• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I'm carrying my 1911, then I carry 2 extra 8 rounders for 24 on hand (it's a compact, so the gun is carried with 7+1)
    If I'm carrying the Bersa 9HC, then only 1 spare mag for 35 rounds available.
    If I'm going anywhere near 38th street, then I carry the 9UC (13+1) and two HC mags for 48 rounds and a BUG with 2 spares for an extra 19 rounds.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Typically carry 1 spare mag for my M&P. I carry the full size mag (17 rds) even when I carry the compact 9. I just put the xgrip on the mag and throw it in the mag carrier.

Just bought a Kimber a while back and when I get a little bit more comfortable with the 1911 platform and break in the Silent Thunder holster, i'll probably carry just one extra mag with that gun too.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Carry a spare mag in front pocket. Then I also have a spare on the nightstand, and in the console of the car. Also 100 round box of ammo in the console. If I get involved in a shootout I'll have 28 rounds in mags and 100 spare to reload with if needed.:D

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    One or two spare magazines. On the rare occasions I carry a 1911, I will always carry two spares.

Never a spare for a BUG. If I run out of the primary AND the BUG, well, it's a bad day.

I keep thinking of getting a BUG that takes my primaries magazine, but the XD's never fail me no matter how hard I abuse them. Not saying it can't happen, it's just not likely ;)

Oh yeah, I never carry my Garand or SKS, so I don't carry any clips either ;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I carry two full size guns that use the same magazines. One is always concealed on my strong side hip the other is OC cross draw. The have a extended mag in the OC gun since I'm not concerned with it printing. I also carry two spare magazines but drawing a second gun is always faster than a reload.

I generally don't carry a spare. The way I figure it, the odds of me needing to fire more than 15 rds or having my mag fail in a firefight are so small, I don't bother most of the time. (when I carried a 1911, I did have a spare or 2 on me) I'm more concerned about being struck by lightning than being in some extended firefight/bad magazine scenario.

Not everyone shares my assessment of those risks, I get that. Some people like to be prepared for that 1 in a eleventy brajillion chance, and it certainly isn't a bad idea to have a spare (or 7) ready to go.

If you were really into just playing the odds you wouldn't carry a gun at all.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    8 round mag in the gun, 10 rounder in the pocket.

1911 mags are nice and slim, easy to hide.

:yesway:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I carry two full size guns that use the same magazines. One is always concealed on my strong side hip the other is OC cross draw. The have a extended mag in the OC gun since I'm not concerned with it printing. I also carry two spare magazines but drawing a second gun is always faster than a reload.

If you were really into just playing the odds you wouldn't carry a gun at all.

Marginal risk/reward. Odds are just one factor in risk/reward calculus
    Sure, for my lifestyle, odds of actually needing to carry are pretty slim. But they're still significantly greater than the odds of needing to Carry AND fire more than 15 rounds and/or have a mag failure while doing so.
    Somewhere in between those two probabilties is my personal comfort threshold.

Other people feel the need for for 240golf, 2 sidearms and a level IV vest, and I can respect that too.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Marginal risk/reward. Odds are just one factor in risk/reward calculus
    Sure, for my lifestyle, odds of actually needing to carry are pretty slim. But they're still significantly greater than the odds of needing to Carry AND fire more than 15 rounds and/or have a mag failure while doing so.
    Somewhere in between those two probabilties is my personal comfort threshold.

Other people feel the need for for 240golf, 2 sidearms and a level IV vest, and I can respect that too.

I understand. I was trying to offer some perspective. I don't set up my carry system based on any odds but on a reasonable level of sustainable convenience. If I can add levels of preparedness without compromising comfort or mobility I can't see a reason not to do it. I carry more than a lot of people. Two guns and two mags are only part of my EDC set up. It is things like wearing a vest all the time and anything else that would take some series physical sacrifice that are simply too much for me.

I guess what I wondering is that, knowing that the magazine is the weak link and the most likely thing to malfunction in a semi-auto, why not just drop a mag in your pocket or on your belt. Do you find it uncomfortable or cumbersome? Is the decision based solely on your assessment of the risks?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I understand. I was trying to offer some perspective. I don't set up my carry system based on any odds but on a reasonable level of sustainable convenience. If I can add levels of preparedness without compromising comfort or mobility I can't see a reason not to do it. I carry more than a lot of people. Two guns and two mags are only part of my EDC set up. It is things like wearing a vest all the time and anything else that would take some series physical sacrifice that are simply too much for me.

I guess what I wondering is that, knowing that the magazine is the weak link and the most likely thing to malfunction in a semi-auto, why not just drop a mag in your pocket or on your belt. Do you find it uncomfortable or cumbersome? Is the decision based solely on your assessment of the risks?

A bit of both, really. For me, that extra mag makes it a bit harder to conceal that I'm carrying, and I've got a desk jockey job, so the extra mag isn't all that comfortable for me.
    The risk comes in to the calculation because if there was a non-negligble risk (in my assessment) that I'd need that extra mag, I'd suck it up and carry it. But, since the odds/risk are so remote, I can't justify the added hassle and discomfort to myself.

Its just simple cost/benefit analysis: cost=added effort to conceal, added daily discomfort vs. benefit=insurance and peace of mind against an extremely remote combination of things happening (needing to use gun AND firing more than 15 rounds OR having mag failure)
    If the benefit were higher, like if extended shootouts by Joe Public happened more often, or mag were less reliable than they are, I'd pay the extra cost.
    Or, if the cost were lower (lived and worked where open carry was completely socially acceptable), I'd pay it even for the tiny benefit of insuring against a very small risk.

I do what I can in other regards to minimize mag related risk. I don't buy the knock-off mags, I thoroughly clean them, I replace the springs way more often than most people, etc. As result, after 10's of thousands of rounds since Uncle Sam gave me that first Beretta to the thousands that have come off my Dillon press, I can count on my hands the number of magazine related failures. They all came out of a cheap 1911 mag in my Kimber. Needless to say, that magazine never made it into my carry rig. Bought some Wilson 47Ds, and it never happened again. (Thats where lesson 1 came from: don't buy cheap mags!)

So to me, the risk is so tiny that it doesn't justify the added hassle of trying to conceal and the discomfort of a mag sticking into my lovehandles all day.

But I definitely see where you're coming from. If an extra mag is relatively 'cheap' (in terms of comfort and convenience) insurance against that 1 in eleventy bajillion chance, why the heck not carry it?

Sorry for longish post. :)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Thanks for the elaboration. :yesway:

A bit of both, really. For me, that extra mag makes it a bit harder to conceal that I'm carrying, and I've got a desk jockey job, so the extra mag isn't all that comfortable for me.
    The risk comes in to the calculation because if there was a non-negligble risk (in my assessment) that I'd need that extra mag, I'd suck it up and carry it. But, since the odds/risk are so remote, I can't justify the added hassle and discomfort to myself.

Its just simple cost/benefit analysis: cost=added effort to conceal, added daily discomfort vs. benefit=insurance and peace of mind against an extremely remote combination of things happening (needing to use gun AND firing more than 15 rounds OR having mag failure)
    If the benefit were higher, like if extended shootouts by Joe Public happened more often, or mag were less reliable than they are, I'd pay the extra cost.
    Or, if the cost were lower (lived and worked where open carry was completely socially acceptable), I'd pay it even for the tiny benefit of insuring against a very small risk.

I do what I can in other regards to minimize mag related risk. I don't buy the knock-off mags, I thoroughly clean them, I replace the springs way more often than most people, etc. As result, after 10's of thousands of rounds since Uncle Sam gave me that first Beretta to the thousands that have come off my Dillon press, I can count on my hands the number of magazine related failures. They all came out of a cheap 1911 mag in my Kimber. Needless to say, that magazine never made it into my carry rig. Bought some Wilson 47Ds, and it never happened again. (Thats where lesson 1 came from: don't buy cheap mags!)

So to me, the risk is so tiny that it doesn't justify the added hassle of trying to conceal and the discomfort of a mag sticking into my lovehandles all day.

But I definitely see where you're coming from. If an extra mag is relatively 'cheap' (in terms of comfort and convenience) insurance against that 1 in eleventy bajillion chance, why the heck not carry it?

Sorry for longish post. :)

Top Bottom