Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting thread.
    You are where I was 16 months ago.
    Based on my reading everyday and shooting nearly everything out there in 9mm the input you're getting is dead-on.
    My favorite was the S/W M/P Shield 9mm, but it took me a few months to get there owning many others.
    Early on, I choose some that were too small, but the Shield 9 seemed to be the perfect size.

I didn't try out some of the more expensive 9mms. I limited my self mostly in the $200 - $300 range.
    I did fall in love with the Glock 26 for a "bigger" 9mm.
    Then, just a few weeks ago I discovered the joys of the Sig 365: small, accurate, and with a 12 round clip: great grip.

You really can't go wrong with any of the great suggestions made here, but someone said the same advice I got that proved to be true:
    there is no "one-size-fits-all." You must find what your hand and eye "clicks" with .
    I originally rejected the Shield, just for it to become my favorite CC.
    I personally had to buy a used gun and use it for awhile to know. I rented a ton of guns, but that was "too-much too-soon" for me.
    I needed to take my time with a gun, then move on if I found something I liked better.
    It is not a path I recommend b/c of having to buy/sell so much: something I enjoy but it isn't for everyone.

Enjoy your journey!

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    Interesting thread.
    You are where I was 16 months ago.
    Based on my reading everyday and shooting nearly everything out there in 9mm the input you're getting is dead-on.
    My favorite was the S/W M/P Shield 9mm, but it took me a few months to get there owning many others.
    Early on, I choose some that were too small, but the Shield 9 seemed to be the perfect size.

I didn't try out some of the more expensive 9mms. I limited my self mostly in the $200 - $300 range.
    I did fall in love with the Glock 26 for a "bigger" 9mm.
    Then, just a few weeks ago I discovered the joys of the Sig 365: small, accurate, and with a 12 round clip: great grip.

You really can't go wrong with any of the great suggestions made here, but someone said the same advice I got that proved to be true:
    there is no "one-size-fits-all." You must find what your hand and eye "clicks" with .
    I originally rejected the Shield, just for it to become my favorite CC.
    I personally had to buy a used gun and use it for awhile to know. I rented a ton of guns, but that was "too-much too-soon" for me.
    I needed to take my time with a gun, then move on if I found something I liked better.
    It is not a path I recommend b/c of having to buy/sell so much: something I enjoy but it isn't for everyone.

Enjoy your journey!

I saw your shield in the classifieds, and read about you picking up the P365. So it looks like you might’ve finally finished! I will likely end up being less picky than you after I make a choice. I’m not motivated enough to do a lot of buying and selling.
    Interestingly out of the ones I’ve handled, the shield 2.0 felt the least comfortable. Hopefully I can actually see a P365 in person soon.
    I might try to shoot a few of these tomorrow, so that will help.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Let's see. I have or had the Walther PPS, the Ruger LC9S Pro, and the CM9.

All are good choices and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. All conceal well and are reliable. I've never had an issue with any of them.

The Walther is my summer IWB carry and the Kahr is my pocket carry. In the fall and winter I move to double stack pistols.

Do yourself a favor and try before you buy unless you have money to burn. If that's the case, I am currently taking donations to my ammo fund...LOL

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I saw your shield in the classifieds, and read about you picking up the P365. So it looks like you might’ve finally finished! I will likely end up being less picky than you after I make a choice. I’m not motivated enough to do a lot of buying and selling.
    Interestingly out of the ones I’ve handled, the shield 2.0 felt the least comfortable. Hopefully I can actually see a P365 in person soon.
    I might try to shoot a few of these tomorrow, so that will help.

1. I don't remember what the 2.0 feels like, but my 1.0 felt wonderful in my hand (think grip size the same), which was not your experience and illustrates what others have said about you having to find out yourself, not just listen to everyone else's favorites.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I feel like this general topic is probably been talked about in great depth, but I did a few searches, and didn't find a lot that was recent/relevant... and I need to get some posts so I can actually talk to people in the classifieds :)
    I'm pretty new to guns - I've only owned for about 5 years, with a total of 3 handguns.

I want a small single stack 9mm, and have found a number of options that look appealing.
    I'll be trying to rent some of them shortly, but for now I'm just seeing if the legion of gun aficionados have any input.
    What are your thoughts on this list, and am I missing any?
    M&P Shield 2.0
    Springfield XDS
    XDS Mod 2
    XDE
    Walther PPS M2 LE
    Sig P365
    Kahr PM9
    CM9
    Glock 43
    Sig P290RS

Thanks for any time spent considering!

If $$$ are any consideration, Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka is currently selling a black Cerakote Kahr CM9 (an exclusive run of theirs from 2016) for $260...that’s the PM9’s less expensive version...

They don’t come much smaller or lighter, which is a problem for some folks when it comes to shooting. With my little hobbit hands (I tower over grade schoolers at 5’4”) it fits me perfectly and during my break in session I was getting just over 1” groups a 7 yards shooting unsupported.

The price was enough to lure me back to Kahr after a much-discussed P380 debacle. I’d never had any issues with the CM9s I’d had so I thought I’d give it another run. Glad I did. YMMV.

https://imgur.com/a/ccS95jt

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Depends on what you value. Durability and proven track record? Size differences? Cost? Ease of logistic support (holster availability, magazine cost and availability, aftermarket sights, etc.), and how big your hands are.

Some of the "small" guns are smaller than others. Personally, I find the Shield size as small as I can go and still shoot two handed worth a darn. The Glock 43 is just too small.

The 365 is the new hotness due to capacity. It's also got a higher than average failure rate. Broken firing pins and dead triggers being the main culprits, and usually surfacing somewhere between 1k-2k rounds. It's an interesting gun, but it's way too early for me to jump on that bandwagon.

The PPS is a nice pistol, but doesn't get much love for whatever reason, and might not have the aftermarket support some of the class leaders do.

I like the Shield, but it could use some changes. The factory 3-dot sights are...sights. Luckily they are easy to swap out. The grip texture is smoother then I'd like (a common complaint I have against a lot of plastic guns) and I'd like something like the XD-s texture. But, magazines are cheap and plentiful, the guns run with no major faults, and there's a ton of support for them.

The Shield, Glock 43, and XDs would be my major contenders due to track record, $20-ish spare magazines, good aftermarket support, and track record. The 290rs has a butt trigger, the 365 is still teething, and I don't know enough about the Ruger offerings to have any input there.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Depends on what you value. Durability and proven track record? Size differences? Cost? Ease of logistic support (holster availability, magazine cost and availability, aftermarket sights, etc.), and how big your hands are.

Some of the "small" guns are smaller than others. Personally, I find the Shield size as small as I can go and still shoot two handed worth a darn. The Glock 43 is just too small.

The 365 is the new hotness due to capacity. It's also got a higher than average failure rate. Broken firing pins and dead triggers being the main culprits, and usually surfacing somewhere between 1k-2k rounds. It's an interesting gun, but it's way too early for me to jump on that bandwagon.

The PPS is a nice pistol, but doesn't get much love for whatever reason, and might not have the aftermarket support some of the class leaders do.

I like the Shield, but it could use some changes. The factory 3-dot sights are...sights. Luckily they are easy to swap out. The grip texture is smoother then I'd like (a common complaint I have against a lot of plastic guns) and I'd like something like the XD-s texture. But, magazines are cheap and plentiful, the guns run with no major faults, and there's a ton of support for them.

The Shield, Glock 43, and XDs would be my major contenders due to track record, $20-ish spare magazines, good aftermarket support, and track record. The 290rs has a butt trigger, the 365 is still teething, and I don't know enough about the Ruger offerings to have any input there.

These are the exact reasons I'm going to go with the Shield soon. I love my PPS M2. It fits the hand well, it carries well, I shoot it well, love the features and the extended striker you can feel when it moves. What I don't like are the $40 mags :n00b: and the lack of support for accessories. I like to have a spare parts kit for every firearm we own, along with good supply of mags (10 per handgun, 20 per rifle). The Walther & the Kahr are the only ones we fall short on and that's due to cost and availability.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Shield. Its one of, if not the most reliable in its class. Its towards the lower end of the price pool. Cheap plentiful mags. Great aftermarket. 2nd best capacity. While there are smaller 9s most arn't much if any more concealable, just less shootable. If you need smaller than the shield, your probably better off witha 380.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Ha!
    That's actually the only gun I had on my list that I didn't include on this post. All of my enthusiast friends give me crap for thinking any of Ruger's non-revolver guns are decent.
    I want to shoot the little LC9s. It seems like the most easily concealable out of all of these... and they are dirt cheap. My SR9 has been perfect through probably 700 rounds.

So, I got the opportunity to shoot my LC9s Pro today. Ran just over 200 rounds through it; some Federal aluminum-cased FMJs, some brass-cased FMJ, and some Speer Dot Gold hollow-points. It ate all of it just fine, and had no malfunctions, FTFs, FTEs, etc. It's a 7+1, so about a third of my day was reloading. :) But, it performed flawlessly; I think I'm keeping it. Night and day compared to carrying my M&P9.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    My edc is an xd e and I really like it. It has a good trigger and more capacity than the xds . I love having the decocker and use it instead of the safety. Mags aren't dirt cheap, but aren't horrible. The gun isn't too badly priced online.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    First, thanks to everyone that took a moment to respond!
    I found a range in South Bend that had nearly every item on the list available to rent. So, I’ll share my thoughts if anyone is interested.
    I had three favorites: Shield 2.0, XDS, and PPS. Which seems to align with what a lot of you said. The shield felt wrong before I got to shoot it, now it feels right. I like the feel, look, and stock sights better on the XDS, but I shot the shield better. The PPS felt great for a few mags, then it started biting my pinkie in the gap (counter to AngryRooster’s experience in his review). PPS felt the best while not shooting, but I think it’s out due to the pinkie thing, and local dealers selling it for a decent amount more than xds or shield.
    The G43 and LC9S both felt too small, and were not enjoyable at all for me to shoot.
    The PM9 trigger was a major turnoff and it gets last place on my list. Well, kind of... I didn’t even shoot the XDE because it was just too ugly in my eyes.
    I didn’t get to shoot the p365, XDS mod2, CM9, or 290RS. I did get to handle the 365, and it was cool, but I’m going to pass on it.

I checked out the micro 9 and 938 at another shop. They are both very cute, but not what I’m looking for right now.

In conclusion to this rambling... it’s shield 2.0 or XDS. I don’t love the pricing I saw in South Bend. I guess the internet had me expecting approx $100 less for each of them. But, I’d like to support a local store. Or I’d like to find a nice one in the classifieds.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    When I was looking for a single stack, the G43 wasn't even thought of yet. It was between the shield and xds. 2 things that made me choose the shield, the shield's mags are cheaper and it weighs less by several ounces

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First, thanks to everyone that took a moment to respond!
    I found a range in South Bend that had nearly every item on the list available to rent. So, I’ll share my thoughts if anyone is interested.
    I had three favorites: Shield 2.0, XDS, and PPS. Which seems to align with what a lot of you said. The shield felt wrong before I got to shoot it, now it feels right. I like the feel, look, and stock sights better on the XDS, but I shot the shield better. The PPS felt great for a few mags, then it started biting my pinkie in the gap (counter to AngryRooster’s experience in his review). PPS felt the best while not shooting, but I think it’s out due to the pinkie thing, and local dealers selling it for a decent amount more than xds or shield.
    The G43 and LC9S both felt too small, and were not enjoyable at all for me to shoot.
    The PM9 trigger was a major turnoff and it gets last place on my list. Well, kind of... I didn’t even shoot the XDE because it was just too ugly in my eyes.
    I didn’t get to shoot the p365, XDS mod2, CM9, or 290RS. I did get to handle the 365, and it was cool, but I’m going to pass on it.
    I checked out the micro 9 and 938 at another shop. They are both very cute, but not what I’m looking for right now.
    In conclusion to this rambling... it’s shield 2.0 or XDS. I don’t love the pricing I saw in South Bend. I guess the internet had me expecting approx $100 less for each of them. But, I’d like to support a local store. Or I’d like to find a nice one in the classifieds.

1. Your quest sounds similar to mine, with me having to learn the hard way about some of the guns mentioned (had to buy then sell realizing there was something different I enjoyed.
    2. My experience is that sometimes there was a gun I rejected early on that later I liked: go figure.
    3. The Sig 365 has to have the 12 round mag for good "purchase," at least that was my experience. I'm looking forward to getting mine in the mail (pricey: nearly $50), but I know my accuracy will improve since I used a friend's 365 with the 12 rounder.
    4. And, about accuracy: for up close and personal for actual use, I don't believe that is the primary factor. In real life it will be a "point and shoot" and a double-action only would be sufficient (imo). This is why I have a hammerless S/W 642 for a CC, even though I'd much rather have a snubbie with a hammer, and it was hard for me to sell a couple I had since they were so much more fun at the range, but for me, CC is not a range toy, but a utility tool.
    5. I will come under criticism for saying the above, and I am inexperienced about such things and only know what I read, so ignore that I said that, but many use a 5 shot revolver as a CC, but perhaps they do so as a back-up, where I use one for a primary with a semi-auto as a back-up.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    The xde isn't good looking at all, but does it matter for something you are shoving in a holster and hiding? I wouldn't dismiss it just based on looks.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    So, I got the opportunity to shoot my LC9s Pro today. Ran just over 200 rounds through it; some Federal aluminum-cased FMJs, some brass-cased FMJ, and some Speer Dot Gold hollow-points. It ate all of it just fine, and had no malfunctions, FTFs, FTEs, etc. It's a 7+1, so about a third of my day was reloading. :) But, it performed flawlessly; I think I'm keeping it. Night and day compared to carrying my M&P9.

These guys are pretty hard to beat price wise......https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ruger-l...teel-magazine-with-finger-rest-extension.html

Top Bottom