So Someone Slammed into Our Son Last Night!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My daughter bought me a dash cam for Christmas. I have it in the truck now. Still need to tweak it I'm sure. I did put a 32 gig card in it and I think I have it on loop.

It is a cheap maybe even generic version but the thought was there and I appreciate it. Once things slow down a bit I will look into another one of better picture quality maybe.

OP is the main reason I wanted one.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Fast forward a few years...
    "Barney" runs for county sheriff.
    When asked about his performance on this call, he says "I don't recall that run."
    Of course, "Barney" wins his race as county sheriff.

On a side note, Blain gets busy purchasing a couple of dash cams for him and the Mrs.
    It's time to quit thinking about it and pull the trigger.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The Barney described by the OP is unfortunately an all too common occurrence in today’s world. Having worked car accidents in my professional life for years I can tell you I spent hours and days undercutting the local yokel’s comments made on the initial accident reports. Accident reconstruction experts are worth their weight in gold when investigating the real facts underlying car wrecks. Best of luck to the OP and his son!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    He must have the same cop who wrote the report on my wreck last week. "Your fault for being in the way!" :rolleyes:

New car is getting a hardwired cam. And comprehensive. Used to be a time when you could count on common sense to result in people being held accountable for speeding/drinking/texting/running lights but apparently that went out the window with every other standard in society.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Relax there will be time for that someday when I assume room temperature. While slightly less fuel efficient there is a lot to be said safety wise for F250 4x4.

My first nice truck was a '96 F250 with the 351 motor. Even though only 2x4, it was a heavy beast. I always felt safe.

- One thought on dash cams (other than the fact I need to get them) - with all the front and rear camera systems in modern cars, why don't they offer a safety package that records the camera data and makes it accessible? I'd pay extra for a factory-installed quality package, and the Manufacturers could re-coup some of their money spent on the fancy cameras.

Glad it worked out as best it could for your son.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I’ve had similar experiences where the evidence makes it clear what happened but whatever overworked officer is doing the “investigation” just can’t seem to figure it out.

Dash cams are worth more than their weight in gold. People are dishonest.

Glad your son is ok.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    - One thought on dash cams (other than the fact I need to get them) - with all the front and rear camera systems in modern cars, why don't they offer a safety package that records the camera data and makes it accessible? I'd pay extra for a factory-installed quality package, and the Manufacturers could re-coup some of their money spent on the fancy cameras.
    Tesla does this, They have six cameras if I recall correctly. There’s even a YouTube channel that shows Tesla cams (whambamTeslacam I think of the name of it).

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I need to mention this to my daughter. They just bought a vehicle Friday to replace her Edge that got totaled last month when the drunk b*(&*% hit her and ran her off the road into a guardrail and then took off. She almost hit another vehicle as she was fleeing and ended up putting her car through a guardrail...and then again tried to run after they cut her out of the airbags. Drunk refused a breathalyzer and BAC was .198. Somehow, even with a long history of OWI arrests, she is being charged with all misdemeanors.

Nobody was hurt. The insurance is dealing with paying off her car and fighting with the drunk's insurance...couldn't believe she actually had a license and insurance...and the car has now been replaced.

I'm glad that your son wasn't injured. Sad that you can be doing everything right and have this sort of idiocy to deal with. A dash cam would be a good addition to the new car.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Wife gets the call so we head out, I am driving for sake expediency. So we arrived before Local PD. Scene was secured and I was directing traffic. and had a wrecker en route.

Local PD gets there and goes to other driver that is refusing to exit her Jeep Patriot, nor was she willing to produce proof of insurance or her license and registration. Finally she is ordered to exit her vehicle, she stumbles out can barely walk or speak with out slurring her speech. According to her our son was driving in excess of 90 mph lost control of his truck and slammed into her.

Having done accident reconstruction for a few years I kept my mouth shut despite the damage to her vehicle and our sons truck being totally inconsistent with her rendition.

At this point I am starting to loose patience with Barney and a field sobriety test was given which was an epic fail Twice For her.

Then Barney says well I really can’t say for certain who is at fault. Seriously! He says Her vehicle looks like it sustained a high speed impact.

Well Barney let me help you with the hard parts. So we go over to my sons truck , and he replays the Dash Cam footage show his speed at a Blazing 9 mph slowing down to 5 mph to make a right and you can hear his turn signal. Then you see the Jeep Patriot approaching his right Front in between the shoulder and bike lane. She pulls into oncoming traffic with no Headlights and slams into him. Then Barney Says I guess she is at fault!

By this time She was becoming quite belligerent then she attempts to drive off!
    Long Story Short Dash Cams are not just for professional applications !
    Happy that your son is OK. My youngest son was in an accident two years ago where all of the witnesses said that the thought he ran a red light and was hit by a driver making a left turn across the lane hw was traveling through. My son showed the responding officer the dash cam footage that clearly showed a solid green light when the other driver hit him. The cop said that without the dash cam footage, he'd have cited my son based on witness reports. The dash cam exonerated him and the other driver was cited for failure to yield to oncoming traffic.

We run dash cams in almost all of our vehicles. People often remember things that didn't happen or make stuff up to avoid blame. Dash cams can help preserve exactly what happened. They are cheap insurance in an irresponsible world.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Happy that your son is OK. My youngest son was in an accident two years ago where all of the witnesses said that the thought he ran a red light and was hit by a driver making a left turn across the lane hw was traveling through. My son showed the responding officer the dash cam footage that clearly showed a solid green light when the other driver hit him. The cop said that without the dash cam footage, he'd have cited my son based on witness reports. The dash cam exonerated him and the other driver was cited for failure to yield to oncoming traffic.

We run dash cams in almost all of our vehicles. People often remember things that didn't happen or make stuff up to avoid blame. Dash cams can help preserve exactly what happened. They are cheap insurance in an irresponsible world.
    Agreed they do so absent any emotion or preconceptions.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They are starting to. Keep in mind though that dash/in-car cameras can be used against you as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They are starting to. Keep in mind though that dash/in-car cameras can be used against you as well.

Not mention that your insurance company would love to know MORE about your driving habits also. They already offer discounts for tracking.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Not to Hijack and turn this into a dash cam thread (although maybe we should have one) but that’s always been my hang up with the thought of getting one. Who all has access to that video? We all know stories about voice activated devices, door cameras, web cams….for you guys that have put them in are you less concerned about dash cams? Is that because the video is all stored locally on the device vs a cloud hosted solution?

Top Bottom