• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks all. I always check a gun after its been handed to me, even after the scenario I initially described. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking some sort of unwritten gun store rule.

It's much better to be safe than sorry. Always, always treat the gun as if it loaded.

Maybe it was a test... you might have failed if you didn't recheck it.

Never be afraid to follow the safety rules. If someone says something derogatory about it, tell them to pound sand and take your money elsewhere.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks all. I always check a gun after its been handed to me, even after the scenario I initially described. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking some sort of unwritten gun store rule.

It's much better to be safe than sorry. Always, always treat the gun as if it loaded.

Maybe it was a test... you might have failed if you didn't recheck it.

Never be afraid to follow the safety rules. If someone says something derogatory about it, tell them to pound sand and take your money elsewhere.

I don't worry about what they think.
    Most of the guys behind the counter that I've met don't mind. Most seem to even prefer you check yourself. It shows you know something.

And for those behind the counter that are insulted. Too bad.
    I've seen people look at stuff, without REALLY seeing.
    I watched the driver of a pick up truck look both ways, then drive right into the side of a van.
    He looked.
    But he didn't see.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm late it seems, but will ring in with the righteous mob here and say yes, please check it! And as noted, you get to check the slide action while you do so win win. Nobody is going to give you any grief about checking it yourself, and if they do that's not the gun store you want to be in.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Great question OP.

Every day here on INGO I see introductions from folks new to firearms. If they are like me when I first started I was a bit uncomfortable re-checking a gun that I just watched a salesperson check.

Once you learn about the four rules then it clicks. After a while it just becomes natural. Someone hands you a gun you just check it and don't even miss a beat. Now I think of it much like a professional courtesy.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yes, always look for an EMPTY chamber, not brass when seeing if it is loaded. And a tactile touch is always good practice too… Some gun stores or employees leave it on the counter with the slide locked back which is always nice but not always. So always check no matter how its given or what you have seen, not so much out the the danger aspect of it but more so to develop good habits and do the same thing every single time to ensure safety so a mishap does not happen ever really. Can't be too careful.

So even if the employee checks and hands it to my friend then checks it before looking and hands it to me, I then check. If I want to hand it to someone before the purchase or it goes back under the counter I would expect them to check also… Just good proper practice no matter how repetitious or redundant it may seem.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    ALWAYS check any firearm - NEVER trust anyone (even if you, yourself put the gun in the safe - recheck before handling /cleaning). When my son and I clean our firearms, unless the bolt is removed, when either of us hand a firearm to the other - even after we have seen the other unload check the firearm, we automatically check the firearm again. Anyone can make a mistake, when we both check the firearm the chances are cut in two, I am sure there are times we have passed a firearm between us more than a couple times - it is re-checked EVERY time.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I wish to look at a handgun. The employee releases the mag, checks it, pulls back the slide, and checks the chamber/barrel. He or she then closes the gun back up and hands it to me. In keeping Rule #1 in mind, should I recheck the gun to see if it is unloaded, despite the fact I just watched the employee check it? :dunno:
    I do. I don't trust that the chamber is empty unless it was my eyes that checked and I would encourage others to check after me too.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Next time you go to a store, watch what the clerk does after you give it back. They always check it before returning it to the shelf (in my experience).

Clerk checks it, hands it to you - you check it and dry fire it all day...he's right there watching you, yet he still checks it when you hand it back. If you don't, the clerk will probably identify you as a noob and treat you differently, especially if don't check it - sweep the room and aim at someone while you dry fire it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, coming in late to this thread.

I don't know if anyone said this or not, but OP, I suggest that YOU check it, as it's YOUR responsibility.

(Purple as necessary)

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    That is the first thing I ALWAYS do when I pick up a gun. Even if I just set it down 10 seconds ago. You can never be too safe but you can be too sorry.

A wise instructor likened it to looking both ways before you cross the street. Doesn't matter if you looked 30 seconds ago, or two minutes ago. You always look just before you cross. No exceptions.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    That's true being dead sucks. I doubt they would take any offense if they are responsible as well.

If you're looking at dropping $500+ wouldn't you want to know what kind of tension the slide has anyway? As far as I'm concerned rackin the slide a couple times is part of getting a feel while deciding whether to buy it or not.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I don't worry about what they think.
    Most of the guys behind the counter that I've met don't mind. Most seem to even prefer you check yourself. It shows you know something.

And for those behind the counter that are insulted. Too bad.
    I've seen people look at stuff, without REALLY seeing.
    I watched the driver of a pick up truck look both ways, then drive right into the side of a van.
    He looked.
    But he didn't see
    ^^that right there is why you check

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I wish to look at a handgun. The employee releases the mag, checks it, pulls back the slide, and checks the chamber/barrel. He or she then closes the gun back up and hands it to me. In keeping Rule #1 in mind, should I recheck the gun to see if it is unloaded, despite the fact I just watched the employee check it? :dunno:
    I agree with everybody on this one.
    However, and I may be splitting hairs here but the next question that I have is why did the salesman hand the customer the gun? In my view the gun should have been laid on the counter muzzle pointed away from both parties. I don't think that it is ever good form to have a firearm pass from hand to hand. Is that being too picky?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would be offended if you DIDNT also check the gun I just cleared before handing it to you.

I would be happy also, shows they know something.
    But SOME people get their ego bent, act as if it's a personal insult.
    Egos and guns are not good.

However, and I may be splitting hairs here but the next question that I have is why did the salesman hand the customer the gun? In my view the gun should have been laid on the counter muzzle pointed away from both parties. I don't think that it is ever good form to have a firearm pass from hand to hand. Is that being too picky?

If a gun is unloaded, slide-locked, and in a safe direction, I don't see a problem.
    But I'm guessing that varies from person to person

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN

Actually, I worded that wrong. Thinking back, no employee has ever handed a gun to me. They did as you stated. My bad.

Top Bottom