So Someone Slammed into Our Son Last Night!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Not to Hijack and turn this into a dash cam thread (although maybe we should have one) but that’s always been my hang up with the thought of getting one. Who all has access to that video? We all know stories about voice activated devices, door cameras, web cams….for you guys that have put them in are you less concerned about dash cams? Is that because the video is all stored locally on the device vs a cloud hosted solution?
    Dash cams are entirely local as far as I know. The home cams all piggyback on your local wifi network to function and to give you remote viewing access. A dash cam would need an antenna and sim card in order to run cloud connectivity. The footage is also prohibitively large to be backing ALL of it up to the cloud via mobile connection, the subscription would be expensive.

Somebody may sell something like that but your consumer dash cams are all local storage only. Obviously the police or an insurer could simply subpoena the footage if needed, but the FBI can't dial in and turn on your dash cam for snooping.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    More vehicles are offering In-Car Wifi -- OnStar -- If they can shutdown a Car Remotely - they can grab Video

Whatever Sensor triggers the Airbags to Deploy - could Trigger a 15 sec Camera Upload --- OnStar already does the Remote Connect - Do You need Assistance when Air Bags Deploy

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not to Hijack and turn this into a dash cam thread (although maybe we should have one) but that’s always been my hang up with the thought of getting one. Who all has access to that video? We all know stories about voice activated devices, door cameras, web cams….for you guys that have put them in are you less concerned about dash cams? Is that because the video is all stored locally on the device vs a cloud hosted solution?
    Most dash cams are SD based. Even the built in solutions need a USB stick or SD card to record. Some will use your WiFi once you're home to upload things or your phone to piggy back. I don't believe any are cellular.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Upthread, I was talking about factory installed systems that could be local-stored data, just like the dash cam add-on systems. It seems feasible since you already have the quality camera systems in most cars. Could the data be misused? I'm sure it could, but it's already been proven how valuable dash cams are when used for their intended purpose. It would make it much more common for those of us who don't want to tinker with an ad-on system.

Top Bottom