• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    You will get tons of opinions, but ultimately you will have to decide what is best for you. It is difficult to get to the range and shoot a wide variety of weapons before purchasing. What you could do though is go to a quality, safe, female friendly gun shop and lay hands on a number of guns. Some will feel right and some just won't. Please don't fall into the small/cute/ladies gun that some salesmen will push on you. I do not know your experience level, but autos do require some level of initial training and upkeep thereafter. While it is not an excuse to not train, revolvers can be a little more forgiving in this department. My physically fit, college educated, army veteran wife has worked with a number of handguns, but finally settled on an older s/w revolver. Nearly bullet proof, clean and easy - no slide locks, safeties, mag release buttons, etc. Good luck with your search. I know it is hard to set the $$ aside, but try to budget some money for some sort of training class and ammo to practice.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    $180 is a bit thin, especially in a gun store. Just a few more bucks and careful shopping among private sellers would get you in to some quality used revolvers. If you go in go a gun store and throw down $180, you will probably walk out with something less than perfectly reliable, and a gun that doesn't work isn't worth much.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here on INGO, or, once you've met the requirements, post a "want to buy."

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    A used .25 ACP pocket gun would probably run in the $180 price range or less.

Obviously, follow all the information above before you go buying anything.

Just because you moved "2 the city" doesn't mean you "absolutly need protection". :pimp::shady:

Make sure you are mature enough and ready to carry a firearm and make sure you are doing it legally.

Do your research!

:welcome:
    :ingo:
    :patriot:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have a FEG PA-63 that I purchased for $160. It comes in a less common caliber, 9x18 makarov, but it is super reliable and powerful enough for a carry gun.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you can save up a little more you could start looking at some Kel-Tec's. I've never shot one, but know a lot of officers who carry them as back up guns and you can get them in a 9mm.

And :welcome: to :ingo:
    +1, but you will have to add about $75.00 to your price for new, used maybe $30-40.00.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    my advice: save your money a little longer. $300 will give you a lot more choices.

I once squeezed my dollars and thought "there's no more room in my budget." Then I squeezed another hundred a month out. Then a couple months later, I cut back a little more and squeezed another hundred fifty out. Then I took a pay cut and was still able to squeeze more money out.

Also be sure to save up at least a hundred bucks for ammo to practice with. You don't need to pay for a class in order to learn to shoot. There are a lot of people that will be happy to teach you what you need to know for nothing (brothers, friends, cousins, people who know guns).

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I am not the most experienced person in the world but I stop at gun shops all over (drive a lot with my job). Your price range is low to get anything I have seen that I would want for protection with the exception of Hi Point which I know nothing about. I saw a thread in the Handguns category regarding Hi Point so that may be worth a look. As far as choosing a gun for protection - do you intend to carry or just for protection at home? That question must be answered first. Second do you have any experience with guns? If not you need to take a course. If you're not familiar with semi-auto's you should definately look at revolvers as there is not much that can go wrong with revolvers (bought my wife an S&W 38 special and she likes it).

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i had a berretta jetfire .25 that would go for about that price used. it was agood little gun for the money.popp guns will let you shoot their guns on their range

thebest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    thanks to every0ne 4 all of the posts and advice i really appreciate it. as of now im still looking. but with a higher price range it 250.00

thebest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    i upped my price...

i took everyones advice and just bumped my price to 250.00 but as of now im still looking for a nice handgun.

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    i took everyones advice and just bumped my price to 250.00 but as of now im still looking for a nice handgun.

For 250.00 you could land a keltec.

What type of gun are you looking for?

Caliber, size, purpose, etc ?

the Indy1500 is just around to corner, and LOTS of used guns will be for sale there. 250.00 could probably be stretched quite a bit at a show like that.

LittleLady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    I concur, you'll want to try before you buy. You want something you're able to handle/control and that you're comfortable and confident in using. Even though I'm a petite female, I'm better able to control a larger, heavier frame (it provides less recoil, so I can control it better/faster).

Top Bottom