers eat me up with shipping.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A few things . . .

Why do you suggest that it's an either/or situation? Why not just add some gauze if you aren't already carrying some or enough?

A gunshot wound is among the least likely injuries I'm going to sustain in terms of blood leaking out of me. I can't speak for others. Removing a piece of gear that is very useful in a variety of situations because it might not be useful for one specific application doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

How do you apply pressure after you pack the wound if you don't have a hand to keep doing it? Like to yourself? An IBD might not work on every location on every body, but it's adaptable to enough of them to be worthy of inclusion in one's possessions.

Packing material is one of the easier things to improvise, much more so than a tool that someone can apply to their own wound with one hand that can apply a good deal of pressure. I have two big rolls of gauze in my backpack I take everywhere in the outside pouches with a SOFTT-W and a couple of IBDs, but if that's not enough there are a wide variety of things that will suffice for packing wounds that need it.

For regular people, hands, arms, legs, and heads get lacerated and punctured more frequently than torsos because they're sticking out. IBDs work great on those and packing is not likely to be needed since most of injuries will be compressible.

I've needed an IBD twice in the last 8 years for injuries I sustained. The first time I didn't have one available (it was in my truck) and I had to keep applying pressure with my hands and a handful of bandanas (kept adding them as they soaked through) and wait for help. The second time I did have an IBD, which I applied to my own leg, it worked well, and it allowed me to drive myself to the emergency room. I much preferred the situation when I had the IBD handy.

The people with whom I train (and have a lot of experience treating wounds) advocate IBDs as the core of a kit. Their collective experience and knowledge leads me to conclude that I want to carry IBDs.

Just stop fidgeting with your knife! :dunno:

Top Bottom