• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    are winchester primers safe to use in the ar15? I was at the range yesterday an I fired one shot then another fired without another pull of the trigger. The gun did jam after the second unexpected shot. I have heard that you should not use winchester primers in the ar15 because the primer cup is so soft and the fact that the ar has a free floating firing pin there is a risk of slam fires. Has anyone else had this problem?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i have run them and never had a problem. I prefer the CCI primers but i couldn't get them the last time i went to stock up so i had to go with the Winchesters.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I thought the Federal's were the ones to avoid in semi's. I always use CCI 34's and 41's in my semi auto loads - but i'm sure there will be 20 people who tell me i'm wrong or that i'm wasting money.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i find winchester to be a one of the harder primers out there.......you have something else goin' on.....i wouldn't fire it at a public range.....wrong ears may hear it...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I normaly use CCI, but I have used the Winchester primers a couple times and never had any issues with them in my AR's. Might want to give your rifle a good once over.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Doesn't sound like a slamfire to me. Sounds like you have a different issue. Slamfires won't generally jam a rifle, unless it fires out of battery.

Check your trigger and sear springs.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a browning buck mark give my a two round burst once. After the initial shock I thought it was pretty sweet, but somehow or another I must have been holding it just right to have a bumpfire.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've used Win. primers for years on my AR's without a problem. Not having a primer fully seated can cause this,

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Aszerigan is right. Only time I've had that happen is when my trigger pin slipped inside the receiver. Disconnector didn't catch the hammer because the trigger was just enough out of alignment. I couldn't "feel" it and overlooked it at first glance. Ordered new pins when I got home.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have heard that you should not use winchester primers in the ar15 because the primer cup is so soft and the fact that the ar has a free floating firing pin there is a risk of slam fires.

Not dissing the OP for askng the question but where does this bad info come from?? :xmad:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Not dissing the OP for askng the question but where does this bad info come from?? :xmad:

The OP is actually pretty correct. As CCI manufactures their own brand (#41's) for military AR platforms, other primer manufacturers get the short end of the stick for being unsafe or 'too soft.' To tell the truth, I don't see anything wrong with using CCI 400's in an AR rifle, or Rem 6 1/2's or Win SR primers either. But purists will tell you not to, and it's rampant suggestion on the internet. If you're charging your weapon under the correct circumstances, a slamfire won't be an issue. Point it downrange in a safe direction.

I don't think it's bad information, just looking for answers in the wrong direction. No harm, no foul. I am curious to know what the OP finds though about his inadvertent burst issue.

Last edited:

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    The OP is actually pretty correct. As CCI manufactures their own brand (#41's) for military AR platforms, other primer manufacturers get the short end of the stick for being unsafe or 'too soft.' To tell the truth, I don't see anything wrong with using CCI 400's in an AR rifle, or Rem 6 1/2's or Win SR primers either. But purists will tell you not to, and it's rampant suggestion on the internet. If you're charging your weapon under the correct circumstances, a slamfire won't be an issue. Point it downrange in a safe direction.

I don't think it's bad information, just looking for answers in the wrong direction. No harm, no foul. I am curious to know what the OP finds though about his inadvertent burst issue.
    ok here is the link 223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide go down where it says primers and slam fires. It didn`t double fire when the bolt went shut at first it was when I fired a few shots. It did it once before but I thought it was an accidental bump fire, I had just changed to a timney trigger an it was much more lighter than stock(hope the link works)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had an issue with Winchester primers in an AR. I can not use Winchester White Box .223 in that particular AR. If I do, I get consistent slamfires. I have no issues with any other ammunition.

Here's the original thread where I posted the following:

(NOTE: In case the images aren't showing ... If you hit "quote" and then hit the "preview post" button at the bottom of the post, you will be able to see the images. Something about linking the images from the other forum blocks them on INGO. Also, there is a link near the bottom that will take you to the other forum where the situation is explained further.)

Did you retrieve your brass after the malfunction? Checking the primer from the culprit casing will give you some clues. Flowback into the firing pin hole will show you that the hammer was not resting against the firing pin (therefore, no hammer follow through and no problem with the sear engagement ... a true slamfire). If you are certain that you have retrieved the correct casing and there is no flowback into the firing pin hole, you might have hammer follow through.

Here are some pics from two slamfires I had (posted from another forum). The two casings on top are the slamfires (note the flow into the firing pin hole). The two casings in the middle are rounds that fired normally. The two on the bottom are unfired rounds from the same lot.

attachment.php

This is another view of the two slamfire casings compared to two fired rounds (functioned normally) from the same box (note the primers are NOT high).

attachment.php

It is possible to have an out-of-battery slamfire in an AR but unlikely that it would be caused by the firing pin ... more likely that the boltface or something else will strike the primer. A slamfire in an AR will more than likely take place once the bolt is in battery and the free floated pin strikes the primer due to inertia. This usually requires a high and/or sensitive primer for detonation.

If you want to read more about my slamfire issue and all the associated wisdom that was shared with me on that forum, click here (my story starts with post 29).

BTW, you do know that every single round that gets chambered during the firing cycle gets a little dimple on the primer? I was told that if you chamber the same round several times without firing, eventually the firing pin kissing that primer all those times might convince the primer that they are on a date and ... BANG! Also, did you chamber the round from the magazine (sounds like this is what you did from the OP) or manually place the round in the chamber and release the bolt? Just want to be clear.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, then, I am fortunate that my AR doesn't fall into those certain circumstances that creates the condition since I've fired thousands of rounds through it that were built wilh Winchester primers.

Lucky me... :D

Top Bottom