• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I wish to look at a handgun. The employee releases the mag, checks it, pulls back the slide, and checks the chamber/barrel. He or she then closes the gun back up and hands it to me. In keeping Rule #1 in mind, should I recheck the gun to see if it is unloaded, despite the fact I just watched the employee check it? :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I wish to look at a handgun. The employee releases the mag, checks it, pulls back the slide, and checks the chamber/barrel. He or she then closes the gun back up and hands it to me. In keeping Rule #1 in mind, should I recheck the gun to see if it is unloaded, despite the fact I just watched the employee check it? :dunno:

Yes.

/thread

:D

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Always. Anytime someone hands me a firearm. Even if they're giving it back to me after I just handed it to them. Better to be over cautious than dead.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Not to be a jerk, but in many years of handling firearms at gun stores, I never remember the employee "closing up" the gun. They almost always leave the slide locked open. But if they indeed close it up, recheck it yourself to make sure it is unloaded.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not to be a jerk, but in many years of handling firearms at gun stores, I never remember the employee "closing up" the gun. They almost always leave the slide locked open. But if they indeed close it up, recheck it yourself to make sure it is unloaded.

I've seen press checks before but usually it's as the above ^ ....... slide open and locked back.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    That is the first thing I ALWAYS do when I pick up a gun. Even if I just set it down 10 seconds ago. You can never be too safe but you can be too sorry.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Remember that people have been killed by an unloaded gun. Check it. Even if it visually looks empty, I check to see if I can feel anything in the chamber.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I always re-check and in the same effort check fit etc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes.

/thread

:D

Yep... Which is why I can't stand places that have zip ties on the gun to keep the slide from being moved. I can't stand being handed a gun that hasn't been checked and that I can't recheck. I usually ask for the zip tie to be removed.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If I was at a gun shop and the guy behind the counter handed me an auto with the slide closed I would say " No offense but I prefer to look myself" drawing special attention to my actions as I rack the slide open so that maybe the noob will listen and learn for his next interaction with a customer.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would comment but apparently someone (printcraft) has ended the thread with the second post....ahem.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Thanks all. I always check a gun after its been handed to me, even after the scenario I initially described. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking some sort of unwritten gun store rule.

It's much better to be safe than sorry. Always, always treat the gun as if it loaded.

Top Bottom