• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    If you're looking at dropping $500+ wouldn't you want to know what kind of tension the slide has anyway? As far as I'm concerned rackin the slide a couple times is part of getting a feel while deciding whether to buy it or not.

I always rack the slide several times when looking at a gun for the very reason you stated. Just now I know 100% that is the first thing to do, in conjunction with releasing the mag and doing both a visual and tactile check of the chamber and barrel.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Over time i have developed a habit of clearing the gun in front of some one and then handing it to them and say -- its loaded .. I dont know but it seemed to put the other person at ease to recheck it . right - wrong - different - they always check :-)

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I will jump on the check it again bandwagon as well. By checking it, not only are you verifying that the gun is empty, but shows the salesman you take the firearm seriously. There is always the remote possibility that the gun clerk chambered a round as he did the check and did not see. Probably crazy rare, but it does keep everyone safe.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I always drop mag, locked back slide, visually and by feel check the chamber to make sure its empty, lay verified empty mag on the counter, close weapon and hand it to my customer. You can tell the customers who are most comfortable/familiar with weapons, they almost always re-check the weapon (as opposed to finger on the trigger, etc) from that point a good many then insert the empty mag into the weapon, especially on subcompact guns to get overall feel, etc. I even re-check the gun when they had it back to me before i put it in the case. When in doubt, you can never be too sure

SPUTTER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    BEDFORD
    Always say you can never go wrong when checking a weapon even though you just watch someone do it. Even today when my sons come over and we look at each others weapon we still verify when handling, just a habit and not a bad one to get use to. I have a habit of handing the weapon to anyone with slide to rear or bolt open and mag well empty, condition 4 all the time.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you're looking at dropping $500+ wouldn't you want to know what kind of tension the slide has anyway? As far as I'm concerned rackin the slide a couple times is part of getting a feel while deciding whether to buy it or not.
    Yeah and I get people want to buy a "new gun" but I'm with you, plus if the gun cant handle such treatment then its not a gun I wish to own are my thoughts on it

Over time i have developed a habit of clearing the gun in front of some one and then handing it to them and say -- its loaded .. I dont know but it seemed to put the other person at ease to recheck it . right - wrong - different - they always check :-)
    I like this actually

Top Bottom