• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I carry a Glock 43 as an off duty weapon (not mine, issued to me). Added the grip +2 extensions and like it but had some trouble with it not locking open on the last shot. Never FTF or FTE, that was only issue. Always fired and operated, much better than the Glock 380.
    My wife really likes her Walther PPS M2 and it has been 100% reliable, I've shot it and found it handles well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I carry a Glock 43 as an off duty weapon (not mine, issued to me). Added the grip +2 extensions and like it but had some trouble with it not locking open on the last shot. Never FTF or FTE, that was only issue. Always fired and operated, much better than the Glock 380.
    My wife really likes her Walther PPS M2 and it has been 100% reliable, I've shot it and found it handles well.

Did the +2 extensions come with new mag springs? If not, that could be part of the issue of the slide not locking back when the mag is empty.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    First, thanks to everyone that took a moment to respond!
    I found a range in South Bend that had nearly every item on the list available to rent. So, I’ll share my thoughts if anyone is interested.
    I had three favorites: Shield 2.0, XDS, and PPS. Which seems to align with what a lot of you said. The shield felt wrong before I got to shoot it, now it feels right. I like the feel, look, and stock sights better on the XDS, but I shot the shield better. The PPS felt great for a few mags, then it started biting my pinkie in the gap (counter to AngryRooster’s experience in his review). PPS felt the best while not shooting, but I think it’s out due to the pinkie thing, and local dealers selling it for a decent amount more than xds or shield.
    The G43 and LC9S both felt too small, and were not enjoyable at all for me to shoot.
    The PM9 trigger was a major turnoff and it gets last place on my list. Well, kind of... I didn’t even shoot the XDE because it was just too ugly in my eyes.
    I didn’t get to shoot the p365, XDS mod2, CM9, or 290RS. I did get to handle the 365, and it was cool, but I’m going to pass on it.

I checked out the micro 9 and 938 at another shop. They are both very cute, but not what I’m looking for right now.

In conclusion to this rambling... it’s shield 2.0 or XDS. I don’t love the pricing I saw in South Bend. I guess the internet had me expecting approx $100 less for each of them. But, I’d like to support a local store. Or I’d like to find a nice one in the classifieds.

Now that you've gotten to this point take a look at the other things. Check out holster selection and cost, spare mag cost, parts availability, other such things. Think about how you might want to carry the gun now and in the future. I was always content with a kydex IWB holster for single stack guns, they never really bothered me. Last year after a trip to the ER I was told I have diverticulitis. It's not comfortable to carry IWB for me anymore, it hurts and gets that way pretty quick. OWB from here on. There isn't a huge selection of leather OWB holsters for the PPS. Hence part of the reason for a change to the Shield.

It's the little things now that will help you figure out the right one to choose.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    My edc for afew yrs now has been Kahr cm9. Great carry, not gonna break the wallet and has been 100%.This thing just runs with anythg ive put in it.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    Now that you've gotten to this point take a look at the other things. Check out holster selection and cost, spare mag cost, parts availability, other such things. Think about how you might want to carry the gun now and in the future. I was always content with a kydex IWB holster for single stack guns, they never really bothered me. Last year after a trip to the ER I was told I have diverticulitis. It's not comfortable to carry IWB for me anymore, it hurts and gets that way pretty quick. OWB from here on. There isn't a huge selection of leather OWB holsters for the PPS. Hence part of the reason for a change to the Shield.

It's the little things now that will help you figure out the right one to choose.

Yes sir.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My edc for afew yrs now has been Kahr cm9. Great carry, not gonna break the wallet and has been 100%.This thing just runs with anythg ive put in it.

I agree. I think I have been carrying a CM9 for over 4 years now. Keep wanting to upgrade, but haven't found anything better for me yet. My favorite part is it is about the smallest of the micro 9's out there. This summer I started pocket carrying it. I keep an 8 round mag in the other pocket in a sneaky pete mag pouch. Hey, Tim from the Military Arms Channel endorsed it back before his big beard, so it must be good. :laugh: Maybe next year I will get a P365...maybe. Not that I feel like I need it.

CCCCCCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2018
    T
    What works for you?

I suggest handling and shooting as many as you can before making a decision. I own a shield and would recommend it to anyone.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI

I knew the Shield 2.0 would have a ton of aftermarket support, but it looks like the XDS has a lot of support too.
    A cursory search tells me that holster options/pricing, and magazine pricing/availability are close enough to not worry about it.

I bet the price for the XDS will keep dropping with the introduction of the mod2.
    If I can find either one of them new for $350 or less I'm buying it.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I've had a number of these over the years. I'm surprised to report that the one that gets the most carry is the Beretta Nano - surprised that it shoots so well for me, since its trigger appears to have been developed from a staplegun. Fabulous deal at $199.99 brand new after rebate from Palmetto State last summer.

The P938 does well in the pocket and has a remarkably nice trigger for such a small, tiny thing:

The Glock 43 is barely bigger than the G42 and does get some carry; I just had it over in Phoenix on vacation last week:

The Kahrs always worked for me, but never stuck around for some reason. Here's a P9 Covert (that's the P9 slide on the PM9 frame - only made them a few years):

and here's a little CM9 next to a J-frame:

The Rohrbaugh was beautiful but kept cracking slides:

I had one of these first gen PPSs, too, but didn't keep it because I got irritated with what seemed to be an overly complicated design after having to replace a spring that broke:

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    For a small single stack 9mm, I carry the SIG 938. It works every time, nice trigger, full size night sights, capable of better accuracy than I am.

greed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I think you will be happy with a Shield or the 43. I have shot and like both (though I like double stack in my had better). The reason you want to try before you buy is to exercise the trigger and fit in your hand. I have a PM9 and I hate the trigger. It is a heavy trigger pull with a very long reset. It seems like they made it that way assuming folks would carry in their pocket with no holster, but you are too smart for that. :)

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Small hands here, I own LC9s Pro (No safety). I rented sub compacts to see what would fit best and found it a winner.
    Otherwise, M&P Shield,but make SURE it's a 2.0. The feel and reset are better IMO. Happy shootin'!

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My EDC is a Kahr CT40. Check out the CT series Kahrs, same sizes as the original series but lower priced due to elimination of polygonal rifling and lazer engraving. The CM series is smaller of course. Trigger takes a little getting used to but once you get the feel for it, it's really great. After carrying a CZ97 around for several years, the Kahr was a revelation. I kept thinking I forgot to put it on but yet, there it was.

Top Bottom