• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    I recently received my LTC and plan to start carrying as soon as I locate a firearm... however a question arose to me. When you carry, is it just the one clip, or do you have more ammo?

In a hypothetical shoot out, one clip would not last very long. Just curious.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I rarely carry a gun that takes a clip, usually an extra mag and speed strip for my 2 handguns

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    LPMan beat me to it!! I normally carry 1 extra magazine for my semi auto and a speed loader if carrying a revolver. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    in before the clip vs mag post.

...and here it comes!!!

thereisadifference2.jpg

clip-vs-magazine-gun-500x394.jpg

poster33090609rc9-tm.jpg

:D ;) :D

jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    I usually carry a sig 229 with one or two spare mags. It depends on how I am carrying the solder holster has a spot for two spare mags with only one on it, it feels unbalanced. If I have it on my side I carry a spare mag on the belt.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I carry a G23 with the magazine in it, so 13 rounds, then i carry an extra magazine in my pocket or on my belt (usually pocket though). so I carry 26 rounds altogether, never had to use any of it, knock on wood, so 26 rounds seems like more than enough. i like the comfort knowing i have an extra magazine with me though. but carry what works for you. :rockwoot:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I carry a G23 with the magazine in it, so 13 rounds, then i carry an extra magazine in my pocket or on my belt (usually pocket though). so I carry 26 rounds altogether, never had to use any of it, knock on wood, so 26 rounds seems like more than enough. i like the comfort knowing i have an extra magazine with me though. but carry what works for you. :rockwoot:

What you don't top your mag off after you chamber a round? You might need that 27th round one day :)

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I carry one extra mag.

My primary reason for doing so is NOT to have more rounds. It is to aid in clearing some malfunctions. If you have a double feed during a gun fight and you don't have a spare mag you are screwed (even more so than usual). The reason is that you must remove the magazine from your gun in order to clear it. It takes both hands to clear, so what do you do with your mag? Thats right, throw it on the ground. THAT is why you should always have a spare mag on you.

Having extra rounds is of course also nice.

Another viable alternative is to carry a 2nd gun.

I highly recommend you take a defensive pistol course. They should cover issues like this. Carrying a spare mag is great, but ALSO knowing how to do a tactical reload with retention and a speed reload is even better.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    That was quick, its just a play on words. I understand the difference between a clip and mag, it was directed toward the "one lump or two" saying.

I am currently looking into courses I have an eye on a few weapons, just waiting for the funds to obtain them. My home defense gun is on the way to my FFL. I chose the Mossberg 500A 12GA Riot with 18" barrel.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    With a:

• Sig 225, 1 or 2 spare 8-round magazines, depending on mood.
    • Ruger SR9, usually 1 spare 17-round magazine. Rarely, 2 spares.

For civilian street carry, I feel perfectly safe with 16 or less total capacity. 95% of the time...

Top Bottom